Thursday, May 21, 2026
35.1 C
New Delhi

Hegseth calls rare gathering of top military commanders in Quantico amid Pentagon overhaul

US Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth has called senior military commanders from across the globe to an unexpected high-level meeting next week in Quantico, Virginia, according to a report, citing five officials on Thursday

US Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth has called senior military commanders from across the globe to an unexpected high-level meeting next week in Quantico, Virginia, according to a Reuters report, citing five officials on Thursday.

The sudden gathering — described by officials as rare — has sparked uncertainty among attendees, with the purpose of the meeting still unclear.

Two officials said the short notice has disrupted long-standing plans, as many of the generals and admirals oversee large troop deployments and typically operate on tightly coordinated schedules set weeks in advance.

STORY CONTINUES BELOW THIS AD

“People are scrambling to change their plans and see if they have to attend,” Reuters quoted one US official as saying, speaking on the condition of anonymity.

It remains unclear how many senior officials will attend the meeting, but such a large concentration of top military brass in one room is highly unusual.

When asked for details, Pentagon spokesperson Sean Parnell offered a brief response: “The Secretary of War will be addressing his senior military leaders early next week.”

Parnell did not respond to further questions about the number of attendees, the meeting’s purpose, or the reason for the short notice.

President Trump has directed the Pentagon to officially rename itself the Department of War — a change that would require congressional approval.

US forces are stationed globally, including in far-flung regions like South Korea, Japan, and the Middle East, where they are commanded by senior two-, three-, and four-star generals and admirals.

Hegseth, a former Fox News host, has moved with stunning speed to reshape the department, firing top generals and admirals as he seeks to implement Trump’s national security agenda and root out diversity initiatives he calls discriminatory.

In February, he fired Air Force General C.Q. Brown, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, along with five other admirals and generals in an unprecedented shake-up of US military leadership.

STORY CONTINUES BELOW THIS AD

Last month, Hegseth fired the head of the Pentagon’s intelligence agency and two other senior military commanders.

In May, Hegseth ordered a 20% reduction in the number of four-star officers. In that May memo, Hegseth said there would also be a minimum 20% reduction in the number of general officers in the National Guard and an additional 10% reduction among general and flag officers across the military.

“More generals and admirals does not lead to more success,” Hegseth said at the time.

Now, many of those generals and admirals will be in the same room.

“It’s probably more mundane than people think… (but) the lack of clarity isn’t helping,” the official said.

With inputs from agencies

End of Article

Go to Source

Hot this week

Mystery substance scare: 3 dead, first responders quarantined over toxic exposure in US

New Mexico State Police respond to home in Mountainair, where authorities say several people died and more than a dozen first responders were exposed to an unknown substance (AP) Three people died and more than a dozen first responde Read More

Israel Built A Hamas Kill List After Oct 7. Then, It Launched A High-Tech Mission To Bring Them Down

The campaign relies heavily on surveillance technology, intercepted communications and digital evidence left behind by the attackers themselves Go to Source Read More

The New Inheritance Debate Is About Your Phone, Photos And Passwords

An Indian court case involving access to a deceased man’s Apple account is raising questions about digital inheritance, online memories, and who owns our digital lives after death Go to Source Author: News18 Read More

GK: Which Country Consumes The Most Number Of Samosas In The World?

In this country, the classic classic chai–samosa combination thrives with people eating around 3.42 million samosas and 2.9 million cups of adrak chai. Read More

After Bihar poll drubbing, Prashant Kishor opts for ashram life till next polls

NEW DELHI: Jan Suraaj founder Prashant Kishor on Wednesday said that he had moved to an ashram on the outskirts of Patna till the next assembly polls in Bihar. Read More

Topics

Mystery substance scare: 3 dead, first responders quarantined over toxic exposure in US

New Mexico State Police respond to home in Mountainair, where authorities say several people died and more than a dozen first responders were exposed to an unknown substance (AP) Three people died and more than a dozen first responde Read More

Israel Built A Hamas Kill List After Oct 7. Then, It Launched A High-Tech Mission To Bring Them Down

The campaign relies heavily on surveillance technology, intercepted communications and digital evidence left behind by the attackers themselves Go to Source Read More

The New Inheritance Debate Is About Your Phone, Photos And Passwords

An Indian court case involving access to a deceased man’s Apple account is raising questions about digital inheritance, online memories, and who owns our digital lives after death Go to Source Author: News18 Read More

GK: Which Country Consumes The Most Number Of Samosas In The World?

In this country, the classic classic chai–samosa combination thrives with people eating around 3.42 million samosas and 2.9 million cups of adrak chai. Read More

After Bihar poll drubbing, Prashant Kishor opts for ashram life till next polls

NEW DELHI: Jan Suraaj founder Prashant Kishor on Wednesday said that he had moved to an ashram on the outskirts of Patna till the next assembly polls in Bihar. Read More

Ebola Scare In Delhi? IGI Airport Issues Health Alert For International Travellers

Ebola is a rare but serious viral disease that can spread between humans and has a high death rate in severe cases. Read More

After Schools, Bengal Makes Vande Mataram Mandatory In All Madarsas

West Bengal government orders all madarsas under West Bengal Madrasah Education Board to make Vande Mataram compulsory. Read More

Related Articles