Sunday, November 30, 2025
15.1 C
New Delhi

Trump’s sanctions on India’s Chabahar port project in Iran go into effect

In the latest salvo in his anti-India campaign, US President Donald Trump’s sanctions on India’s Chabahar port project in Iran have gone into effect. Sanctions may compromise India’s investments running into hundreds of millions of dollars and connectivity ambitions to Afghanistan and Central Asia.

In the latest salvo of his anti-India campaign, US President Donald Trump’s sanctions on India’s Chabahar port project in Iran went into effect on Monday.

Over the past decade, India has spent over approximately $500-600 million at Chabahar to improve connectivity to Afghanistan and Central Asia. But these efforts driven by geopolitical compulsions and trade connectivity requirements are now at risk from Trump’s sanctions.

As part of the so-called maximum pressure campaign against Iran, the Trump administration on September 16 said that sanctions waiver granted to India about the Chabahar port in 2018 —that was renewed by former President Joe Biden in 2021— stood revoked.

STORY CONTINUES BELOW THIS AD

Once the revocation of sanctions waiver would go into effect on Sept. 29, persons who operate the Chabahar port or engage in other activities described in Iran Freedom and Counter-Proliferation Act (IFCA) may expose themselves to sanctions, the Department of State said in a statement on Sept. 16.

ALSO READ: Are Trump’s Chabahar and Bagram moves about helping Pakistan?

Now that sanctions have gone into effect, Indian or foreign entities involved in the Chabahar project may struggle to find suppliers or financiers. Such a development may further worsen the India-US relationship that Trump has plunged to the lowest point in several years with his 50 per cent tariffs, undermining of India on Operation Sindoor and Kashmir, partnering with rival Pakistan and a host of jihadists in the extended neighbourhood, and spewing vitriol against India almost every other day.

Trump wants to starve Chabahar project of supplies, funds

Under the terms of US sanctions, Indian and foreign companies, including state-run India Ports Global Limited, will have 45 days to exit Chabahar or risk having any US-based assets frozen and US transactions barred, according to AFP.

Joshua Kretman of law firm Dentons told the news agency that any inclusion of an Indian firm on the sanctioned list “has the potential to create a kind of cascading effect where banks and other companies may not transact with the designated business”.

“If that sanctioned entity operates globally, needs access to major banks or dollar clearing, there is legitimate reason for concern,” said Kretman, who previously worked on sanctions at the Department of State.

ALSO READ — Tariff tirade to Cold War: Trump risks undoing 3 decades of India-US partnership

However, such sanctions may become a self-goal as they may risk push India further towards Russia and China and into the alternative banking and financing networks cultivated by the China-Russia bloc.

STORY CONTINUES BELOW THIS AD

Even though India previously abided by US sanctions on Iranian oil, India could now use Iran ties as “leverage in its dealings with the US, Gulf states and Israel”, according to Kadira Pethiyagoda, a geopolitical strategist.

“India may choose to wear the sanctions as part of a broader effort amongst non-Western Great Powers, including China and Russia, to reduce reliance on the US economy and decouple from Western-controlled financial networks,” Pethiyagoda told AFP.

On its part, the External Affairs Ministry told the news agency, “We are presently examining the implications that this revocation has for India.”

End of Article

Go to Source

Hot this week

Indonesia, Thailand Flood Death Toll Rises To Over 600, Hundreds Remain Missing

Over 600 dead in Indonesia and Thailand floods and landslides. Sumatra and Hat Yai hit hard, with homes, hospitals, and schools damaged. Relief efforts face criticism. Read More

Indonesia searches for hundreds missing in deadly floods

23 minutes ago ShareSave Astudestra Ajengrastri,Jakartaand Patrick Jackson ShareSave Reuters Rescuers in Indonesia are searching for at least 400 people who have been reported missing, many believed to be buried under landslides, after Read More

Cyclone Ditwah: Toll climbs to 334 in Sri Lanka; EAM updates on India’s relief response

India sends approx 10 tons of disaster response supplies (@DrSJaishankar) NEW DELHI: The Death toll caused by Cyclone Ditwah in Sri Lanka is now confirmed at at least 334, the Disaster Management Centre (DMC) reported on Sunday. Read More

Govt orders mandatory sim-linked login for WhatsApp, Telegram, Signal; Desktop sessions to be auto-logout every 6 hours

NEW DELHI: In just under three months, you will not be able to maintain your desktop/computer login on communication apps such as WhatsApp, Telegram, Signal and Snapchat for more than six hours at a stretch. Read More

Techie Arrested For Harassing Attendant On Dubai–Hyderabad Flight, Leaves ‘Obscene’ Note For Crew

A man was arrested for allegedly harassing a female Air India flight attendant on a Dubai-Hyderabad flight. He left obscene notes and was remanded to judicial custody. Read More

Topics

Indonesia, Thailand Flood Death Toll Rises To Over 600, Hundreds Remain Missing

Over 600 dead in Indonesia and Thailand floods and landslides. Sumatra and Hat Yai hit hard, with homes, hospitals, and schools damaged. Relief efforts face criticism. Read More

Indonesia searches for hundreds missing in deadly floods

23 minutes ago ShareSave Astudestra Ajengrastri,Jakartaand Patrick Jackson ShareSave Reuters Rescuers in Indonesia are searching for at least 400 people who have been reported missing, many believed to be buried under landslides, after Read More

Cyclone Ditwah: Toll climbs to 334 in Sri Lanka; EAM updates on India’s relief response

India sends approx 10 tons of disaster response supplies (@DrSJaishankar) NEW DELHI: The Death toll caused by Cyclone Ditwah in Sri Lanka is now confirmed at at least 334, the Disaster Management Centre (DMC) reported on Sunday. Read More

Govt orders mandatory sim-linked login for WhatsApp, Telegram, Signal; Desktop sessions to be auto-logout every 6 hours

NEW DELHI: In just under three months, you will not be able to maintain your desktop/computer login on communication apps such as WhatsApp, Telegram, Signal and Snapchat for more than six hours at a stretch. Read More

Techie Arrested For Harassing Attendant On Dubai–Hyderabad Flight, Leaves ‘Obscene’ Note For Crew

A man was arrested for allegedly harassing a female Air India flight attendant on a Dubai-Hyderabad flight. He left obscene notes and was remanded to judicial custody. Read More

Juhi refused retake of kissing scene with Sunny in Lootere

Juhi Chawla’s pairing with Aamir Khan in Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak remains iconic, but the early 1990s also saw her share major hits with her Darr co-stars Shah Rukh Khan and Sunny Deol. Read More

Pope Leo XIV urges renewed push for Israel–Palestine two-state solution, calls it the ‘only path to justice’

Pope Leo XIV arrived in Lebanon on Sunday with a message of peace for the crisis-hit nation, still reeling from a war between Israel and Hezbollah and the conflict’s lingering aftereffects. Read More

News18 Evening Digest: FIR Vs SIR In Winter Session, Pakistani National Among Others Rescued By IAF In Sri Lanka & Other Stories

We are also covering: India Vs South Africa Live Score, 1st ODI and Shahid Kapoor Reveals First Question He Asked Abhishek Chaubey After Being Offered Udta Punjab. Read More

Related Articles