Tuesday, February 17, 2026
19.1 C
New Delhi

‘I am insufficiently able to…’: Dutch foreign minister resigns over cabinet deadlock on Israel sanctions

Dutch Foreign Minister Caspar Veldkamp resigned on Friday following an unresolved cabinet debate on whether to impose sanctions on Israel, Dutch news agency ANP reported.

Dutch Foreign Minister Caspar Veldkamp on Friday resigned following an unresolved cabinet debate on whether to impose sanctions on Israel, Dutch news agency ANP reported.

In a statement to ANP after the meeting, Veldkamp said the lack of consensus within the government had left him unable to take meaningful action.

“I see that I am insufficiently able to take meaningful additional measures to increase pressure on Israel,” he said.

The cabinet had reportedly been divided over the next steps in response to Israel’s ongoing military operations, with growing domestic and international calls for accountability.

STORY CONTINUES BELOW THIS AD

Veldkamp had been pushing for stronger measures, including potential sanctions, but failed to gain the backing of his colleagues.

His resignation adds further strain to Prime Minister Mark Rutte’s coalition government, which has faced internal rifts over its Middle East policy.

Last month, Veldkamp declared far-right Israeli ministers Itamar Ben-Gvir and Bezalel Smotrich persona non grata in the Netherlands.

On Thursday, Veldkamp signaled his intention to push for further action against Israel, but later conceded he lacked the confidence to implement meaningful measures in the coming weeks or months.

While the proposals he put forward were “seriously discussed,” they faced resistance within successive cabinet meetings.

“I feel constrained in setting the course I consider necessary as foreign minister,” he said, citing the lack of internal consensus as a key reason for his resignation.

The Netherlands was also one of 21 countries that signed a joint statement on Thursday condemning Israel’s recent approval of a major West Bank settlement project, calling it “unacceptable and contrary to international law.”

With inputs from agencies

End of Article

Go to Source

Hot this week

Dallas becoming ‘Dallaspuram’: Indian festival video from Texas resurfaces amid H-1B visa row, MAGA responds

A viral social media post claiming Dallas is being turned into “Dallaspuram” has stirred a row over immigration and H1B visas after old festival footage resurfaced online. Read More

Did Kai Cenat unfollow Ray on Instagram? Social media move sparks fan speculation online

Kai Cenat (Image Via Getty) Rumors about Kai Cenat and Ray started spreading fast after social media posts claimed the popular streamer had unfollowed his friend and removed him from the Clover Boyz group. Read More

Amid Nuclear Talks, Iran Signals Openness To Verification As US Military Build-Up Heightens Tensions

Tehran’s verification signal comes as negotiators agree on guiding principles while Washington increases military pressure in the region. Read More

Top Trump aide Tricia McLaughlin to leave DHS — Has Trump’s immigration crackdown gone too far?

One of the most outspoken faces of Donald Trump’s immigration crackdown is stepping down, raising questions about internal rift in the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). Read More

NGT nod thwarted Gandhis’ bid to stall Nicobar plan: BJP

Great Nicobar project NEW DELHI: BJP on Tuesday sharply criticised Sonia Gandhi and Rahul Gandhi over their opposition to the Great Nicobar island infrastructure project, accusing them of going to great lengths to derail it. Read More

Topics

Dallas becoming ‘Dallaspuram’: Indian festival video from Texas resurfaces amid H-1B visa row, MAGA responds

A viral social media post claiming Dallas is being turned into “Dallaspuram” has stirred a row over immigration and H1B visas after old festival footage resurfaced online. Read More

Did Kai Cenat unfollow Ray on Instagram? Social media move sparks fan speculation online

Kai Cenat (Image Via Getty) Rumors about Kai Cenat and Ray started spreading fast after social media posts claimed the popular streamer had unfollowed his friend and removed him from the Clover Boyz group. Read More

Amid Nuclear Talks, Iran Signals Openness To Verification As US Military Build-Up Heightens Tensions

Tehran’s verification signal comes as negotiators agree on guiding principles while Washington increases military pressure in the region. Read More

Top Trump aide Tricia McLaughlin to leave DHS — Has Trump’s immigration crackdown gone too far?

One of the most outspoken faces of Donald Trump’s immigration crackdown is stepping down, raising questions about internal rift in the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). Read More

NGT nod thwarted Gandhis’ bid to stall Nicobar plan: BJP

Great Nicobar project NEW DELHI: BJP on Tuesday sharply criticised Sonia Gandhi and Rahul Gandhi over their opposition to the Great Nicobar island infrastructure project, accusing them of going to great lengths to derail it. Read More

Maharashtra ATS busts soccer club front for radicalisation

Maharashtra ATS NAGPUR: Maharashtra Anti-Terrorist Squad (ATS) Sunday raided 21 locations across multiple districts and busted an alleged radicalisation network operating under the garb of a soccer club. Read More

Macron extends invite to Modi to attend G7 summit

French President Emmanuel Macron is in Mumbai for talks with Prime Minister Narendra Modi. Defence, artificial intelligence, and critical minerals are key topics. Read More

‘Raise India-made component’ in Rafale deal: Rajnath to France

Bengaluru: Defence minister Rajnath Singh with French counterpart Catherine Vautrin during the 6th India-France Annual Defence Dialogue, in Bengaluru. Read More

Related Articles