Monday, May 18, 2026
33.1 C
New Delhi

Trump says Gaza ceasefire deal ‘beyond very close’, confirms Netanyahu’s backing

President Donald Trump on Monday said that a comprehensive Gaza peace deal is “beyond very close” and confirmed that Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu supports the plan, signaling strong US backing should Hamas reject it

President Donald Trump on Monday said that a comprehensive Gaza peace deal is “beyond very close” and confirmed that Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu supports the plan, signaling strong US backing should Hamas reject it.

“We’re at a minimum, very, very close. And I think we’re beyond very close,” The Guardian quoted Trump as saying during a press conference following a White House meeting with Netanyahu.

He said the 20‑point proposal, circulated among key Arab leaders, envisages an immediate ceasefire, Hamas disarmament, and a phased Israeli withdrawal tied to the release of hostages.

STORY CONTINUES BELOW THIS AD

“Israel will immediately end the war,” said Trump, adding that he and Netanyahu agreed on the framework, which also includes deploying a temporary international stabilisation force and forming a transitional authority headed by Trump himself.

On his part, Netanyahu said he supports the plan to end the war in Gaza, calling it a “critical step” toward ending the war and achieving peace in the Middle East.

“I believe that today we’re taking a critical step towards both ending the war in Gaza and setting the stage for dramatically advancing peace in the Middle East, I think beyond the Middle East,” CNN quoted Netanyahu as saying.

“I support your plan to end the war in Gaza, which achieves our war aims. It will bring back to Israel all our hostages, dismantle Hamas military capabilities and its political rule and ensure that Gaza never again poses a threat to Israel,” he added.

STORY CONTINUES BELOW THIS AD

Under the terms, Hamas militants would be excluded from post-conflict governance unless they disarm and commit to peaceful coexistence — in which case they may be eligible for amnesty.

Trump expressed cautious optimism that Hamas would accept the blueprint, though he acknowledged final approval from all parties remains pending.

I am “hearing that Hamas wants to get this done too”, said Trump as he cautioned that Netanyahu will maintain US support in the event Hamas declines to sign on to the agreement.

In a crucial change from Trump’s earlier apparent goals, Palestinians will not be forced to leave and instead, the document said, “we will encourage people to stay and offer them the opportunity to build a better Gaza.”

The US president had met key Arab leaders at the United Nations last week and said Sunday on social media that “ALL ARE ON BOARD FOR SOMETHING SPECIAL, FIRST TIME EVER.”

Netanyahu has recently given little reason for optimism, vowing in a defiant UN speech Friday to “finish the job” against Hamas and rejecting Palestinian statehood – recently recognised by several Western nations.

Normally a staunch ally of Netanyahu, the US president has shown increasing signs of frustration ahead of the Israeli premier’s fourth White House visit since Trump’s return to power.

STORY CONTINUES BELOW THIS AD

Trump was infuriated by Israel’s recent strike on Hamas members in key US ally Qatar.

With inputs from agencies

End of Article

Go to Source

Hot this week

Shakira acquitted in tax fraud case; court orders 55 mn refund

A Spanish court acquitted Shakira in a tax fraud case, ordering the government to return more than 55 million euros ($64 million) in wrongly imposed fines, a court document seen Monday by The Associated Press said. Read More

Texas whistleblower asks how H-1Bs live in beautiful, $800,000 houses, blames Biden for giving out loans

Sara Gonzales asks how Indians and Indian-origin people in the US have beautiful houses. Read More

Rajnath lands in Vietnam to boost defence ties, BrahMos sale may figure in talks

. Defence minister Rajnath Singh, who is on a two-nation tour to boost defence cooperation, landed in Vietnam capital Hanoi on Monday.Before leaving for Hanoi, Rajnath posted on X, “Today, 18th May, I shall be reaching Hanoi. Read More

Topics

Shakira acquitted in tax fraud case; court orders 55 mn refund

A Spanish court acquitted Shakira in a tax fraud case, ordering the government to return more than 55 million euros ($64 million) in wrongly imposed fines, a court document seen Monday by The Associated Press said. Read More

Texas whistleblower asks how H-1Bs live in beautiful, $800,000 houses, blames Biden for giving out loans

Sara Gonzales asks how Indians and Indian-origin people in the US have beautiful houses. Read More

Rajnath lands in Vietnam to boost defence ties, BrahMos sale may figure in talks

. Defence minister Rajnath Singh, who is on a two-nation tour to boost defence cooperation, landed in Vietnam capital Hanoi on Monday.Before leaving for Hanoi, Rajnath posted on X, “Today, 18th May, I shall be reaching Hanoi. Read More

Fertiliser subsidy bill may surge to Rs 2.4 lakh cr in FY27

. NEW DELHI: Govt’s fertiliser subsidy bill for 2026-27 may surge by Rs 70,000 crore to Rs 2.4 lakh crore because of rising import costs of urea and other fertilisers amid the ongoing West Asia crisis, officials said on Monday. Read More

Riot Games removes Arcane song “Remember Me” featuring D4vd amid first-degree murder case

Getty Images Riot Games has reportedly removed the Arcane soundtrack song “Remember Me” from some of its official music platforms following the criminal case involving D4vd. Read More

Related Articles