Saturday, February 21, 2026
27.1 C
New Delhi

Tennis Kenya admits it shouldn’t have let amateur compete after viral defeat

Hajar Abdelkader fails to serve properly during her match with Lorena SchaedelITF

The organisers of a professional women’s tournament which has gone viral on social media because of a wildcard player’s dire performance have acknowledged she should not have been allowed to play.

Egyptian Hajar Abdelkader, 21, lost 6-0 6-0 and served 20 double faults during the first-round match in Nairobi on Wednesday, with the footage leaving many viewers wondering if she had ever played tennis before.

The amateur player won only three points during her 37-minute debut – two double faults by opponent Lorena Schaedel and an unforced error from the bemused German, ranked 1,026th in the world.

The match was part of an International Tennis Federation (ITF) W35 tournament, hosted by Tennis Kenya, the governing body for the sport in Kenya.

Tennis Kenya said it had reached out to both Abdelkader and Schaedel to offer its support “given the extent and nature of coverage of this match”.

Tennis Kenya said Abdelkader had applied to enter the tournament as a wildcard and had been given a space at the last minute following the withdrawal of another player.

The organisation said she was permitted to enter to maintain a balance of players and nations represented in the tournament, but said that in hindsight she should not have been allowed to play.

“The federation has taken note of this experience and will ensure that such an extremely rare occurrence never happens again,” the organisation added.

“Tennis Kenya remains committed to fairness, transparency and the integrity of competition, as well as to the continued development of tennis in Kenya, East Africa, and across Africa.”

The Egyptian Tennis Federation confirmed to the BBC Abdelkader has never been registered as an Egyptian player and had not been entered into the tournament on Egypt’s behalf.

Egyptian Tennis Federation technical director Dia Nabil Loutfy said: “We would like to clarify that she is not registered with the Egyptian Tennis Federation, nor is she included in any of our official player lists.

“Based on the information available to us, the player was previously residing in Kenya and participated in the ITF tournament in Nairobi through a wildcard granted by the Kenyan Tennis Federation.

“The Egyptian Tennis Federation had no role whatsoever, whether directly or indirectly, in the nomination, approval, or issuance of this wildcard, and we were not involved in the player’s entry into the tournament in any capacity.”

The organisation said it had no records relating to Abdelkader, and said she had never been affiliated with the Egyptian Tennis Federation.

Related topics

  • Tennis

More on this story

  • Live scores, results and order of play

    Some tennis balls
  • Get tennis news sent straight to your phone

    • 16 August 2025
    BBC Sport microphone and phone

Go to Source

Hot this week

Trump tariffs: Does US Supreme Court ruling restore pre-Trump 2.0 levies?

While the US Supreme Court declared Trump tariffs “unlawful”, it does not mean that we would go back to the pre-Trump 2.0 era. Here’s why. Read More

Who is Asha Sharma? Microsoft Gaming’s new CEO to lead Xbox

Microsoft has appointed Indian-origin executive Asha Sharma as executive vice president and chief executive of its Xbox gaming division, as the company reshuffles leadership and signals a renewed focus on core gaming and long-term growth. Read More

US administration warns of rising radicalism after fatal assault on French citizen

The killing of 23-year-old far-right activist Quentin Deranque in Lyon has ignited a sharp diplomatic row, drawing a stern rebuke from the Trump administration. Read More

Ramadan 2026: Sehri And Iftar Timings For February 22 In Delhi, Mumbai, Bengaluru And Other Cities

Ramadan 2026 Sehri and Iftar timings for February 22 across Delhi, Mumbai, Bengaluru and other Indian cities. Check complete city-wise fasting schedule here. Read More

Instagram Influencer Arrested In Kerala For Alleged Sexual Assault Of Multiple Women

Social media influencer Yadu Girish was arrested in Thrissur after several women accused him of sexual assault on Instagram; police are investigating further. Read More

Topics

Trump tariffs: Does US Supreme Court ruling restore pre-Trump 2.0 levies?

While the US Supreme Court declared Trump tariffs “unlawful”, it does not mean that we would go back to the pre-Trump 2.0 era. Here’s why. Read More

Who is Asha Sharma? Microsoft Gaming’s new CEO to lead Xbox

Microsoft has appointed Indian-origin executive Asha Sharma as executive vice president and chief executive of its Xbox gaming division, as the company reshuffles leadership and signals a renewed focus on core gaming and long-term growth. Read More

US administration warns of rising radicalism after fatal assault on French citizen

The killing of 23-year-old far-right activist Quentin Deranque in Lyon has ignited a sharp diplomatic row, drawing a stern rebuke from the Trump administration. Read More

Ramadan 2026: Sehri And Iftar Timings For February 22 In Delhi, Mumbai, Bengaluru And Other Cities

Ramadan 2026 Sehri and Iftar timings for February 22 across Delhi, Mumbai, Bengaluru and other Indian cities. Check complete city-wise fasting schedule here. Read More

Instagram Influencer Arrested In Kerala For Alleged Sexual Assault Of Multiple Women

Social media influencer Yadu Girish was arrested in Thrissur after several women accused him of sexual assault on Instagram; police are investigating further. Read More

Ratcliffe Gets Away Scot-Free: FA Issues Warning To Man United Co-Owner, No Further Action

The FA won’t punish Jim Ratcliffe for his immigration comments. He apologized after backlash but stays co-owner as Man United pursue a Champions League finish in the PL. Read More

Gujarat Man Kills Minor Girlfriend After She Gets Pregnant, Dumps Body In Well

A man from Gujarat’s Kutch allegedly killed his minor girlfriend after she got pregnant and dumped her body in a well with the help of a friend; probe is ongoing. Read More

‘We’re Studying Developments’: Centre’s First Response To US Top Court’s Decision On Trump’s Tariffs

The Commerce Ministry said it was studying all developments in the US, from the court’s decisions to Trump’s new round of tariffs, to analyse their implications. Read More

Related Articles