Wednesday, May 20, 2026
40.1 C
New Delhi

‘Firm got 5,189 H-1Bs, fired 16,000 Americans’: White House factsheet defends Trump’s H-1B visa crackdown

The White House has defended President Donald Trump’s decision to impose a USD 100,000 (over ₹88 lakh) fee on new H-1B visa applications, saying the move was aimed at protecting American jobs from being taken by “lower-paid foreign labour.”

The White House on Saturday released a factsheet defending President Donald Trump’s decision to impose a USD 100,000 (over ₹88 lakh) fee on new H-1B applications, arguing that American workers were losing jobs to “lower-paid foreign labour.”

Rising share of H-1B workers in IT

According to the White House, the share of IT workers on H-1B visas jumped from 32 per cent in 2003 to more than 65 per cent in recent years. It also cited rising joblessness among US graduates:
“Unemployment among recent computer science graduates has reached 6.1 per cent and 7.5 per cent for computer engineering graduates – more than double the rates for biology or art history majors. The number of foreign STEM workers in the US has more than doubled between 2000 and 2019, while overall STEM employment only increased 44.5 per cent during that time.”

Companies cited for layoffs

The factsheet pointed to examples of companies hiring H-1B workers while cutting American jobs. One firm approved 5,189 H-1B workers in FY 2025 while laying off 16,000 US employees. Another got approval for 1,698 H-1B workers but announced 2,400 layoffs in Oregon. A third company reduced its US workforce by 27,000 since 2022 while receiving 25,075 H-1B approvals, and another cut 1,000 jobs in February despite securing 1,137 approvals.

Trump’s push to protect US workers

The White House said the steep fee was meant to protect American jobs, “Voters gave President Trump a resounding mandate to put American workers first, and he has worked every day to deliver on that commitment. President Trump has aggressively and successfully negotiated new trade deals to bring manufacturing jobs back home and attract new investments to the US.”

It added, “Since President Trump returned to office, all employment gains have gone to American-born workers, unlike last year during the same period under President (Joe) Biden, when all employment gains went to foreign-born workers.”

STORY CONTINUES BELOW THIS AD

USCIS data shows Indians made up 72 per cent of the nearly 4 lakh H-1B visas issued between October 2022 and September 2023.

The announcement triggered panic among Indians on H-1B visas, with some cancelling travel plans at the last minute and others stuck in India rushing to return. Immigration lawyers warned H-1B holders abroad to get back to the US before the order took effect on Sunday.

Fee applies only to new petitions

The administration later clarified that the USD 100,000 fee applies only to new applications. “The new H-1B visa requirement applies only to new and prospective petitions that have not yet been filed,” the White House said. Petitions submitted before September 21 are not affected, and existing visa holders outside the US do not need to pay the fee to re-enter.

End of Article

Go to Source

Hot this week

Failed 3 H1-B attempts: Indian working in US says ‘visa anxiety is a permanent subscription’

A 29-year-old Indian professional working in US has described the stress of repeated H-1B lottery failures as a “permanent subscription”, in a viral Reddit post cited by the American Bazaar. Read More

The 48-Hour Ultimatum: Inside The ‘Take It Or Leave It’ US Peace Deal Delivered To Iran | Exclusive

This critical intervention comes at a decisive stage of the United States-Iran peace talks, with Pakistan acting as the primary courier Go to Source Read More

China Bans Nvidia Gaming Chip Hours After Trump’s Visit With Tech CEOs, Including Jensen Huang

The RTX 5090D V2 is a modified version of Nvidia’s top-end RTX 5090, designed to comply with US export restrictions by reducing memory and bandwidth. Read More

‘Big Things Ahead In India-US Collaboration On Nuclear Energy’: US Envoy

Marco Rubio is scheduled to visit India from May 23 to 26 in his first official trip to the country since assuming office. Read More

No Ebola cases reported in India yet; government ramps up surveillance after WHO alert

AP file photo The government on Wednesday said that no cases of Ebola have been reported in the country so far, according to sources cited by ANI. Read More

Topics

Failed 3 H1-B attempts: Indian working in US says ‘visa anxiety is a permanent subscription’

A 29-year-old Indian professional working in US has described the stress of repeated H-1B lottery failures as a “permanent subscription”, in a viral Reddit post cited by the American Bazaar. Read More

The 48-Hour Ultimatum: Inside The ‘Take It Or Leave It’ US Peace Deal Delivered To Iran | Exclusive

This critical intervention comes at a decisive stage of the United States-Iran peace talks, with Pakistan acting as the primary courier Go to Source Read More

China Bans Nvidia Gaming Chip Hours After Trump’s Visit With Tech CEOs, Including Jensen Huang

The RTX 5090D V2 is a modified version of Nvidia’s top-end RTX 5090, designed to comply with US export restrictions by reducing memory and bandwidth. Read More

‘Big Things Ahead In India-US Collaboration On Nuclear Energy’: US Envoy

Marco Rubio is scheduled to visit India from May 23 to 26 in his first official trip to the country since assuming office. Read More

No Ebola cases reported in India yet; government ramps up surveillance after WHO alert

AP file photo The government on Wednesday said that no cases of Ebola have been reported in the country so far, according to sources cited by ANI. Read More

Iran: Internet Access Becoming A Costly Privilege Reserved For Few

Show Quick Read Key points generated by AI, verified by newsroom The measure aims to aid economic activity amid prolonged shutdowns. Read More

PM Modi To Chair NDA Govt’s Midterm Review Meet On May 21, Ministries To Present Report Cards

Show Quick Read Key points generated by AI, verified by newsroom PM Modi to chair Council of Ministers meeting on May 21. Meeting will review ministry performance based on four parameters. Read More

Trump jokes he could run for Israel PM, claims ‘99 per cent support’ in country

The political crisis in Israel deepened after an ultra-Orthodox ally abandoned Netanyahu’s coalition over military conscription exemptions, backing moves that could force Israel into snap elections as early as September. Read More

Related Articles