Sunday, May 24, 2026
43.1 C
New Delhi

Mercedes keeps ‘value over volume’ approach in tough Chinese market



<p>Kaellenius said the company would not change its strategy in China and would maintain its premium approach.</p>
<p>“/><figcaption class= Kaellenius said the company would not change its strategy in China and would maintain its premium approach.

German luxury automaker Mercedes-Benz is sticking with its premium strategy in its main market China, where a brutal pricing war has cost the group market share as local customers increasingly switch to cheaper domestic models.

CEO Ola Kaellenius, speaking to Reuters ahead of the IAA auto show in Munich, said the new electric GLC SUV – which Mercedes-Benz unveiled on Sunday – would be instrumental in recovering lost ground in the world’s largest auto market.

“This is going to hit the nail on the head in terms of what Chinese Mercedes customers are looking for,” Kaellenius said.

“And yes, we charge a little bit more. But GLC fans can rest assured … from a pricing point of view, if you’re currently a GLC customer, you will also feel at home with this new electric GLC.”

Like Porsche, Mercedes-Benz has been protecting margins at the expense of market share in China, where it suffered a 19 per cent decline in vehicle sales to 140,400 in the second quarter of 2025.

Kaellenius said the company would not change its strategy in China and would maintain its premium approach.

Mercedes-Benz and its European peers are currently awaiting a lowering of US auto import tariffs to 15 per cent from 27.5 per cent , something Washington has pledged as part of the European Union’s move to eliminate tariffs on most US goods.

“The European Commission and their trade team are working with the American administration on this,” Kaellenius said, adding he hoped that the US administration would soon sign an executive order to get the tariffs down.

Kaellenius did not quantify the financial impact tariffs have had so far on the group’s results but said “we’re doing what we can to mitigate it”.

  • Published On Sep 8, 2025 at 10:36 AM IST

Join the community of 2M+ industry professionals.

Subscribe to Newsletter to get latest insights & analysis in your inbox.

All about ETAuto industry right on your smartphone!

Go to Source

Hot this week

‘Missile destroyed a building near my parents’ house this morning’: Marta Kostyuk stuns French Open crowd after win

Ukraine’s Marta Kostyuk overcame emotional turmoil to defeat Russia’s Oksana Selekhmeteva in the first round of the French Open after a missile strike near her parents’ home in Kyiv. The 15th seed extended her clay winning streak to 12 matches. Read More

Trump turnaround: Open the straits, close the war

TOI correspondent from Washington: “Iran never won a war, but never lost a negotiation,” U.S President Donald Trump said in January 2020 during his first term. Read More

Rubio acknowledges ‘friction points’ in US immigration overhaul after India raises visa concerns

Jaishankar raises concerns over visa and mobility challenges faced by Indian professionals as Washington defends sweeping immigration and green card policy changes. Read More

Who was Nasire Best, White House shooter identified himself as Jesus & had prior Secret Service encounters?

Reports said Best had a documented history of mental health issues and had previously come to the attention of the US Secret Service. Read More

Dhaka Deploys AI To Tackle Traffic Chaos, Cops Say They’re Getting Results

Dhaka launches AI traffic enforcement using cameras to detect violations. Early results show improved driver compliance and 300 vehicles prosecuted so far. Read More

Topics

‘Missile destroyed a building near my parents’ house this morning’: Marta Kostyuk stuns French Open crowd after win

Ukraine’s Marta Kostyuk overcame emotional turmoil to defeat Russia’s Oksana Selekhmeteva in the first round of the French Open after a missile strike near her parents’ home in Kyiv. The 15th seed extended her clay winning streak to 12 matches. Read More

Trump turnaround: Open the straits, close the war

TOI correspondent from Washington: “Iran never won a war, but never lost a negotiation,” U.S President Donald Trump said in January 2020 during his first term. Read More

Rubio acknowledges ‘friction points’ in US immigration overhaul after India raises visa concerns

Jaishankar raises concerns over visa and mobility challenges faced by Indian professionals as Washington defends sweeping immigration and green card policy changes. Read More

Who was Nasire Best, White House shooter identified himself as Jesus & had prior Secret Service encounters?

Reports said Best had a documented history of mental health issues and had previously come to the attention of the US Secret Service. Read More

Dhaka Deploys AI To Tackle Traffic Chaos, Cops Say They’re Getting Results

Dhaka launches AI traffic enforcement using cameras to detect violations. Early results show improved driver compliance and 300 vehicles prosecuted so far. Read More

After Modi’s Push For Domestic Tourism, Here Are 8 Places Seeing A Surge

Modi’s Vocal for Local push is driving a shift from foreign trips to premium domestic tourism, boosting bookings in Lakshadweep, Puducherry, Jodhpur and other places Go to Source Author: News18 Read More

Education ministry directs deployment of IIT Madras, IIT Kanpur experts to fix CBSE post-result portal glitches

Photo credit: ANI NEW DELHI: The ministry of education on Sunday said it has directed IIT Madras and IIT Kanpur to assist the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) in resolving technical issues on its post-result services port Read More

London To Paris: Delhi Gymkhana’s 61 Affiliated Clubs Across 15 Countries

Founded in 1913 as the Imperial Delhi Gymkhana Club, it stands as one of India’s oldest and most iconic social and sporting landmarks Go to Source Read More

Related Articles