Sunday, February 22, 2026
27.1 C
New Delhi

Netanyahu notified Trump 50 minutes before Israeli strike on Hamas in Doha, he ‘didn’t say no’: Report

Israeli officials say Netanyahu informed Trump about the strike on Hamas leaders in Doha nearly an hour before it happened, but US officials deny prior knowledge, highlighting tensions between Washington and Tel Aviv

Israel Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu informed US President Donald Trump around 50 minutes before an Israeli strike on Hamas leaders in Doha, according to an Axios report, citing three Israeli officials with direct knowledge of the matter.

According to the report, as many as seven Israeli officials said that the White House was aware of the planned attack prior to the missile launch.

However, US officials maintain that Washington was only updated after the missiles were fired.

STORY CONTINUES BELOW THIS AD

The Israeli advance notice reportedly gave Trump enough time to potentially call off the strike, the three officials told Axios.

On Tuesday evening, President Trump, however, denied being notified in advance about Israel’s missile strike, despite reports from Israeli officials stating otherwise.

“As President Trump stated, the US Military informed him of Israel’s attack on Hamas leaders in Doha, and he immediately directed his Special Envoy Steve Witkoff to inform Qatar,” White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt told Axios.

According to the report, citing US officials, the military spotted Israeli jets in the air and sought clarification from Israel only after ballistic missiles were already in flight toward the Hamas compound. Although Special Envoy Witkoff quickly warned Qatari officials, the missiles had already struck by then, added the report.

The attack on Qatar — a key US ally — drew Trump’s public disapproval, raising questions about coordination between Washington and Tel Aviv. Bombing a US partner without prior consultation would mark a bold move by Israel, especially as Hamas leaders were reportedly meeting to discuss Trump’s recent Gaza peace plan.

However, three Israeli officials told Axios Netanyahu had called Trump around 8 am Washington time, roughly 50 minutes before the first explosions were reported at 8:51 am.

“Trump knew about the strike before the missiles were launched. First there was a discussion on the political level between Netanyahu and Trump, and afterwards through military channels. Trump didn’t say no,” a senior Israeli official was quoted as saying.

Another Israeli official said Washington was “well in advance” informed politically and “if Trump had wanted to stop it, he could have. In practice, he didn’t.”

STORY CONTINUES BELOW THIS AD

Both officials claimed Israel would have called off the strike if Trump had objected.

Details of the Trump-Netanyahu call remain unclear, including whether Netanyahu sought explicit permission or merely informed Trump of the planned attack.

Some US officials reportedly expressed anger at Netanyahu following the strike.

Netanyahu has repeatedly stated the operation was a unilateral Israeli action, including during a Monday press conference alongside Senator Marco Rubio, who is scheduled to meet Qatari officials in Doha.

A third Israeli official admitted that Israel cooperated with the White House in publicly denying prior notification “for the sake of the US-Israel relationship,” with another official asserting, “The Americans are putting on a show. We updated them about the attack.”

Additional Israeli sources suggested the Trump administration had political reasons to distance itself from the strike, and that this was not the first instance of the US making misleading public statements about conversations with Israel.

A US official dismissed the Israeli claims as “false accusations,” urging the anonymous sources to “smarten up.”

STORY CONTINUES BELOW THIS AD

The strike has strained US-Qatar relations, heightened tensions between Washington and Tel Aviv, and further isolated Israel on the regional and global stage.

The attack killed five Hamas members and one Qatari security officer. Hamas claimed its top leaders survived, a fact Israeli officials confirmed to Axios, noting intelligence showed senior leaders had left the targeted building shortly before the explosions.

With inputs from agencies

End of Article

Go to Source

Hot this week

2,000 years ago, people in Vietnam used iron to permanently blacken their teeth

2,000 years ago, people in Vietnam used iron to permanently blacken their teeth (Image Source – Springer Nature) Archaeologists working in northern Vietnam have found chemical evidence that people were permanently blackening th Read More

‘Gandi aur nangi rajneeti’: PM Modi blasts Congress after youth wing’s ‘shirtless’ protest at AI Summit

PM Modi NEW DELHI: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Sunday joined the chorus of criticism against the Congress party over its “shirtless” protest at the AI Impact Summit held in New Delhi, accusing the grand old party of turning a Read More

How Vipul forced Arshad to raise his fees post Munna Bhai MBBS

Arshad Warsi’s Circuit in Rajkumar Hirani’s ‘Munna Bhai MBBS’ outshone Sanjay Dutt, boosting his career from low pay. Post-hit, Vipul Shah urged Rs 1 Cr fees. He feared it was his last role but improvised freely. Read More

UK Police Seek Information From Andrew’s Protection Officers Amid Epstein Files Probe

Andrew Mountbatten-Windor, the former prince, was arrested on his 66th birthday over ties with dead sex offender Jeffrey Epstein. Read More

Most Americans Unhappy With Trump’s Handling Of Key Issues Including Tariff And Immigration: Poll

The poll raised questions about Trump’s fitness for office. Over half said he lacks the mental sharpness needed to be president. Read More

Topics

2,000 years ago, people in Vietnam used iron to permanently blacken their teeth

2,000 years ago, people in Vietnam used iron to permanently blacken their teeth (Image Source – Springer Nature) Archaeologists working in northern Vietnam have found chemical evidence that people were permanently blackening th Read More

‘Gandi aur nangi rajneeti’: PM Modi blasts Congress after youth wing’s ‘shirtless’ protest at AI Summit

PM Modi NEW DELHI: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Sunday joined the chorus of criticism against the Congress party over its “shirtless” protest at the AI Impact Summit held in New Delhi, accusing the grand old party of turning a Read More

How Vipul forced Arshad to raise his fees post Munna Bhai MBBS

Arshad Warsi’s Circuit in Rajkumar Hirani’s ‘Munna Bhai MBBS’ outshone Sanjay Dutt, boosting his career from low pay. Post-hit, Vipul Shah urged Rs 1 Cr fees. He feared it was his last role but improvised freely. Read More

UK Police Seek Information From Andrew’s Protection Officers Amid Epstein Files Probe

Andrew Mountbatten-Windor, the former prince, was arrested on his 66th birthday over ties with dead sex offender Jeffrey Epstein. Read More

Most Americans Unhappy With Trump’s Handling Of Key Issues Including Tariff And Immigration: Poll

The poll raised questions about Trump’s fitness for office. Over half said he lacks the mental sharpness needed to be president. Read More

‘Appropriate Instruments At Its Disposal’: France Says EU Has Tools To Retaliate Against US Tariffs

The ACI allows a wide range of actions, from export controls to tariffs on services, as well as excluding U.S. companies from EU procurement contracts. Read More

‘Terrorist Attack’: Cop Killed, Dozens Injured As Deadly Explosions Rock Western Ukraine

Explosions in Lviv killed one and injured dozens. Authorities have labelled it a “terrorist attack”. Read More

‘Abki baar Trump se haar’: Congress targets Centre over Trump tariffs; slams India-US trade deal

Jairam Ramesh, left, and PM Modi NEW DELHI: Congress general secretary in-charge communications Jairam Ramesh on Sunday stepped up his attack on the Centre over the proposed India-US interim trade agreement, saying it was reflective of “ Read More

Related Articles