Monday, August 17, 2026
29 C
New Delhi

US launches fresh strikes as Iran closes Strait of Hormuz

Vessels at the Strait of Hormuz, as seen from Musandam, Oman, July 8, 2026.Reuters
Robert Greenall and Tabby Wilson

The US said it launched a fresh wave of strikes on Iran after Tehran struck a ship passing through the Strait of Hormuz.

Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) says it closed the waterway until further notice, and the “offending” vessel was attacked after it turned off its systems and diverted from the approved route, according to state media.

US Central Command (Centcom) says it carried out the “third round of strikes this week” after the IRGC forces “blatantly attacked” a Cyprus-flagged vessel.

It comes after incidents earlier this week in which three commercial tankers were attacked, prompting an exchange of strikes with the US.

Centcom said the vessel was “unable to continue its journey” as a result of significant damage to the engine room. One civilian crew member was missing, it said.

“Iran was provided yet another opportunity to demonstrate adherence to the Memorandum of Understanding after being held accountable for earlier attacks on commercial vessels but has again failed,” Centcom wrote in a statement shared to X.

The statement was shared by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth, who wrote: “Iran made a poor choice. Now they pay.”

Earlier on Sunday, state media said Iran had closed the Strait of Hormuz until further notice after firing a naval cruise missile at a vessel that was attempting to sail along an unapproved route.

The Guards said the vessel was “hit by warning shots and stopped” after ignoring repeated instructions, according to a statement carried by state news agency

It also warned that any US “aggression” as a result of the closure would be responded to with “severity” and new bases in the region would be targeted.

Map titled “IRGC’s published route through Strait of Hormuz” showing red proposed shipping routes running through the Strait of Hormuz between Iran and Oman. The routes pass near the Iranian islands of Qeshm and Larak, skirt a shaded circular “dangerous area,” and connect the Persian Gulf to the Gulf of Oman, with arrows indicating two-way traffic; nearby countries (Iran, UAE, Oman) and a distance scale are labelled.

Earlier this week, three commercial tankers were attacked as they tried to cross a US-recommended route through Omani waters. Iran has repeatedly said the only “safe” route is a separate route through its waters.

The incident prompted a series of US strikes in which 17 people were killed and 115 injured, according to Iranian officials. Iran responded with strikes on US allies in the Gulf.

The exchange raised tensions, with US President Donald Trump declaring the Iranian attacks mean the ceasefire is over. Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi has accused the US of violating the deal.

However, the US leader said talks would still continue and mediators were trying to revive the process. US media has reported that Iran told American officials the attacks on tankers were a mistake and blamed a rogue internal group.

American officials say they have conveyed through mediators the demand that Iran publicly state that the Strait of Hormuz, a vital international shipping route, is open and pledge to stop firing on commercial ships.

The closure follows a call for revenge from Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Mojtaba Khamenei, in his first public statement since taking leadership.

His father and predecessor, Ali Khamenei, was killed in an air strike on 28 February, on the first day of the US-Israeli war against Iran. He was buried in his home city of Mashhad on Friday.

Reading a statement on state television, the new ayatollah said that vengeance was the “will of the nation”.

“We pledge to avenge the blood of the martyred leader and all the martyrs of these two wars from the criminal and disgraced killers,” he was quoted as saying.

“The matter depends neither on my personal existence nor on that of other officials. Whether we are present or not, it will come to pass.”

Mourners gather for the burial of Iranian Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei in Mashhad. Many are carrying red flags with Arabic script and in the centre a man holds a picture of a sitting Khamenei, with his son Mojtaba standing above him.Reuters

Many Iranians taking part in funeral ceremonies over the past few days carried placards calling for the killing of US President Donald Trump, who on Saturday warned that any such plans would see the US “decimate and destroy all areas” of Iran in response.

The Wall Street Journal and other US media reported this week that Israel had shared intelligence with Washington that Iran had recently devised a plan to assassinate the US president.

However, Trump denied that Tehran had made a fresh plan or that Israel was the source of any intelligence. He told the New York Post in an interview that he had been “No. 1 [on Iran’s kill list] for a long time”.

Related topics

  • United States
  • Iran war
  • Iran
  • Ali Khamenei

More on this story

  • How Iran’s new regime is very different to what came before

    • 6 days ago
    A billboard featuring the images of the late founder of the Islamic Revolution supreme leader Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini (L), the Iran's slain supreme leader Ali Khamenei (C) and his son, the current supreme leader Mojtaba Khamenei, along the street in Tehran
  • Bowen: For all his bluster, Trump has no better option than talks with Iran

    • 3 days ago
    Crowds with Iranian flags in front of a billboard showing the late suprememe leader at his funeral
  • Big fall in oil, gas and cargo ships taking US-backed Hormuz route after new strikes

    • 2 days ago
    An image of five ships with the BBC Verify branding

Go to Source

Hot this week

‘Not worthy of life’: Israel minister Ben-Gvir calls for killing ’30 to 40′ people daily in Gaza

Be -Gvi calls fo mo e Gaza killi gs Is aeli atio al secu ity mi iste Itama Be -Gvi , a lawmake i P ime Mi iste Be jami Neta yahu’s coalitio , publicly called fo the killi g of “30 to 40” people i Gaza each ight, i comme ts that s Read More

MG Hector Tomahawk Electric To Rival XEV 9S With Radical New Look

Show Quick Read Key poi ts ge e ated by AI, ve ified by ews oom MG Hecto Tomahawk elect ic SUV u veils o August 26th. Lau ches as EV; plug-i hyb id optio to follow late . Featu es 69.2kWh batte y, 530km a ge, a d 201 bhp. Read More

Yash breaks silence on Toxic, Dhurandhar clash controversy: ‘Rs 100-200 crore kam hone se..’

Yash sta e ‘Toxic: A Fai y Tale fo G ow -Ups’ is fi ally eleasi g i ci emas afte much delay. Read More

Europe wildfires: 2 dead, 500 evacuated as twin blazes hit Greek island near Athens

Two people have died i fi es that b oke out simulta eously Su day o the isla d of Salamis ea Athe s, the local fi e depa tme t said. Read More

Share Markets Open The Week In Red Despite Asian Peers’ Rally: Sensex About 300 Points Down

I dia equity be chma ks bega Mo day’s sessio o a cautious ote despite a st o g pe fo ma ce ac oss seve al Asia ma kets, with i vesto s t acki g global cues, c ude oil p ices a d developme ts i West Asia. Read More

Topics

‘Not worthy of life’: Israel minister Ben-Gvir calls for killing ’30 to 40′ people daily in Gaza

Be -Gvi calls fo mo e Gaza killi gs Is aeli atio al secu ity mi iste Itama Be -Gvi , a lawmake i P ime Mi iste Be jami Neta yahu’s coalitio , publicly called fo the killi g of “30 to 40” people i Gaza each ight, i comme ts that s Read More

MG Hector Tomahawk Electric To Rival XEV 9S With Radical New Look

Show Quick Read Key poi ts ge e ated by AI, ve ified by ews oom MG Hecto Tomahawk elect ic SUV u veils o August 26th. Lau ches as EV; plug-i hyb id optio to follow late . Featu es 69.2kWh batte y, 530km a ge, a d 201 bhp. Read More

Yash breaks silence on Toxic, Dhurandhar clash controversy: ‘Rs 100-200 crore kam hone se..’

Yash sta e ‘Toxic: A Fai y Tale fo G ow -Ups’ is fi ally eleasi g i ci emas afte much delay. Read More

Europe wildfires: 2 dead, 500 evacuated as twin blazes hit Greek island near Athens

Two people have died i fi es that b oke out simulta eously Su day o the isla d of Salamis ea Athe s, the local fi e depa tme t said. Read More

Share Markets Open The Week In Red Despite Asian Peers’ Rally: Sensex About 300 Points Down

I dia equity be chma ks bega Mo day’s sessio o a cautious ote despite a st o g pe fo ma ce ac oss seve al Asia ma kets, with i vesto s t acki g global cues, c ude oil p ices a d developme ts i West Asia. Read More

‘Heroes’ star Hayden Panettiere passes away 36: Reps confirm

Act ess Hayde Pa ettie e, best k ow fo he oles i ‘He oes’ has sadly passed away. She was 36. Read More

Kalyani on ‘Pralay’: ‘Time to make a film we’re gonna be proud of’

As the much-a ticipated film ‘P alay’ we t o floo s, act ess Kalya i P iyada sha sha ed he exciteme t about the upcomi g p oject whcih will see he sta i g opposite Ra vee Si gh i the lead. Read More

Web Series On Vinod Kambli’s Life: Who Will Play Cricket Legend?

The co t asti g jou eys of Sachi Te dulka a d Vi od Kambli have lo g bee discussed i I dia c icket. Read More

Related Articles