Wednesday, February 18, 2026
18.1 C
New Delhi

‘Deepest Apologies’: Lalit Modi After ‘Love U’ Post For Vijay Mallya Triggers Backlash

Show Quick Read

Key points generated by AI, verified by newsroom

Days after the Ministry of External Affairs said India would work to bring back all fugitives, former IPL chairman Lalit Modi issued a public apology for his recent social media activity. Posting on X, Modi said he never meant to hurt anyone’s feelings, especially those of the Indian government. He said he respects the government and that his earlier remarks were misunderstood. 

The apology followed strong criticism over a video featuring fugitive businessman Vijay Mallya, which many users felt mocked India’s system.

Lalit Modi’s Apology After Social Media Backlash

Lalit Modi’s apology came after his social media post sparked widespread anger online. In his message, he clearly stated that his words were taken out of context. 

He said the post was never meant to be seen in the way it was portrayed and stressed that he holds the Indian government in high regard. Modi added that he deeply regretted the misunderstanding and offered his “deepest apologies” to anyone who felt offended.

The timing of the apology was important. Just days earlier, the Ministry of External Affairs had said India would make efforts to bring back all fugitives. Against this backdrop, Modi’s social media activity drew even sharper attention. 

Many users questioned the intent behind his words and accused him of showing disrespect. His apology appeared to be an attempt to calm the situation and clarify that there was no malicious intention behind his post.

Despite the apology, Modi did not go into detail about the controversy itself. He chose not to directly address the criticism or explain the context of the video that triggered the backlash. His statement focused only on expressing regret and clearing his stance.

Vijay Mallya Video Controversy Triggers Outrage

The controversy started after a video of Lalit Modi and Vijay Mallya appeared on social media last week. The clip was recorded at what looked like Vijay Mallya’s birthday celebration. 

In the video, Lalit Modi introduced himself and Mallya as “the two biggest fugitives of India.” This line quickly became the centre of online outrage.

The video was shared on Instagram by Lalit Modi with a caption that said, “Let’s break the internet down in India again. Happy birthday my friend #VijayMallya. Love u.” 

Many social media users felt the tone of the post was mocking and insensitive. Critics accused both men of making fun of the Indian system while living abroad.

As reactions grew stronger, the pressure on Lalit Modi increased. His apology followed soon after, aiming to explain that the remarks were misconstrued. However, he did not make any further comments on the video itself or respond to the criticism surrounding it.

Go to Source

Hot this week

‘If They Force Us To Choose…’: US Congressman Under Fire For Post Comparing Muslims To Dogs

Randy Fine later said his post was a response to comments by Palestinian-American activist Nerdeen Kiswani. Read More

‘Red Lines Are Clear’: JD Vance Says US–Iran Talks Show Limited Progress, Military Option Open

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said a “new window has opened” for a possible agreement. Read More

Hate speech PIL ‘targets’ BJP CMs: Supreme Court

Representational image NEW DELHI: SC on Tuesday criticised 12 ’eminent’ persons who together filed a PIL “targeting” CMs of BJP-governed states for alleged hate speeches while making a plea for framing guidel Read More

Madras HC reverses 2017 acquittal, convicts 21 in murder case

Madras HC CHENNAI: Over eight years after a trial court acquitted 23 accused of killing a man over an election rivalry in Villupuram in 2013, Madras HC on Tuesday reversed the order and convicted and sentenced 21 of them to life imp Read More

Salim Khan hospitalised: Fans SLAM paparazzi

Bollywood superstar Salman Khan was visibly frustrated with paparazzi as he left the Lilavati Hospital in Mumbai in the early hours of Wednesday morning, after visiting his father, veteran screenwriter Salim Khan, who is currently und Read More

Topics

‘If They Force Us To Choose…’: US Congressman Under Fire For Post Comparing Muslims To Dogs

Randy Fine later said his post was a response to comments by Palestinian-American activist Nerdeen Kiswani. Read More

‘Red Lines Are Clear’: JD Vance Says US–Iran Talks Show Limited Progress, Military Option Open

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said a “new window has opened” for a possible agreement. Read More

Hate speech PIL ‘targets’ BJP CMs: Supreme Court

Representational image NEW DELHI: SC on Tuesday criticised 12 ’eminent’ persons who together filed a PIL “targeting” CMs of BJP-governed states for alleged hate speeches while making a plea for framing guidel Read More

Madras HC reverses 2017 acquittal, convicts 21 in murder case

Madras HC CHENNAI: Over eight years after a trial court acquitted 23 accused of killing a man over an election rivalry in Villupuram in 2013, Madras HC on Tuesday reversed the order and convicted and sentenced 21 of them to life imp Read More

Salim Khan hospitalised: Fans SLAM paparazzi

Bollywood superstar Salman Khan was visibly frustrated with paparazzi as he left the Lilavati Hospital in Mumbai in the early hours of Wednesday morning, after visiting his father, veteran screenwriter Salim Khan, who is currently und Read More

95-yr-old unable to walk, court goes to him, delivers verdict

Representational image PATNA: The justice clock at Patna district courts ticked towards a rare moment on Monday when special judge Avinash Kumar of the CBI court delivered the verdict in a 15-year-old bank fraud case not inside a co Read More

Loosening pyjama string is ‘attempt to rape’: SC sets aside controversial Allahabad HC ruling

Supreme Court NEW DELHI: Supreme Court on Tuesday ruled that groping a female and untying her pyjama string constituted “attempt to rape” and set aside Allahabad HC’s controversial judgment terming the offence not Read More

Shia LaBeouf and Mia Goth SPLIT a year ago

Hollywood couple Shia LaBeouf and Mia Goth have reportedly pulled the plug on their marriage. Read More

Related Articles