Sunday, May 24, 2026
37.1 C
New Delhi

US seizes Iranian vessel in Hormuz; Iran warns ‘retaliation soon’ — what we know

US seizes Iranian vessel in Hormuz; Iran vows 'retaliation soon' — what we know

Screengrab from video

US President Donald Trump on Sunday claimed that American forces seized an Iranian-flagged cargo ship TOUSKA after it tried to bypass a naval blockade near the Strait of Hormuz.Iran initially contradicted the claim, saying US forces were forced to retreat. However, the Islamic Republic later confirmed the seizure and warned it would “respond and retaliate”. The issue has escalated tensions days before a fragile ceasefire is set to expire.In a post on Truth Social he wrote, “Today, an Iranian-flagged cargo ship named TOUSKA… tried to get past our Naval Blockade, and it did not go well for them.”Trump said the ship was warned by a US Navy guided missile destroyer in the Gulf of Oman to stop, but it did not comply.”The US Navy Guided Missile Destroyer USS SPRUANCE intercepted the TOUSKA in the Gulf of Oman, and gave them fair warning to stop. The Iranian crew refused to listen, so our Navy ship stopped them right in their tracks by blowing a hole in the engine room. Right now, US Marines have custody of the vessel. The TOUSKA is under US Treasury Sanctions because of their prior history of illegal activity. We have full custody of the ship, and are seeing what’s on board!,” he further wrote.

CENTCOM issues statement, details seizure of Iranian vessel

US Central Command (CENTCOM) said that the forces operating in the Arabian Sea enforced naval blockade measures against the Iranian-flagged cargo vessel TOUSKA as it attempted to sail toward an Iranian port.According to CENTCOM, the USS Spruance intercepted the vessel as it transited the north Arabian Sea at 17 knots en route to Bandar Abbas, Iran. The US said repeated warnings were issued over a six-hour period, during which the vessel allegedly failed to comply with orders to stop.The agency also released the video showing how US navy intercepted Iranian vessel Touska in Hormuz. It added that “US Marines from the 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit later boarded the non-compliant vessel, which remains in US custody.” CENTCOM said US forces acted in a “deliberate, professional, and proportional manner” and claimed that since the blockade began, 25 commercial vessels have been directed to turn around or return to Iranian ports.

Iran earlier contradicted the US version

Before confirming the seizure, Iranian state-linked media gave a different account of the same incident.According to Al-Jazeera citing the semi-official Mehr news agency, “American terrorist forces deployed to the waters surrounding the Sea of Oman and opened fire on an Iranian merchant ship to force it to return to Iranian territorial waters”.It added, “with the timely presence and rapid response of the IRGC naval units in support of the Iranian ship, the Americans were forced to retreat and flee the area.” The report did not name the vessel involved.The report did not name the vessel and directly contradicted Trump’s claim of a successful seizure.

Iran confirms seizure, calls it ‘armed piracy’

Iran later confirmed that a US operation had targeted and seized one of its commercial ships.“The aggressive America, by violating the ceasefire and committing maritime piracy, attacked one of Iran’s commercial ships… by firing upon it and disabling its navigation system by deploying several of its terrorist marines on the deck,” a statement said.“We warn that the Armed Forces of the Islamic Republic of Iran will soon respond to and retaliate against this armed piracy by the US military.”The incident has cast doubt over fresh diplomatic efforts. Trump had earlier said US negotiators would travel to Pakistan for talks, but Iran has not confirmed participation.Iranian officials have also criticised what they describe as US “excessive demands” and “ceasefire breaches”, raising questions over whether negotiations will go ahead. Go to Source

Hot this week

Aishwarya’s UNSEEN look from Cannes goes viral – PICS

Aishwarya Rai Bachchan continues to dominate the fashion game at the Cannes Film Festival 2026, with the actress now going viral for yet another striking look unveiled off the red carpet. Read More

Sub-inspector among 6 cops suspended over explosives on PM Modi convoy route in Bengaluru

BENGALURU: Six police officers, including a sub-inspector, have been suspended for security lapse during Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit to the Art of Living (AOL) Foundation in the Karnataka capital on May 10. Read More

1.5 lakh fake AI citations slipped into scientific record in 2025: Study

Suggests Several Researchers Copying Them Without Check BENGALURU: A surge of AI-generated fake citations has entered scientific literature, with a new study estimating that about 1. Read More

Olivia Dean brings the curtain down on Radio 1’s Big Weekend with ‘magic’ set

The British pop star has closed out a star-studded line-up at Big Weekend, which also included Fatboy Slim and Zara Larsson. Read More

‘He was never…’: WH shooter’s mother breaks silence after seeing son’s death on social media

The mother of the man shot dead by Secret Service officers near the White House has said she was left shocked after learning about the incident online, insisting her son “was never violent”. Read More

Topics

Aishwarya’s UNSEEN look from Cannes goes viral – PICS

Aishwarya Rai Bachchan continues to dominate the fashion game at the Cannes Film Festival 2026, with the actress now going viral for yet another striking look unveiled off the red carpet. Read More

Sub-inspector among 6 cops suspended over explosives on PM Modi convoy route in Bengaluru

BENGALURU: Six police officers, including a sub-inspector, have been suspended for security lapse during Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit to the Art of Living (AOL) Foundation in the Karnataka capital on May 10. Read More

1.5 lakh fake AI citations slipped into scientific record in 2025: Study

Suggests Several Researchers Copying Them Without Check BENGALURU: A surge of AI-generated fake citations has entered scientific literature, with a new study estimating that about 1. Read More

Olivia Dean brings the curtain down on Radio 1’s Big Weekend with ‘magic’ set

The British pop star has closed out a star-studded line-up at Big Weekend, which also included Fatboy Slim and Zara Larsson. Read More

‘He was never…’: WH shooter’s mother breaks silence after seeing son’s death on social media

The mother of the man shot dead by Secret Service officers near the White House has said she was left shocked after learning about the incident online, insisting her son “was never violent”. Read More

Government brings in experts from IITs & PSBs to fix glitches in CBSE portal

NEW DELHI: Union education minister Dharmendra Pradhan has sought a detailed report from Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) after widespread complaints from students and parents over technical glitches during the post-result Read More

How a con woman used sharia law to dupe investors of Rs 6,000 crore

NEW DELHI: ED has come across a case where the prime targets of a scam were Muslims following sharia law, which prohibits earning interest on investments. Read More

India can always count on me: Donald Trump

NEW DELHI: India and the US had never been closer, US President Donald Trump told Sergio Gor in the middle of the US Independence Day celebrations, ‘Freedom 250’, attended by secretary of state Marco Rubio and external af Read More

Related Articles