Sunday, May 24, 2026
33.1 C
New Delhi

Telangana HC Rejects Woman’s Divorce, Rs 90 Lakh Alimony Plea; Says No Proof Of Husband’s Impotency

Reported By :

Last Updated:

The husband countered that the marriage was a love marriage, and that the couple had a sexual relationship both in India and the US.

font

The judges were not persuaded by the wife’s attempt to introduce fresh documents relating to financial cases.

The judges were not persuaded by the wife’s attempt to introduce fresh documents relating to financial cases.

A woman’s bid to end her marriage and secure Rs 90 lakh in permanent alimony collapsed in the Telangana High Court recently, with the court ruling that her allegations of her husband’s impotency were not backed by evidence.

The division bench of Justices Moushumi Bhattacharya and BR Madhusudhan Rao upheld a 2024 order of the Ranga Reddy family court, which had already refused to dissolve the marriage. The appeal had been filed by the wife, who insisted that her husband concealed his medical condition, failed to consummate the marriage, and subjected her to years of emotional distress.

Recommended Stories

The couple married in December 2013 in Hyderabad. According to the wife, her husband was unable to have sexual relations from the very first night, a problem that persisted during their honeymoons in Kerala and Kashmir. When she joined him in the United States in 2015, she claimed doctors confirmed that his erectile dysfunction was untreatable. She told the court that his condition, coupled with recurring medical issues, left her traumatised and robbed her of the chance to start a family.

The husband countered that the marriage was a love marriage, and that the couple had a sexual relationship both in India and the US. He admitted to experiencing difficulties but maintained that medication restored normalcy. He also pointed to financial support he extended to her, including over Rs 28 lakh transferred to her bank account, arguing that her case was driven by money rather than genuine grievance.

The High Court examined a series of medical documents, including a potency test conducted at Gandhi Hospital, Secunderabad in 2021, which concluded there was “nothing to suggest” that he was incapable of sexual intercourse. The bench noted that a diagnostic report before the marriage also showed normal sperm count.

The judges were not persuaded by the wife’s attempt to introduce fresh documents relating to financial cases in the United States, saying they were irrelevant to the matrimonial dispute and had been filed without due diligence.

Another factor that weighed heavily against her was timing. The wife filed her petition for divorce in 2018, five years after the marriage. Court observed that if the marriage had truly never been consummated, she would have raised the issue much earlier with her family or authorities.

There is no evidence to support the appellant’s contention that the respondent was incapable of performing marital obligations, the bench concluded, rejecting her plea for both divorce and alimony.

About the Author

authorimg
Salil Tiwari

Salil Tiwari, Senior Special Correspondent at Lawbeat, reports on the Allahabad High Court and courts in Uttar Pradesh, however, she also writes on important cases of national importance and public interests fr…Read More

Salil Tiwari, Senior Special Correspondent at Lawbeat, reports on the Allahabad High Court and courts in Uttar Pradesh, however, she also writes on important cases of national importance and public interests fr… Read More

News india Telangana HC Rejects Woman’s Divorce, Rs 90 Lakh Alimony Plea; Says No Proof Of Husband’s Impotency
Disclaimer: Comments reflect users’ views, not News18’s. Please keep discussions respectful and constructive. Abusive, defamatory, or illegal comments will be removed. News18 may disable any comment at its discretion. By posting, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

Loading comments…

Read More

Go to Source

Hot this week

From Hormuz to nuclear talks – what to expect in the 60-day US-Iran ceasefire proposal

The United States and Iran are close to signing a proposed agreement that would extend the current ceasefire for 60 days, reopen the Strait of Hormuz and allow Iran to resume oil exports while negotiations continue on Tehran’s nuclear Read More

‘Obsession with our country’s most cherished structure’: Trump reacts to White House shooting

US President Donald Trump on Sunday reacted to the recent shooting near the “most cherished structure” and hailed the Secret Service and law enforcement agencies for their “swift and professional” action that led to the killing of the 21 Read More

India issues advisory, urges nationals to avoid travel to DR Congo, Uganda & South Sudan amid Ebola outbreak

The government of India issued a travel advisory on Sunday, urging Indian nationals to avoid non-essential travel to countries affected by the Ebola outbreak. Read More

Trump thanks Secret Service for ‘swift action’ after gunman shot near White House

US President Donald Trump praised the Secret Service for its swift response after agents shot dead 21-year-old Nasire Best near the White House following a gunfire exchange. Read More

Iran Says Peace Talks With US In ‘Final Stage’, MoU Near Completion

According to Baqaei, Iran’s immediate goal is to finalise a 14-point memorandum of understanding that addresses the main issues Tehran considers necessary to end the conflict. Read More

Topics

From Hormuz to nuclear talks – what to expect in the 60-day US-Iran ceasefire proposal

The United States and Iran are close to signing a proposed agreement that would extend the current ceasefire for 60 days, reopen the Strait of Hormuz and allow Iran to resume oil exports while negotiations continue on Tehran’s nuclear Read More

‘Obsession with our country’s most cherished structure’: Trump reacts to White House shooting

US President Donald Trump on Sunday reacted to the recent shooting near the “most cherished structure” and hailed the Secret Service and law enforcement agencies for their “swift and professional” action that led to the killing of the 21 Read More

India issues advisory, urges nationals to avoid travel to DR Congo, Uganda & South Sudan amid Ebola outbreak

The government of India issued a travel advisory on Sunday, urging Indian nationals to avoid non-essential travel to countries affected by the Ebola outbreak. Read More

Trump thanks Secret Service for ‘swift action’ after gunman shot near White House

US President Donald Trump praised the Secret Service for its swift response after agents shot dead 21-year-old Nasire Best near the White House following a gunfire exchange. Read More

Iran Says Peace Talks With US In ‘Final Stage’, MoU Near Completion

According to Baqaei, Iran’s immediate goal is to finalise a 14-point memorandum of understanding that addresses the main issues Tehran considers necessary to end the conflict. Read More

Kim Kardashian Says She Has ‘Pill Fatigue’: What Is It, Why It Happens, And How It Can Affect Your Health

Pill fatigue the mental, emotional, and sometimes physical burnout that comes from taking multiple medicines or supplements every day, especially over long periods. Read More

ABP Live Doc Talk | Cervical Pain In The Digital Age: What Young People Need To Know

Cervical pain, commonly known as neck pain, is increasingly being seen among individuals under the age of thirty. Earlier, cervical pain was mostly associated with older age groups, but this trend has changed significantly. Read More

Allu Arjun shares Ayaan’s joy after special gift from Venkatesh Iyer

Picture Credit: X Allu Arjun’s son Ayaan had a memorable fan moment as the young RCB supporter received a signed jersey from Indian cricketer Venkatesh Iyer. Read More

Related Articles