Sunday, May 24, 2026
39.1 C
New Delhi

Edmunds test of Geely Galaxy M9 highlights rising threat of Chinese EV tech to US automakers



<p>The test reflects a broader trend of rising global interest in affordable, feature-rich Chinese vehicles.</p>
<p>“/><figcaption class= The test reflects a broader trend of rising global interest in affordable, feature-rich Chinese vehicles.

Popular car-shopping website Edmunds put a Chinese vehicle through a series of rigorous tests for the first time, and Editor-in-Chief Alistair Weaver came away with a notable impression: US automakers have good reason for concern.

While Chinese cars are effectively banned in the United States, Edmunds wanted to test one because of growing US consumer interest in the affordable, feature-packed vehicles. It got its hands on a Geely Galaxy M9 – an extended-range SUV hybrid starting at about $25,000 in China – and put the vehicle through its full battery of testing ‌to measure driving range, ⁠acceleration, braking ⁠and other performance characteristics.

Many of the M9’s features are “ahead of the vehicles that we’re driving in the US,” Weaver said after driving the vehicle around Edmunds’ Los Angeles-based test track. “The technology is terrific.”

A recent survey from Cox Automotive showed US consumers are increasingly open to Chinese-brand vehicles, which are being kept out of the market by regulations, lawmaker opposition and tariffs around 100 per cent. Some consumers are even scheming ways to get Chinese models over the border from Mexico, where they’re prevalent, or Canada, where their presence is likely to grow after Canada eased trade barriers.

Geely said it provided the vehicle to Edmunds to demonstrate its global technological capabilities rather than signal a push to break into the US market. “Geely continuously ⁠evaluates global ‌markets, but our current commercial focus for the Galaxy M9 remains on China,” a spokesperson said.

Matching pricier competitors

Edmunds got access to this vehicle after connecting with Geely executives at the CES trade show earlier this year, Weaver said. While new Chinese-brand ⁠cars can’t be imported and sold, Edmunds can legally borrow the vehicle from Geely and drive it on US roads.

Its staff drove the model around for about three weeks in everyday scenarios, like going to the grocery store, in addition to conducting a 227-point evaluation of its performance and functionality.

It found that the three-row Galaxy M9 SUV rivals vehicles twice its price, such as the fully loaded Hyundai Palisade, Kia Telluride or Toyota Grand Highlander. While the model would undoubtedly be priced higher if it were available in the US, Edmunds said it would still be competitive at double its current $25,000 starting price in China.

The Galaxy M9 offers a 30-inch infotainment screen, which Edmunds found to be as responsive as those in a Tesla. On top of the ‌core tech, the M9 offers frills common in Chinese vehicles: a built-in fridge, exterior speakers and a flip-down entertainment screen for the second row.

The plug-in hybrid’s estimated 808 miles of driving range surpasses projections from similar products slated to arrive soon from US companies. Extended-range hybrids like the M9 ⁠have large batteries that power the vehicle like an EV and small gasoline engines that act primarily as generators to charge the battery. The M9 can travel about 100 miles on electric power alone before the generator is needed, according to Edmunds’ tests.

Chinese automakers have offered extended-range hybrids for years. Major automakers including Ford and Stellantis are planning to introduce them in the US as an alternative to slower-selling EVs.

China’s ultra-competitive car market has pressured automakers to roll out increasingly feature-packed models at low prices, said Tu Le, founder of consultancy Sino Auto Insights. If those options are kept out of the US market, especially as prices creep up, buyers will get frustrated, he said.

“We’re seeing some of the most innovative products at the lowest prices, and consumers around the world are benefiting,” Le said. “To keep them out 100 per cent, full stop, that’s what’s going to upset people.”

  • Published On Apr 7, 2026 at 10:25 AM IST

Join the community of 2M+ industry professionals.

Subscribe to Newsletter to get latest insights & analysis in your inbox.

All about ETAuto industry right on your smartphone!

Go to Source

Hot this week

Anita Kanwal says Dhurandhar gave her hope, proud of Rakesh Bedi

Veteran actress Anita Kanwal has opened up about actors Akshaye Khanna and Arjun Rampal finally getting their due as performers, while candidly admitting that she too hopes for her own “Dhurandhar moment” someday. Read More

Trump Says US ‘In No Rush’ For Deal With Iran, Warns ‘There Can Be No Mistakes’

Show Quick Read Key points generated by AI, verified by newsroom Trump criticizes Obama-era deal, sanctions remain. Read More

‘Perhaps Iran will join Abraham Accords’: Trump says won’t rush deal, Iran talks proceeding constructively

Trump insisted that US would not rush into a final agreement with Tehran amid growing expectations of a possible deal. Read More

Falta repoll result 2026: BJP’s Debangshu Panda wins with nearly 1.5 lakh votes, TMC’s Jahangir Khan restricted to 7k

Falta assembly constituency Bharatiya Janata Party candidate Debangshu Panda won the repoll in Falta by a massive margin of 1,09,021 votes, defeating Communist Party of India (Marxist) candidate Sambhu Nath Kurmi. Read More

NTA Postpones May 28 CUET-UG Exam Over Eid Holiday Change, New Date To Be Out Soon

NTA said the tests planned for both shifts on May 28 stand postponed in view of the updated holiday issued by the Government of India. Read More

Topics

Anita Kanwal says Dhurandhar gave her hope, proud of Rakesh Bedi

Veteran actress Anita Kanwal has opened up about actors Akshaye Khanna and Arjun Rampal finally getting their due as performers, while candidly admitting that she too hopes for her own “Dhurandhar moment” someday. Read More

Trump Says US ‘In No Rush’ For Deal With Iran, Warns ‘There Can Be No Mistakes’

Show Quick Read Key points generated by AI, verified by newsroom Trump criticizes Obama-era deal, sanctions remain. Read More

‘Perhaps Iran will join Abraham Accords’: Trump says won’t rush deal, Iran talks proceeding constructively

Trump insisted that US would not rush into a final agreement with Tehran amid growing expectations of a possible deal. Read More

Falta repoll result 2026: BJP’s Debangshu Panda wins with nearly 1.5 lakh votes, TMC’s Jahangir Khan restricted to 7k

Falta assembly constituency Bharatiya Janata Party candidate Debangshu Panda won the repoll in Falta by a massive margin of 1,09,021 votes, defeating Communist Party of India (Marxist) candidate Sambhu Nath Kurmi. Read More

NTA Postpones May 28 CUET-UG Exam Over Eid Holiday Change, New Date To Be Out Soon

NTA said the tests planned for both shifts on May 28 stand postponed in view of the updated holiday issued by the Government of India. Read More

India–US Boost Strategic Ties in Hyderabad House Talks on Trade, Defence & Security Cooperation

In a pivotal meeting at Hyderabad House, India and the U.S. advanced their strategic partnership, focusing on trade, defense, and counter-terrorism. External Affairs Minister Dr. S. J. Shankar and U.S. Read More

India–US Boost Strategic Ties in Hyderabad House Talks on Trade, Defence & Security Cooperation

In a pivotal meeting at Hyderabad House, India and the U.S. advanced their strategic partnership, focusing on trade, defense, and counter-terrorism. External Affairs Minister Dr. S. J. Shankar and U.S. Read More

Brendan Wayne talks about ‘The Mandalorian and Grogu’

‘The Mandalorian and Grogu’ star Brendan Wayne is following in his grandfather John Wayne’s footsteps with his ‘Star Wars’ character. Read More

Related Articles