Friday, February 20, 2026
16.1 C
New Delhi

How ‘10 days and nights of torture’ challenge led to French influencer’s death on livestream

In a tragic turn of events, French online streamer Jean Pormanove, aka Raphael Graven, died at 46 during a 10-day extreme challenge livestream on social media platform Kick. The 46-year-old influencer, who had a million followers, passed away on camera. The cruel livestream, during which he faced physical violence, sleep deprivation, and even ingested toxic products, dragged on for nearly 300 hours nonstop

In a tragic turn of events, French influencer Jean Pormanove lost his life at just 46 while live-streaming a series of extreme challenges that lasted for 10 days.

Jean, whose real name was Raphael Graven, was widely known for his daring IRL broadcasts and marathon sessions online. On the morning of August 18, he tragically died on camera at his rented home in Contes, France, bringing his final stream to an unfortunate end.

STORY CONTINUES BELOW THIS AD

News of his sudden passing sent shockwaves through France’s online community. Both fans and authorities are now raising serious concerns about the dangerous streaming culture that seemed to push him beyond human limits.

Here’s what we know so far about Jean Pormanove’s story.

What was the ‘10 days and nights of torture’ challenge?

Jean had taken on what viewers came to call the “10 days and nights of torture” challenge, a livestream that dragged on for nearly 300 hours non-stop.

According to French news outlet BFMTV, the ordeal involved “extreme” physical violence, “sleep deprivation”, and even “the ingestion of toxic products”.

Before his death, Jean was allegedly subjected to repeated violence on stream. His past content already showed worrying patterns: he was slapped, spat on, strangled, and had objects hurled at him, often framed as part of the “challenge” or for audience amusement.

French newspaper Le Monde reported that Jean, who had once served as a soldier, was routinely beaten and humiliated by two fellow influencers, Naruto and Safine. In several clips, they were seen throwing objects at him, forcing food into his mouth while he was tied up, and even shooting him with a paintball gun.

Editor’s Picks

STORY CONTINUES BELOW THIS AD

Naruto and Safine were taken into custody in January 2025 on suspicion of violence against vulnerable people – before being released.

A few days before the end, Jean left a chilling message for his mother. He told her he felt like he was “being held hostage” and admitted he was “fed up” with the streaming.

For around four years, Jean had been running similar “humiliation livestreams” that attracted a steady audience online. With over a million followers across his social media platforms and a particularly strong community on Kick, Jean had built a name for himself in the world of streaming.

Also read: 12-yr-old in UK nearly loses life to chroming. What we know about TikTok trend popular with teens

Jean’s tragic passing

On the morning of August 18, Jean’s final marathon stream came to a devastating end.

In the video, Jean and the other streamers were lying on mattresses. When they began to wake up, they realised something was wrong, he was not responding. One viewer even claimed to have seen a man throw a water bottle at him, but Jean remained motionless. Moments later, the livestream was cut off.

STORY CONTINUES BELOW THIS AD

His co-creator Naruto later confirmed the news on Instagram, urging people not to circulate the disturbing clips from that morning. “I ask you all to respect his memory and not share the video of his last breath in his sleep,” he wrote.

A few days before the end, Jean left a chilling message for his mother. He told her he felt like he was “being held hostage” and admitted he was “fed up” with the streaming. Image courtesy: X

Clara Chappaz, France’s minister of digital affairs, described the incident as an “absolute horror.”

“The death of Jean Pormanove and the violence he endured are an absolute horror. I extend my deepest condolences to his family and loved ones. Jean Pormanove was humiliated and mistreated for months live on the Kick platform. A judicial investigation is underway. I have referred the matter to Arcom and made a report on Pharos. I have also contacted the platform’s management to obtain explanations,” she wrote on X.

Chappaz emphasised that online platforms cannot ignore their legal responsibilities: “The responsibility of online platforms regarding the dissemination of illicit content is not optional: it is the law. This type of failure can lead to the worst and has no place in France, Europe, or anywhere else.”

Streaming platform under fire

Jean’s death has triggered urgent concerns about online safety, cyberbullying, and the lack of rules around extreme livestreaming in France.

Sarah El Hairy, France’s high commissioner for children, called the incident “horrifying” in a statement on social media.

“Platforms have an immense responsibility in regulating online content so that our children are not exposed to violent content. I call on parents to exercise the utmost vigilance,” she wrote.

STORY CONTINUES BELOW THIS AD

The streaming platform Kick has since said it is “urgently reviewing” its community guidelines. A spokesperson told the BBC that the site was “committed to upholding these standards across our platform.”

Kick’s own terms of service already forbid content involving self-harm, excessive violence, or anything illegal, yet critics argue those rules were clearly not enforced.

With input from agencies

End of Article

Go to Source

Hot this week

Indian-Origin Woman Jailed Two Weeks For Slapping Taxi Driver Over Rs 1,600 Fare In Singapore

Devarajan insisted she had no cash or means of cashless payment and called someone for assistance. Read More

Paul Costelloe honoured at first fashion show helmed by his son

William Costelloe paid tribute to his late father, Irish designer Paul Costelloe, on Thursday, ⁠as he presented the fashion label’s first collection since its founder’s death in November. Read More

4-year-old locked in school overnight

AI-generated image Nagpur: A four-year-old boy was accidentally locked overnight inside his school classroom in Nagpur’s Khaparkheda, sparking panic in his family. Read More

Sena UBT stakes claim to Rajya Sabha, council seats MVA can win

Aaditya Thackeray (File photo) Mumbai: The battle for Maharashtra’s limited opposition seats intensified Thursday as Sena UBT’s Aaditya Thackeray virtually staked his party’s claim to the Maha Vikas Aghadi’s Read More

Bombay HC draws curtain on 1947 land dispute

Bombay HC MUMBAI: A suit dating back to the year India got independence finally stood disposed of by the Bombay high court this month, with the fourth generation of the original land owner amicably settling a property dispute. Read More

Topics

Indian-Origin Woman Jailed Two Weeks For Slapping Taxi Driver Over Rs 1,600 Fare In Singapore

Devarajan insisted she had no cash or means of cashless payment and called someone for assistance. Read More

Paul Costelloe honoured at first fashion show helmed by his son

William Costelloe paid tribute to his late father, Irish designer Paul Costelloe, on Thursday, ⁠as he presented the fashion label’s first collection since its founder’s death in November. Read More

4-year-old locked in school overnight

AI-generated image Nagpur: A four-year-old boy was accidentally locked overnight inside his school classroom in Nagpur’s Khaparkheda, sparking panic in his family. Read More

Sena UBT stakes claim to Rajya Sabha, council seats MVA can win

Aaditya Thackeray (File photo) Mumbai: The battle for Maharashtra’s limited opposition seats intensified Thursday as Sena UBT’s Aaditya Thackeray virtually staked his party’s claim to the Maha Vikas Aghadi’s Read More

Bombay HC draws curtain on 1947 land dispute

Bombay HC MUMBAI: A suit dating back to the year India got independence finally stood disposed of by the Bombay high court this month, with the fourth generation of the original land owner amicably settling a property dispute. Read More

Modi calls for inclusive AI, unveils MANAV framework

Modi and Macron NEW DELHI: Prime Minister Narendra Modi pushed on Thursday for democratisation of AI, saying it must become a tool for inclusion and empowerment and a force for global good, especially across the Global South, while t Read More

Shillong MP Ricky Syngkon collapses while playing futsal; dies

Shillong MP Ricky Syngkon Shillong: Lok Sabha MP Ricky AJ Syngkon died on Thursday after collapsing while playing futsal in Shillong, reports Manosh Das. Read More

‘Peaky Blinders’ trailer: Cillian Murphy returns as Tommy Shelby

Cillian Murphy makes his official return as Tommy Shelby, this time, in the big screen adaptation of his hit television series ‘Peaky Blinders: The Immortal Man’. Read More

Related Articles