Saturday, November 29, 2025
15.1 C
New Delhi

YouTube to pay $24.5 mn to settle lawsuit with Trump, funds to be used for White House ballroom

A major share of the settlement, $22 million of the sum will be allocated to the Trust for the National Mall to fund the construction of a new White House ballroom.

Google-owned YouTube has agreed to a $24.5 million settlement with US President Donald Trump, ending a prolonged legal clash over the suspension of his channel in early 2021. The ban, imposed after the Capitol riots, was part of a wider move by social media companies that cited the risk of further unrest.  

John Coale, the lawyer representing Trump in his battles with tech firms, told Bloomberg, “I’m happy, the President is happy to get this resolved.” Google, which owns YouTube, did not offer a statement.

STORY CONTINUES BELOW THIS AD

Settlement channels funds into legacy project

Under the settlement, $22 million will be allocated to the Trust for the National Mall to fund a new ballroom at the White House, styled after the reception halls of Trump’s Mar-a-Lago estate in Florida, according to Reuters.

The approach mirrors earlier agreements where Trump directed compensation towards projects shaping his legacy. In January, Meta Platforms paid $25 million in settlement, with $22 million from that sum designated for the construction of a Trump presidential library.

Trump’s track record with tech giants

Since returning to the presidency last November, Trump has wrapped up multiple legal challenges with large tech companies. In February, he ended his case against Twitter, now rebranded as X, in what reports suggested was a $10 million settlement.

Initially, Trump had filed cases against Google, Facebook, and X (formerly Twitter) together, aiming not only for damages but also for legal restrictions on platforms’ authority to suspend or moderate users. Courts consistently upheld that social media platforms enjoy broad First Amendment rights in content moderation, yet Trump kept up the fight until the recent wave of settlements.

The agreement comes at a time when Google is navigating a host of antitrust battles with the US Department of Justice. Regulators have accused the company of monopolising online advertising and search services. Earlier this month, however, a federal judge in Washington rejected calls for Google to divest its Chrome browser, offering the company a legal win.

End of Article

Go to Source

Hot this week

‘Divert their flights to…’: British far-right activist reacts to UAE stopping visas for Pakistani citizens

British Far-right anti-Islam activist Tommy Robinson weighed in on after reports emerged that the United Arab Emirates has stopped issuing visas to most Pakistani citizens. Read More

France’s Macron to host Zelenskyy in Paris for talks on achieving ‘just and lasting peace’

Emmanuel Macron will meet Volodymyr Zelenskyy in Paris to discuss “the conditions for a just and lasting peace” as US President Donald Trump advances a Russia-leaning peace plan. Read More

Moldova closes airspace after Russian drones cross border for third time in nine days

Moldovan authorities said on Saturday that Russian drones had entered the country’s airspace, posing a threat to aviation, in the third such incident in nine days. Read More

Gaza’s Death Toll Crosses 70,000 As Bodies Identified In Rubble Amid Fragile Ceasefire

A total of 301 people were added to the toll since Thursday as people identified bodies buried in the rubble for some time, while Israeli strikes continue despite a ceasefire. Read More

‘Incredible Work’: IAF Undertakes Daring Rescue Missions To Save Ditwah-Hit Sri Lankans | Watch

Indian helicopters and warships like INS Vikrant and INS Udaygiri are aiding Sri Lanka after cyclone Ditwah, delivering relief and rescuing thousands. Read More

Topics

‘Divert their flights to…’: British far-right activist reacts to UAE stopping visas for Pakistani citizens

British Far-right anti-Islam activist Tommy Robinson weighed in on after reports emerged that the United Arab Emirates has stopped issuing visas to most Pakistani citizens. Read More

France’s Macron to host Zelenskyy in Paris for talks on achieving ‘just and lasting peace’

Emmanuel Macron will meet Volodymyr Zelenskyy in Paris to discuss “the conditions for a just and lasting peace” as US President Donald Trump advances a Russia-leaning peace plan. Read More

Moldova closes airspace after Russian drones cross border for third time in nine days

Moldovan authorities said on Saturday that Russian drones had entered the country’s airspace, posing a threat to aviation, in the third such incident in nine days. Read More

Gaza’s Death Toll Crosses 70,000 As Bodies Identified In Rubble Amid Fragile Ceasefire

A total of 301 people were added to the toll since Thursday as people identified bodies buried in the rubble for some time, while Israeli strikes continue despite a ceasefire. Read More

‘Incredible Work’: IAF Undertakes Daring Rescue Missions To Save Ditwah-Hit Sri Lankans | Watch

Indian helicopters and warships like INS Vikrant and INS Udaygiri are aiding Sri Lanka after cyclone Ditwah, delivering relief and rescuing thousands. Read More

Playwright Sir Tom Stoppard dies at 88

Sir Tom Stoppard, one of the UK’s best-known playwrights, has died aged 88, his agents have announced. Read More

Delhi Blast Accused Shaheen Shahid Sought To Build Women-Led Terror Network, Reveals NIA Probe

The National Investigation Agency (NIA) brought Shahid, a former pharmacologist at Al-Falah University, to the university campus on Thursday for on-site questioning. Read More

Pakistan Shelved Military Action Against Afghanistan After Qatar’s Mediation Request

Islamabad, Nov 29 (PTI) Pakistan cancelled a potential military action against Afghanistan at Qatar’s request last month, Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Ishaq Dar said on Saturday. Read More

Related Articles