Monday, May 18, 2026
37.1 C
New Delhi

Hidden Attacks In Plain Sight: How AI Browsers Are Falling For Invisible Prompts (& How Gemini Plans To Stay Safe)

Show Quick Read

Key points generated by AI, verified by newsroom

A new cybersecurity study by Brave, a privacy-focused browser company, has uncovered troubling vulnerabilities in emerging AI-powered browsers like Perplexity’s Comet and Fellou. The research, led by Artem Chaikin, Senior Mobile Security Engineer, and Shivan Kaul Sahib, VP of Privacy and Security at Brave, reveals how prompt injections, or malicious hidden instructions, can manipulate AI assistants through screenshots or webpage navigation.

In Perplexity’s Comet assistant, users can take website screenshots and ask questions about them. But Brave’s team found that attackers can exploit this feature by embedding nearly invisible text into those images, for example, faint blue text on a yellow background.

While human users can’t see it, the AI’s text recognition system reads it as a command, not as harmless content. These hidden prompts then instruct the AI to act maliciously, potentially using browser tools in unsafe ways.

When Browsing Becomes a Backdoor

The Fellou browser also showed a different, yet equally concerning flaw. Brave’s report noted that even though Fellou resisted hidden text attacks, it still treated visible webpage content as trusted input.

In simple terms, if a user asked the AI to “open a website,” the browser would automatically feed the entire webpage text into the AI model.

Attackers can exploit this behaviour by placing visible malicious instructions on their site. Once opened, those commands can override the user’s intent, tricking the AI into performing unwanted actions such as navigating to harmful pages or accessing sensitive data.

Both vulnerabilities were responsibly disclosed to the companies earlier this year, with Perplexity notified on October 1, and Fellou on August 20. Public disclosures followed in late October.

A Warning for AI Browser Builders

Brave’s researchers warn that traditional web security principles no longer hold when AI agents act independently on behalf of users. “Agentic browser assistants can be prompt-injected by untrusted webpage content,” the researchers said, pointing out that such attacks bypass same-origin policies, the cornerstone of web safety, because the AI operates with user-level permissions.

The report concludes that “agentic browsing will remain inherently dangerous” unless browsers clearly separate user-driven actions from automated AI operations. Until that happens, Brave recommends isolating AI browsing modes and restricting sensitive actions unless users explicitly approve them.

Google’s Strategy: Building a Wall Around Gemini

While smaller browsers scramble to patch these flaws, Google says its Gemini AI has been designed with multiple layers of protection against such prompt injection attacks. The company describes its approach as comprehensive, layered security, spanning everything from prompt classifiers to user confirmation frameworks.

At the front line are Prompt Injection Content Classifiers, which automatically detect and block suspicious inputs. Then comes Security Thought Reinforcement, where Gemini is trained to “ignore adversarial instructions” and stay focused on the user’s intent.

Google also uses markdown sanitisation to strip hidden malicious code, Safe Browsing to flag dangerous links, and a user confirmation step for risky actions such as deleting data or sending messages.

“Since the initial deployment of our enhanced indirect prompt injection defences, our layered protections have consistently mitigated attacks and adapted to new patterns,” Google said in its statement.

In short, while AI browsers experiment with convenience, Google is doubling down on trust and control, an approach that may soon define the future of secure AI-driven browsing.

Go to Source

Hot this week

YouTuber Markiplier reveals when fans can watch Iron Lung at home after box office success

Getty Images YouTuber Markiplier has finally shared when fans will be able to watch his horror movie Iron Lung at home after its successful run in theaters. Read More

’20 students got visas denied in front of me’: Indian man reveals the ‘most dreaded’ question officer asks during interview

Ahmedabad’s Hari Krishna Trivedi reveals F-1 visa interview details at Mumbai consulate. Read More

Salman says mom got worried after his ‘alone and lonely’ post

Salman Khan recently left fans worried after sharing a cryptic note on loneliness on social media. The superstar’s post quickly went viral, with many netizens speculating if something was bothering him personally. Read More

Woman falls off terrace at in-laws’ house in Greater Noida; family alleges dowry harassment

Noida, May 18 (PTI): A 24-year-old woman died allegedly after falling from the terrace of her three-storey matrimonial house in Uttar Pradesh’s Gautam Buddh Nagar district amid harassment by her in-laws over dowry, police here said on Monday. Read More

Cash recovery row: Inquiry committee submits report on Justice Yashwant Varma to LS speaker

New Delhi, May 18 (PTI): The Judges Inquiry Committee investigating allegations against Justice Yashwant Varma — against whom impeachment proceedings were initiated over the alleged discovery of unaccounted cash from his official residence  Read More

Topics

YouTuber Markiplier reveals when fans can watch Iron Lung at home after box office success

Getty Images YouTuber Markiplier has finally shared when fans will be able to watch his horror movie Iron Lung at home after its successful run in theaters. Read More

Salman says mom got worried after his ‘alone and lonely’ post

Salman Khan recently left fans worried after sharing a cryptic note on loneliness on social media. The superstar’s post quickly went viral, with many netizens speculating if something was bothering him personally. Read More

Woman falls off terrace at in-laws’ house in Greater Noida; family alleges dowry harassment

Noida, May 18 (PTI): A 24-year-old woman died allegedly after falling from the terrace of her three-storey matrimonial house in Uttar Pradesh’s Gautam Buddh Nagar district amid harassment by her in-laws over dowry, police here said on Monday. Read More

Cash recovery row: Inquiry committee submits report on Justice Yashwant Varma to LS speaker

New Delhi, May 18 (PTI): The Judges Inquiry Committee investigating allegations against Justice Yashwant Varma — against whom impeachment proceedings were initiated over the alleged discovery of unaccounted cash from his official residence  Read More

GM Aravindh Chithambaram becomes first Indian chess player to qualify for 2026 Esports World Cup

Indian Grandmaster Aravindh Chitambaram, representing Mumbai-based esports organisation S8UL, secured his place at the Esports World Cup by winning the DreamHack Atlanta. Read More

Vinesh Phogat denied last-minute reprieve for Asian Games Trials by High Court: ‘How can we grant relief’

The Delhi High Court on Monday denied immediate relief to Vinesh Phogat, who sought permission to compete in the Asian Games selection trials later this month. Read More

Deepika Kumari, Atanu Das left out as India’s Asian Games archery squad undergoes major overhaul

Deepika Kumari and Atanu Das have been left out of India’s squads for the upcoming Asian Games as well as World Cup Stages 3 and 4 after failing to make the cut at the selection trials. Read More

Related Articles