Thursday, May 21, 2026
43.1 C
New Delhi

‘Court is a national security threat’: US sanctions ICC judges over Netanyahu arrest warrant, sparking global backlash

“The Court is a national security threat that has been an instrument for lawfare against the United States and our close ally Israel,” Rubio said in a statement

The United States on Wednesday defiantly expanded efforts to hobble the International Criminal Court over its prosecution of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, sanctioning a judge from ally France.

Secretary of State Marco Rubio also targeted a Canadian judge in a separate case in his latest volley of sanctions against the tribunal in The Hague, which is backed by virtually all other Western democracies as a court of last resort.

“The Court is a national security threat that has been an instrument for lawfare against the United States and our close ally Israel,” Rubio said in a statement, using a term popular with President Donald Trump’s supporters.

STORY CONTINUES BELOW THIS AD

He attacked the court for investigating US and Israeli citizens “without the consent of either nation.”

Among the four people newly slapped with sanctions was Judge Nicolas Guillou of France, who is presiding over a case in which an arrest warrant was issued for Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.

France – whose president, Emmanuel Macron, was in Washington two days earlier – expressed “dismay” over the action.

The sanctions are “in contradiction to the principle of an independent judiciary,” a foreign ministry spokesman said in Paris.

The ICC in its own statement denounced the “flagrant attack against the independence of an impartial judicial institution.”

The court’s prosecution alleges Netanyahu is responsible for war crimes and crimes against humanity in Israel’s offensive in Gaza including by intentionally targeting civilians and using starvation as a method of war.

Netanyahu saluted Rubio for his “decisive act against a smear campaign of lies against the State of Israel” and the Israeli army.

Israel launched the massive offensive in response to an unprecedented attack by Hamas against Israel in which mostly civilians were killed.

The ICC has also sought the arrest of former Israeli defense minister Yoav Gallant and Hamas commander Mohammed Deif, who has since been confirmed killed by Israel.

STORY CONTINUES BELOW THIS AD

Guillou is a veteran jurist who previously participated in trials over Kosovo and Lebanon. He worked for several years in the United States assisting the Justice Department with judicial cooperation during Barack Obama’s presidency.

Under the sanctions, he will be refused entry to the United States and any assets he has in the world’s largest economy will be blocked – measures more often taken against US adversaries than citizens of friendly nations.

Defending Israel, exempting Putin

Also targeted by the latest US sanctions was a Canadian judge, Kimberly Prost, who was involved in a case that authorized an investigation into alleged crimes committed during the war in Afghanistan, including by US forces.

Rubio also slapped sanctions on two deputy prosecutors – Nazhat Shameem Khan of Fiji and Mame Mandiaye Niang of Senegal.

The State Department said the two were punished by the United States for supporting “illegitimate ICC actions against Israel,” including by supporting the arrest warrants against Netanyahu and Gallant.

Rubio imposed sanctions on four other ICC judges in June.

The Trump administration has roundly rejected the authority of the court, which was set up as a court of last resort when national systems do not allow for justice.

STORY CONTINUES BELOW THIS AD

Trump on Friday welcomed Russian President Vladimir Putin to Alaska even though Putin faces an ICC arrest warrant, a factor that has stopped him from traveling more widely since he ordered the invasion of Ukraine.

The United States, Russia and Israel are among the nations that reject the ICC.

Previous president Joe Biden’s administration also opposed its action against Israel but withdrew previous sanctions and was open to narrow cooperation with the ICC, including in gathering evidence in Ukraine.

End of Article

Go to Source

Hot this week

FIDE CEO reacts to Alireza Firouzja’s withdrawal from Super Chess Classic: ‘Unfair towards Praggnanandhaa’

Alireza Firouzja withdrawal from Super Chess Classic Romania tournament after five round will be ‘unfair’ to R Praggnanandhaa and world title challenger Javokhir Sindarov, feels the FIDE CEO. Read More

UK net migration falls below 200,000 as stricter visa rules cut arrivals

UK net migration fell below 200,000 UK net migration has fallen below 200,000 for the first time since the Covid pandemic, driven largely by a sharp fall in the number of people arriving for work, according to new official figures. Read More

Servers in the ocean: World’s first offshore underwater AI data centre launched in China

China has officially launched the world’s first commercial offshore wind-powered underwater AI data centre off the coast of Shanghai’s Lingang Special Area. Read More

Hamza Burhan, linked to Pulwama attack, killed by unknown gunmen in PoK’s Muzaffarabad

Linked to Pakistan-backed terror outfit Al-Badr, Hamza Burhan was reportedly killed by unidentified attackers in Muzaffarabad, with officials calling it a major blow to terror propaganda and recruitment networks in Jammu and Kashmir. Read More

US-Iran Peace Deal Closer? Asim Munir Heads To Tehran As Iran Prepares Reply To Truce Offer

US President Donald Trump has said negotiations with Iran had entered their “final stages”, signalling optimism about a possible breakthrough. Read More

Topics

FIDE CEO reacts to Alireza Firouzja’s withdrawal from Super Chess Classic: ‘Unfair towards Praggnanandhaa’

Alireza Firouzja withdrawal from Super Chess Classic Romania tournament after five round will be ‘unfair’ to R Praggnanandhaa and world title challenger Javokhir Sindarov, feels the FIDE CEO. Read More

UK net migration falls below 200,000 as stricter visa rules cut arrivals

UK net migration fell below 200,000 UK net migration has fallen below 200,000 for the first time since the Covid pandemic, driven largely by a sharp fall in the number of people arriving for work, according to new official figures. Read More

Servers in the ocean: World’s first offshore underwater AI data centre launched in China

China has officially launched the world’s first commercial offshore wind-powered underwater AI data centre off the coast of Shanghai’s Lingang Special Area. Read More

Hamza Burhan, linked to Pulwama attack, killed by unknown gunmen in PoK’s Muzaffarabad

Linked to Pakistan-backed terror outfit Al-Badr, Hamza Burhan was reportedly killed by unidentified attackers in Muzaffarabad, with officials calling it a major blow to terror propaganda and recruitment networks in Jammu and Kashmir. Read More

US-Iran Peace Deal Closer? Asim Munir Heads To Tehran As Iran Prepares Reply To Truce Offer

US President Donald Trump has said negotiations with Iran had entered their “final stages”, signalling optimism about a possible breakthrough. Read More

Why Dining Out Has Become The New Luxury For Millennials And Gen Z

Millennials, Gen Z are redefining luxury through immersive dining, experiential hospitality, culturally driven food experiences that prioritise connection over material possessions Go to Source Author: News18 Read More

Thanks To Climate Change, Heat Stress Is The Next Big Workplace Health Challenge

The ILO’s report, ‘Heat at Work: Implications for Safety and Health: A Global Review of the Science, Policy, and Practice’ talks about heat stress in the workplace. Read More

Related Articles