Sunday, May 24, 2026
30.1 C
New Delhi

No Sanchar Saathi On iPhones? Apple Pushes Back Against Mandatory App Preload Rule: What We Know So Far

Sanchar Saathi:Apple is resisting the Indian government’s recent directive that requires smartphone makers to pre-install Sanchar Saathi, a government-backed cybersecurity and anti-fraud app, on all newly sold mobile devices. As reported by Reuters, multiple industry sources say the tech giant is instead preparing to engage with policymakers to explore a compromise rather than fully comply immediately.

Government Order Sparks Industry Tension

The Department of Telecommunications (DoT) recently ordered every smartphone brand to ensure Sanchar Saathi appears on devices from the moment they are switched on. The app cannot be hidden, disabled or restricted, and must be part of the onboarding process for first-time setup. Manufacturers have been given 120 days to meet compliance requirements.

ALSO READ: We Combed Through Govt’s Mandatory ‘Sanchar Saathi’ App. Here’s Which Permissions It WILL Ask You

The government has framed the move as a consumer safety step, intended to curb fake or tampered devices. However, industry players say the directive arrived without consultation, feedback channels or technical discussions.

Sources told CNBC-TV18 that companies plan to raise their concerns with the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology, especially since mobile hardware falls within its jurisdiction. Executives also fear that different builds for domestic and export devices could disrupt supply chains and logistics for global brands operating in India.

Apple Flags Privacy And Policy Precedent Issues

According to reports, Apple believes the mandate raises privacy and security questions and says it will take the matter up with the government. The company has pointed out that it does not pre-install third-party or government apps on its devices anywhere in the world.

Apple has previously complied with similar policy requirements, but through alternate approaches. In Russia in 2021, instead of bundling software into the operating system, users were shown a prompt suggesting installation of pre-approved apps during setup.

ALSO READ: ‘Dystopian Tool To Monitor Every Indian’: Oppn Slams Centre’s Sanchar Saathi App Order

Civil Society Flags Surveillance Concerns

Digital rights groups have also entered the debate. In a detailed response, the Internet Freedom Foundation (IFF) described the DoT mandate as “a sharp and deeply worrying expansion of executive control over personal digital devices.” While acknowledging the intent behind tackling IMEI fraud, IFF argued the strategy is “disproportionate, legally fragile, and structurally hostile to user privacy and autonomy.”

The organisation warned that Clause 7(b), which prevents disabling or removal of the app, essentially converts every smartphone into “a vessel for state-mandated software that the user cannot meaningfully refuse, control, or remove.”

IFF also cautioned that a non-removable app could open the door to intrusive surveillance, calling the directive a step toward mandatory client-side scanning. The group pointed to the Supreme Court’s Puttaswamy privacy judgment and said the mandate does not satisfy proportionality standards, especially when tools like the Sanchar Saathi portal, SMS verification and USSD checks already exist.

IFF confirmed it has filed an RTI seeking the full text of the order and its justification and will continue to oppose the mandate until it is reversed.

What Happens Next

With manufacturers uneasy, civil liberties groups objecting, and the government defending the measure as necessary, discussions are expected to intensify in the coming weeks. For now, the industry appears to be pressing for clarity, while Apple is signalling that compliance will not be straightforward without further dialogue.

Go to Source

Hot this week

Iran shifts World Cup training base from USA to Mexico; Iranian FA chief reveals reason: ‘Distance between us and…’

Iran ​has faced ⁠uncertainty for months over travel and security arrangements for the World Cup, which will be co-hosted by ​the United States, Canada and Mexico. Read More

Aaj Ka Panchang, May 24, 2026: Tithi, Vrat, Muhurat And Rahu Kaal Today

Aaj Ka Panchang, May 24, 2026: Get accurate details on today’s Hindu calendar including tithi, vrat, nakshatra, yoga, sunrise/sunset timings, and shubh and ashubh muhurat. Read More

‘Drishyam 3’ races past Rs 100 crore worldwide

FB Mohanlal’s latest thriller ‘Drishyam 3’ has achieved a major box office milestone within its opening weekend. The Malayalam film crossed the Rs 100 crore mark worldwide in just three days. Read More

Crime thrillers on Netflix to add to your watch list

This series is about the case of JonBenét, the 6-year-old who had disappeared from her home a day after Christmas in 1996. Later on, her father, Jon, found her murdered body in the basement of their own home. Read More

‘He got arrogant’: Magnus Carlsen slammed for stepping away from World Championship cycle

Former world champion has criticised Magnus Carlsen for stepping away from the World Chess Championship cycle, calling it arrogance and saying the Norwegian star made a mistake after dominating classical chess for years. Read More

Topics

Iran shifts World Cup training base from USA to Mexico; Iranian FA chief reveals reason: ‘Distance between us and…’

Iran ​has faced ⁠uncertainty for months over travel and security arrangements for the World Cup, which will be co-hosted by ​the United States, Canada and Mexico. Read More

Aaj Ka Panchang, May 24, 2026: Tithi, Vrat, Muhurat And Rahu Kaal Today

Aaj Ka Panchang, May 24, 2026: Get accurate details on today’s Hindu calendar including tithi, vrat, nakshatra, yoga, sunrise/sunset timings, and shubh and ashubh muhurat. Read More

‘Drishyam 3’ races past Rs 100 crore worldwide

FB Mohanlal’s latest thriller ‘Drishyam 3’ has achieved a major box office milestone within its opening weekend. The Malayalam film crossed the Rs 100 crore mark worldwide in just three days. Read More

Crime thrillers on Netflix to add to your watch list

This series is about the case of JonBenét, the 6-year-old who had disappeared from her home a day after Christmas in 1996. Later on, her father, Jon, found her murdered body in the basement of their own home. Read More

‘He got arrogant’: Magnus Carlsen slammed for stepping away from World Championship cycle

Former world champion has criticised Magnus Carlsen for stepping away from the World Chess Championship cycle, calling it arrogance and saying the Norwegian star made a mistake after dominating classical chess for years. Read More

White House gunfire scare: Footage shows journalists running for shelter

Tension gripped the White House complex on Sunday after series of gunfire were heard near the presidential compound, forcing journalists to rush into secure shelter areas while heavily armed law enforcement personnel sealed off parts Read More

SpaceX’s Starship flight hits most targets in pre-IPO test

STARBASE: SpaceX completed a largely successful test flight of its next-generation Starship rocket on Friday, deploying a clutch of mock satellites and executing a controlled splashdown in the Indian Ocean in a high-stakes debut of th Read More

Two people shot in Secret Service gun encounter near the White House, suspect taken to hospital

Two people were shot during an encounter with Secret Service near the White House on Saturday, sparking concerns about the safety of US President Donald Trump. Read More

Related Articles