Friday, May 22, 2026
42.1 C
New Delhi

Aston Martin cuts development spend as tariffs, weak China hit earnings



<p>Aston Martin is slashing spending on new car development by 300 million pounds. This comes after a larger than expected quarterly loss. </p>
<p>“/><figcaption class= Aston Martin is slashing spending on new car development by 300 million pounds. This comes after a larger than expected quarterly loss.

Aston Martin will cut its spending on developing new cars by 300 million pounds ($402 million) after uncertainty from US tariffs and “extremely subdued” Chinese demand led to another wider-than-expected quarterly loss on Wednesday.

Only weeks after warning of a deepening annual loss, the British luxury carmaker said it is reviewing its costs and future capital spending as the global macroeconomic environment for the automotive industry remains challenging.

The carmaker’s shares, which have skidded about 40 per cent so far this year, fell as much as 7.8 per cent in early trading on Wednesday.

Aston Martin said it expects to spend about 1.7 billion pounds over five years as part of its future product cycle plan, down from 2 billion pounds. It also cut its 2025 expenditure forecast to around 350 million pounds, from 375 million pounds.

Earlier this month, Aston Martin flagged a deeper annual loss, citing subdued demand in China, the impact of US tariffs, and broader pressures on Britain’s automotive industry, including supply chain risks exacerbated by a recent cyber incident at Jaguar Land Rover(JLR).

Despite cost cuts, the carmaker said it no longer expects positive free cash flow in the second half of 2025, but still anticipates a sequential improvement in the fourth quarter.

Aston Martin reported an adjusted pre-tax loss of 106.9 million pounds for the three months to September 30, compared to average analysts’ expectations of a 99 million pound loss.

Known as fictional secret agent James Bond’s brand of choice, Aston Martin had resumed shipments to the US in June after earlier curbs aimed at clearing inventories and raised prices in response to tariffs.

The carmaker maintained its annual loss forecast of more than 110 million pounds, but said profitability and cash flow would materially improve in 2026.

  • Published On Oct 29, 2025 at 04:31 PM IST

Join the community of 2M+ industry professionals.

Subscribe to Newsletter to get latest insights & analysis in your inbox.

All about ETAuto industry right on your smartphone!

Go to Source

Hot this week

Cockroach Janta Party a ‘national security concern’: Why its X account was blocked

Amid the virality of the Cockroach Janta Party, its X account was blocked, with Intelligence Bureau citing ‘national security concerns’. Read More

Ebola crisis: UN sends emergency teams to DR Congo to contain viral outbreak

The United Nations has released approximately 60 million dollars from its emergency reserve and deployed medical teams to the Democratic Republic of Congo to contain a rapidly spreading outbreak of the rare Bundibugyo Ebola strain, which has already Read More

Airbus And Air France Found Guilty Of Manslaughter: What The Flight 447 Ruling Means For Flyers

Flight AF447 was travelling from Rio de Janeiro to Paris in June 2009 when the Airbus A330 disappeared over the Atlantic during a storm. Read More

Chinese General Posed As Server To Spy On Elon Musk At Trump’s Beijing Banquet? All You Need To Know

An independent blogger has made the claims, even though media outlets, including News18, could not verify it, and the Chinese government has issued no official response Go to Source Read More

‘Oil Markets Nearing Red Zone’: IEA Chief Calls For ‘Full, Unconditional’ Reopening Of Hormuz Amid Iran War

Birol warned that the global oil markets could enter the “red zone” by July-August, as the world grapples with fuel price rise caused by the closure of Hormuz Go to Source Read More

Topics

Cockroach Janta Party a ‘national security concern’: Why its X account was blocked

Amid the virality of the Cockroach Janta Party, its X account was blocked, with Intelligence Bureau citing ‘national security concerns’. Read More

Ebola crisis: UN sends emergency teams to DR Congo to contain viral outbreak

The United Nations has released approximately 60 million dollars from its emergency reserve and deployed medical teams to the Democratic Republic of Congo to contain a rapidly spreading outbreak of the rare Bundibugyo Ebola strain, which has already Read More

Airbus And Air France Found Guilty Of Manslaughter: What The Flight 447 Ruling Means For Flyers

Flight AF447 was travelling from Rio de Janeiro to Paris in June 2009 when the Airbus A330 disappeared over the Atlantic during a storm. Read More

Chinese General Posed As Server To Spy On Elon Musk At Trump’s Beijing Banquet? All You Need To Know

An independent blogger has made the claims, even though media outlets, including News18, could not verify it, and the Chinese government has issued no official response Go to Source Read More

‘Oil Markets Nearing Red Zone’: IEA Chief Calls For ‘Full, Unconditional’ Reopening Of Hormuz Amid Iran War

Birol warned that the global oil markets could enter the “red zone” by July-August, as the world grapples with fuel price rise caused by the closure of Hormuz Go to Source Read More

Cubans grapple with fuel shortages and blackouts as US steps up pressure

Ana Rosa Romero lives on the 11th floor of the Granma Dos building, an imposing modernist social housing block in the Cuban capital, Havana. Read More

10 Balcony Creepers To Protect Your Home From Extreme Heat

Transform your balcony into a cooling sanctuary by using lush, climbing greenery to block intense sunlight and naturally lower temperatures. Read More

Could Extreme Running Raise Colon Cancer Risk? Why A New Study Is Sparking Debate Among Marathoners

A new study says how extreme endurance running place unexpected stress on the gut and potentially increase the risk of precancerous colon growths Go to Source Author: News18 Read More

Related Articles