Saturday, May 23, 2026
39.1 C
New Delhi

‘Starvation as a weapon of war’: UNSC condemns ‘man-made famine in Gaza’, US differs

In a joint statement, the council has called for a permanent ceasefire; the release of all hostages held by Hamas and a significant increase in humanitarian aid across Gaza; and for Israel to lift all restrictions on aid delivery without delay or conditions

All members of the United Nations Security Council, except the US, have agreed that the famine in Gaza was a “manmade crisis” and warned that the use of starvation as a weapon of war is banned under international law.

Trishala Persaud, Guyana’s deputy permanent representative to the UN, said, “We express our profound alarm and distress at the IPC data on Gaza, published last Friday. This is the first time famine has been officially confirmed in the Middle East region. Every day, more persons are dying as a result of malnutrition. Many of them children.”

STORY CONTINUES BELOW THIS AD

In a joint statement, the 14 council members called for an immediate, unconditional, and permanent ceasefire; the release of all hostages held by Hamas and other groups; a significant increase in humanitarian aid across Gaza; and for Israel to lift all restrictions on aid delivery without delay or conditions.

US questions famine in Gaza

Last week, the UN declared in famine a famine in Gaza, with experts saying that 500,000 people are being affected by it.

The report has raised eyebrows in Israel and the US. US Ambassador to the UN Dorothy Shea questioned the integrity and credibility of the UN report, saying it “doesn’t pass the test on either.”

“We all recognise that hunger is a real issue in Gaza and that there are significant humanitarian needs which must be met. Addressing those needs is a priority for the United States,” she said.

Trump holds key meeting

President Donald Trump on Wednesday convened a  high-level policy meeting to discuss the ongoing Gaza war, joined by former British Prime Minister Tony Blair and former White House adviser Jared Kushner, according to a Reuters report, citing a senior US official.

The meeting, described by the official as “simply a policy session,” focused on key aspects of the Gaza conflict, including humanitarian aid deliveries, the hostage situation, and post-war reconstruction plans.

Trump was joined by top White House officials as well as Blair and Kushner, both of whom have long-standing experience with Middle East affairs.

End of Article

Go to Source

Hot this week

PM Modi says world is excited about India’s youth and technological progress at Rozgar Mela

Prime Minister Narendra Modi distributed more than 51,000 appointment letters during the 19th Rozgar Mela and said the world was eager to partner with India because of its youth and technological progress, highlighting global agreements aimed at crea Read More

King Charles surprises audience at Kenneth Branagh’s sold-out Shakespeare show in Stratford-upon-Avon

Theatre crowd erupts as King Charles makes surprise entrance at Shakespeare performance / Image credit: @TheRoyalFamily The audience expected a night of Shakespeare. Read More

‘I will kill you Jews’: Man who threatened to blow up Jewish schools jailed for 5 years in UK

Tavius Jean-Charles A London court on Friday sentenced a 36-year-old man to five years in prison after he admitted to a series of antisemitic hate crimes targeting members of the Jewish community in north London. Read More

China’s new lunar mission to conduct research in Moon’s south pole

The mission will employ a comprehensive exploration approach encompassing orbiting, landing, roving and hopping, Chinese official media quoted Zhang Jingbo, the agency’s spokesperson, as saying Go to Source Read More

Wanted Pakistani Terrorists Attend Pulwama Mastermind Hamza Burhan’s Funeral In Islamabad

Pulwama attack mastermind Hamza Burhan of Al-Badr was shot dead in PoK, his Islamabad funeral saw top terrorists and ISI linked officials, highlighting Pak terror nexus concerns. Read More

Topics

PM Modi says world is excited about India’s youth and technological progress at Rozgar Mela

Prime Minister Narendra Modi distributed more than 51,000 appointment letters during the 19th Rozgar Mela and said the world was eager to partner with India because of its youth and technological progress, highlighting global agreements aimed at crea Read More

King Charles surprises audience at Kenneth Branagh’s sold-out Shakespeare show in Stratford-upon-Avon

Theatre crowd erupts as King Charles makes surprise entrance at Shakespeare performance / Image credit: @TheRoyalFamily The audience expected a night of Shakespeare. Read More

‘I will kill you Jews’: Man who threatened to blow up Jewish schools jailed for 5 years in UK

Tavius Jean-Charles A London court on Friday sentenced a 36-year-old man to five years in prison after he admitted to a series of antisemitic hate crimes targeting members of the Jewish community in north London. Read More

China’s new lunar mission to conduct research in Moon’s south pole

The mission will employ a comprehensive exploration approach encompassing orbiting, landing, roving and hopping, Chinese official media quoted Zhang Jingbo, the agency’s spokesperson, as saying Go to Source Read More

Wanted Pakistani Terrorists Attend Pulwama Mastermind Hamza Burhan’s Funeral In Islamabad

Pulwama attack mastermind Hamza Burhan of Al-Badr was shot dead in PoK, his Islamabad funeral saw top terrorists and ISI linked officials, highlighting Pak terror nexus concerns. Read More

3 Refreshing Summer Mocktail Recipes To Beat The Heat At Home

Try these 3 refreshing summer mocktail recipes featuring mango, pineapple, cranberry, mint, and citrus flavours — perfect for house parties, brunches, and hot summer evenings. Read More

India Issues Ebola Health Advisory For Travellers: What To Know About The Bundibugyo Virus

As part of the advisory, airport health officials have been instructed to monitor passengers showing symptoms such as fever, severe headache, vomiting, diarrhoea, etc. Read More

‘No idea why I keep going viral’: BJP MP Ravi Kishan reacts to ‘home-from-work’ slip-up

Ravi Kishan (Image/PTI) NEW DELHI: Actor-turned-politician Ravi Kishan has clarified his recent slip of the tongue that went viral on social media, saying he never understands why his statements become internet sensations and insist Read More

Related Articles