Monday, May 18, 2026
33.1 C
New Delhi

Nasa hits pause: Space agency limits operations to bare bones amid US government shutdown

Nasa has halted several of its activities due to a US government shutdown and major budget cuts under the Trump administration

Nasa has announced that its activities are on hold because of a government funding lapse, with a notice on its website saying the agency is “closed” until further notice.

On Friday morning, the American space agency’s website displayed a message stating, “Due to the lapse in federal government funding, Nasa is not updating this website.” This occurred just as the 3I/Atlas spacecraft was passing by Mars, and the Reconnaissance Orbiter was set to capture the clearest images of the comet to uncover its true characteristics.

STORY CONTINUES BELOW THIS AD

This announcement follows the US government shutdown that began on October 1, 2025, after Congress did not approve a budget or temporary funding plan.

The shutdown, the first in almost six years, has led to thousands of federal employees being furloughed across various government agencies, including Nasa. Per official rules, only essential personnel needed to safeguard life and property are still working, causing most Nasa activities—from space science research to public outreach—to be put on hold.

The budget catastrophe

The Trump administration announced in May of this year a major reduction in the proposed Nasa budget for next year, slashing it from $24.8 billion to $18.8 billion.

These cuts are expected to severely impact science projects, with a 33% reduction in their budget and a 47% cut across all Nasa projects. Furthermore, nearly 32% of the agency’s workforce is slated to be laid off. Experts anticipate these deep cuts will significantly harm America’s space exploration efforts.

Earlier this week, a report released by the US Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation included a warning from whistleblowers that these budget reductions will also compromise safety at the space agency.

End of Article

Go to Source

Hot this week

Riot Games removes Arcane song “Remember Me” featuring D4vd amid first-degree murder case

Getty Images Riot Games has reportedly removed the Arcane soundtrack song “Remember Me” from some of its official music platforms following the criminal case involving D4vd. Read More

Trump says he called off new Iran attack at request of Gulf states

The US president says he is holding off on a US attack planned for Tuesday as “serious negotiations are now taking place”. Read More

Topics

Riot Games removes Arcane song “Remember Me” featuring D4vd amid first-degree murder case

Getty Images Riot Games has reportedly removed the Arcane soundtrack song “Remember Me” from some of its official music platforms following the criminal case involving D4vd. Read More

Trump says he called off new Iran attack at request of Gulf states

The US president says he is holding off on a US attack planned for Tuesday as “serious negotiations are now taking place”. Read More

Judicial panel submits report on judge Varma

. NEW DELHI: The three-member committee headed by SC judge Aravind Kumar, which was looking into allegations of corruption against Allahabad HC judge Yashwant Varma, submitted its report to LS Speaker Om Birla Monday. Read More

West Bengal Govt Grants ED Sanction To Prosecute Ex-RG Kar Principal Sandip Ghosh

West Bengal govt allows ED to prosecute former RG Kar principal Sandip Ghosh over alleged financial irregularities and money laundering linked to the Abhaya rape murder case. Read More

Trump holds off strikes on Iran planned for Tuesday at Arab leaders’ request

Washington, May 19 (PTI): US President Donald Trump has said he was holding up fresh strikes at Iran at the request of Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the UAE. Read More

Related Articles