Tuesday, May 19, 2026
44.1 C
New Delhi

Pentagon Signals Limited US Role In Ukraine Security As Europe Expected To Take Lead

Curated By :

Last Updated:

Zelenskyy announced during a press briefing that Ukraine would purchase additional US-made arms.

font

President Trump hosted European leaders and Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy at the White House

President Trump hosted European leaders and Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy at the White House

The Pentagon has once again reiterated its intention to play only a minimal role in providing security guarantees for Europe, according to a report by Politico citing a top defence officials. With the Trump administration signalling a reduced American contribution, the burden of long-term Ukrainian security guarantees is increasingly falling on Europe’s shoulders.

Elbridge Colby, the US Undersecretary of Defense for Policy, clarified Washington’s stance during discussions concerning Ukraine’s future security framework. He was responding to pointed questions from senior European military leaders during a closed-door meeting led by Joint Chiefs Chair General Dan Caine.

Recommended Stories

Sources familiar with the recent talks between defence chiefs from key European nations revealed that the US was directly asked whether it would commit troops and air support to help enforce a peace agreement between Ukraine and Russia. Colby’s response marked one of the clearest signals yet that Washington expects Europe to take the lead in any post-war security architecture for Kyiv.

“There’s the dawning reality that this will be Europe making this happen on the ground,” said a NATO diplomat who was briefed on the discussions. “The US is not fully committed to anything.”

While President Trump did host European leaders and Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy at the White House earlier this week in a symbolic show of unity, mixed messages emerged soon after. Zelenskyy announced during a press briefing that Ukraine would purchase additional US-made arms in a move interpreted by many as part of a broader deal aimed at securing long-term American support.

Initially, Trump declared on Monday that he was prepared to send US troops to Ukraine. However, by Tuesday, he had walked back that commitment, stating instead that he might consider offering air support for European forces. “I don’t know where that leaves us,” one European official said. “Pretty much back to where we were in the spring with the coalition of the willing.”

NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte, who participated in the White House meeting, briefed all 32 alliance members in Brussels on Wednesday. According to NATO officials, Rutte also initiated preliminary discussions on the broader framework for security guarantees, with alliance members now working to develop actionable plans for their political leaders.

News world Pentagon Signals Limited US Role In Ukraine Security As Europe Expected To Take Lead
Disclaimer: Comments reflect users’ views, not News18’s. Please keep discussions respectful and constructive. Abusive, defamatory, or illegal comments will be removed. News18 may disable any comment at its discretion. By posting, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

Loading comments…

Read More

Go to Source

Hot this week

Who were Cain Clark and Caleb Vazquez? San Diego mosque shooter’s mother called police hours before attack

Cain Clark and Caleb Velasquez, teen shooters of San Diego mosque, died from self-inflicted wounds. Read More

As Ukraine gains ground, Russia launches massive nuclear drills ahead of Putin’s China visit

The drills come as Xi is all set to welcome Putin in Beijing, amid deepening military and strategic cooperation between the two countries. Read More

‘Send Trump and Netanyahu to hell’: Iran weighs $58 million bounty bill targeting the two leaders

The proposed legislation would earmark 50 million euros (around $58 million) for individuals or organisations involved in targeting the two leaders, according to a report Go to Source Read More

Oscar-Nominated Iranian Filmmaker Jafar Panahi To Face Trial On ‘Propaganda’ Charges

The case will be heard on Wednesday by the Tehran Revolutionary Court. It comes after Panahi returned to Iran on March 30. Read More

Iran Arranges Mass Wedding of Over 100 Couples Who Are Ready To ‘Sacrifice’ For War

Iran holds mass public weddings in Tehran for self-sacrifice volunteers as parliament weighs bounty bill targeting President Trump and PM Netanyahu. Read More

Topics

Who were Cain Clark and Caleb Vazquez? San Diego mosque shooter’s mother called police hours before attack

Cain Clark and Caleb Velasquez, teen shooters of San Diego mosque, died from self-inflicted wounds. Read More

As Ukraine gains ground, Russia launches massive nuclear drills ahead of Putin’s China visit

The drills come as Xi is all set to welcome Putin in Beijing, amid deepening military and strategic cooperation between the two countries. Read More

‘Send Trump and Netanyahu to hell’: Iran weighs $58 million bounty bill targeting the two leaders

The proposed legislation would earmark 50 million euros (around $58 million) for individuals or organisations involved in targeting the two leaders, according to a report Go to Source Read More

Oscar-Nominated Iranian Filmmaker Jafar Panahi To Face Trial On ‘Propaganda’ Charges

The case will be heard on Wednesday by the Tehran Revolutionary Court. It comes after Panahi returned to Iran on March 30. Read More

Iran Arranges Mass Wedding of Over 100 Couples Who Are Ready To ‘Sacrifice’ For War

Iran holds mass public weddings in Tehran for self-sacrifice volunteers as parliament weighs bounty bill targeting President Trump and PM Netanyahu. Read More

‘Japan Is Being Destroyed’: Video Shows Bamboo Trees Covered In Graffiti At Kyoto’s Fushimi Inari Taisha

A video from Kyoto’s quiet bamboo grove near Fushimi Inari Taisha showed several bamboo stalks covered with graffiti, carvings and scratched markings. Read More

UP shocker: Roadshow, garlands, rousing welcome for rape accused after bail in Ghaziabad; Akhilesh Yadav slams BJP government

NEW DELHI: A shocking video emerged from UP’s Ghaziabad where an allaged rape accused received a rousing welcome from his supporters after being granted bail. Read More

Who wins and who loses when AI comes for the workplace

AI generated image The conversation about artificial intelligence and employment has shifted decisively from speculation to documented reality. Read More

Related Articles