Sunday, May 24, 2026
37.1 C
New Delhi

UK government postpones ruling on Chinese embassy over blacked-out plans until October

The UK government has postponed its decision on China’s proposal to build a new embassy in London until October, citing the need for more time to review concerns over blacked-out design plans. The project, already delayed for years, has faced opposition from residents, politicians, and campaigners.

The British government on Friday delayed the deadline for deciding whether to accept China’s plans to build Europe’s largest embassy in London until October after Beijing failed to explain why the designs included blacked-out regions.

China’s plans to construct a new embassy on the site of a two-century-old building near the Tower of London have been halted for three years due to resistance from local residents, MPs, and Hong Kong pro-democracy campaigners in Britain.

STORY CONTINUES BELOW THIS AD

Politicians in the United Kingdom and the United States have cautioned the government not to allow China to establish the embassy on the site, fearing it would be used as a spy base.

DP9, the planning consultancy working for the Chinese government, said its client felt it would be inappropriate to provide full internal layout plans, saying additional drawings provided an acceptable level of detail, after the government asked why several areas were blacked out in drawings.

“The Applicant considers the level of detail shown on the unredacted plans is sufficient to identify the main uses,” DP9 said in a letter to the government.

“In these circumstances, we consider it is neither necessary nor appropriate to provide additional more detailed internal layout plans or details.”

The British government’s department of housing said in reply it would now rule on whether the project can go ahead by October 21 rather than by September 9 because it needed more time to consider the responses.

Luke de Pulford, executive director of the Inter-Parliamentary Alliance on China, a group with ties to an international network of politicians critical of China which revealed the letter, said: “These explanations are far from satisfactory.”

De Pulford, a long-standing critic of plans for the embassy, said the “assurances amount to ’trust me bro’”.

STORY CONTINUES BELOW THIS AD

The Chinese embassy in London expressed “serious concern” over the government’s response.

The embassy said host countries have an “international obligation” to support the construction of diplomatic buildings.

“The Chinese side urges the UK side to fulfil its obligation and approve the planning application without delay,” the embassy said in a statement.

Earlier this month, the embassy said claims that the building could have “secret facilities” used to harm Britain’s national security were “despicable slandering”.

The Chinese government purchased Royal Mint Court in 2018 but its requests for planning permission to build the new embassy there were rejected by the local council in 2022. Chinese President Xi Jinping asked Prime Minister Keir Starmer last year to intervene.

Starmer’s central government took control of the planning decision last year.

End of Article

Go to Source

Hot this week

Delhi Gymkhana Club members & employees to move court to challenge government eviction order; GC seeks clarity on alternative plot

NEW DELHI: The stage is set for multiple legal battles as permanent members and employees of Delhi Gymkhana Club (DGC) gear up to challenge Centre’s order in Delhi High Court to hand over the club’s 27.3-acre prime land. Read More

EAM Jaishankar talks energy, raises visa issues with US counterpart Marco Rubio

NEW DELHI: India and the US focused on scaling up energy, defence and critical minerals cooperation, while seeking an early conclusion of the interim trade pact, as external affairs minister S Jaishankar and his US counterpart Marco Ru Read More

Girls Aloud star Nicola Roberts announces birth of baby girl

The Girls Aloud singer said in an Instagram post that becoming a mother was “heaven on earth”. Read More

Anita Kanwal on battling self-doubt, feeling ‘useless’ in industry

Veteran actress Anita Kanwal made an emotional revelation about battling self-doubt, feeling “useless” and struggling with the lack of meaningful work despite spending over four decades in the entertainment industry. Read More

India, Russia hold high-level Army talks to bolster military cooperation

NEW DELHi: Indian Army and Russian forces have held discussions to further deepen their military partnership at the 5th sub-working group (land) meeting. Read More

Topics

Delhi Gymkhana Club members & employees to move court to challenge government eviction order; GC seeks clarity on alternative plot

NEW DELHI: The stage is set for multiple legal battles as permanent members and employees of Delhi Gymkhana Club (DGC) gear up to challenge Centre’s order in Delhi High Court to hand over the club’s 27.3-acre prime land. Read More

EAM Jaishankar talks energy, raises visa issues with US counterpart Marco Rubio

NEW DELHI: India and the US focused on scaling up energy, defence and critical minerals cooperation, while seeking an early conclusion of the interim trade pact, as external affairs minister S Jaishankar and his US counterpart Marco Ru Read More

Girls Aloud star Nicola Roberts announces birth of baby girl

The Girls Aloud singer said in an Instagram post that becoming a mother was “heaven on earth”. Read More

Anita Kanwal on battling self-doubt, feeling ‘useless’ in industry

Veteran actress Anita Kanwal made an emotional revelation about battling self-doubt, feeling “useless” and struggling with the lack of meaningful work despite spending over four decades in the entertainment industry. Read More

India, Russia hold high-level Army talks to bolster military cooperation

NEW DELHi: Indian Army and Russian forces have held discussions to further deepen their military partnership at the 5th sub-working group (land) meeting. Read More

Trump’s emerging Iran deal sparks backlash from Republican hawks over nuclear, Hormuz concerns

Several Republican leaders and former Trump allies warned that any agreement allowing Iran to retain nuclear leverage or regional influence could undermine the objectives of the US-led military campaign. Read More

Trump tells US negotiators ‘not to rush’ into deal with Iran

The deal under discussion would involve a 60-day ceasefire extension during which the Strait of Hormuz would be reopened, according to US media. Read More

Large-scale Russian attack on Ukraine leaves four dead and dozens injured

The Oreshnik missile, which reportedly travels over 10 times the speed of sound, was used, Russia has confirmed. Read More

Related Articles