Saturday, May 23, 2026
37.1 C
New Delhi

Indian-origin cancer specialist banned from practising in UK says, ‘I will never work…’

Indian-origin cancer specialist banned from practising in UK says, 'I will never work in that country again'

Shamir Chandran was convicted of coercive behaviour and is wanted by police

An Indian-origin cancer specialist has been struck off the UK medical register after a tribunal ruled that his criminal conviction made him a risk to the public, meaning he can no longer practise medicine in the UK, a sanction more severe than simply being dismissed from his job.Shamir Chandran, an oncologist who previously worked at a Newcastle hospital, was sentenced in November to four years in prison after being convicted of two counts of controlling and coercive behaviour and one count of cruelty to a person under 16.The Medical Practitioners Tribunal Service (MPTS) has now ordered that his name be erased from the medical register, according to BBC.According to BBC, Chandran did not attend either his criminal trial at Carlisle Crown Court or the disciplinary proceedings. The report stated that he had fled the UK and that there is an outstanding warrant for his arrest. Cumbria Police confirmed he is wanted.The tribunal described the offences as serious and said the behaviour involved repeated actions against vulnerable individuals.“It was directed towards people who were vulnerable and involved elements of premeditation – seeking financial gain from [his victim] through intimidation,” the report said. The MPTS also found that Chandran had shown no understanding of the seriousness of his actions or their impact: “The tribunal considered that there was a real risk of him harming someone in the future.”The tribunal said allowing him to continue practising medicine would seriously damage public confidence in the profession.Emails included in the tribunal documents showed Chandran criticised the way he was treated in Britain and said his medical career had been ruined.“I don’t care anymore about the proceedings, as my career has already been destroyed,” he wrote to the General Medical Council (GMC).“I am utterly disgusted with the way I have been treated in the UK and I will never work in that country again. They treated me like a common criminal without giving any regard to what I had to say and the impact of what they were doing.”The tribunal documents also revealed that Chandran had resigned from his NHS role and left UK after the GMC action against him.“Due to the GMC action, I had to resign (from) my job and leave the UK. I don’t know how I can help with these proceedings now, as I am not working at present,” he said in another email.Chandran earned his MBBS degree from the University of Calicut Academy of Medical Sciences in Pariyaram, Kerala. He later told the GMC that he no longer wished to continue practising oncology and had started working with a friend in a private business while rebuilding his life.However, the tribunal said there was no evidence that he had accepted responsibility or taken steps to address his conduct.

Go to Source

Hot this week

Gurindervir Singh becomes first Indian to break 10.10s barrier in 100m race, creates new NR

Gurindervir Singh broke the men’s 100m national record with a stunning 10.09s run on a historic second day of the National Senior Federation Competition in Ranchi. He is the second-fastest racer in Asia so far this season. Read More

UK maritime agency warns of suspicious armed skiffs near Gulf of Aden shipping lanes

British maritime authorities issued a fresh security alert after multiple commercial vessels reported encounters with armed skiffs near key international shipping routes linked to the Red Sea and Bab al-Mandeb Strait. Read More

Zelenskyy warns Russia preparing hypersonic ‘Oreshnik’ missile strike on Kyiv

The Ukrainian president said intelligence inputs from Kyiv’s Western allies pointed to preparations for a large-scale Russian assault involving advanced long-range weapon systems. Read More

Hyderabad Lawyer Dies After Being Hit By SUV, Asaduddin Owaisi Demands Probe

AIMIM chief Asaduddin Owaisi condemns lawyer Khaza Moizuddin’s death in Hyderabad SUV attack, alleges targeting over waqf cases. Read More

‘Just a normal Friday for an Iranian’: US founder says her wedding in Turkiye got called off

Iranian-origin founder Kiana Ehsani reacts to the new Green Card rule. Iranian-origin US founder Kiana Ehsani reacted to the new Green Card rules and shared a heartbreaking update on her life. Read More

Topics

Gurindervir Singh becomes first Indian to break 10.10s barrier in 100m race, creates new NR

Gurindervir Singh broke the men’s 100m national record with a stunning 10.09s run on a historic second day of the National Senior Federation Competition in Ranchi. He is the second-fastest racer in Asia so far this season. Read More

UK maritime agency warns of suspicious armed skiffs near Gulf of Aden shipping lanes

British maritime authorities issued a fresh security alert after multiple commercial vessels reported encounters with armed skiffs near key international shipping routes linked to the Red Sea and Bab al-Mandeb Strait. Read More

Zelenskyy warns Russia preparing hypersonic ‘Oreshnik’ missile strike on Kyiv

The Ukrainian president said intelligence inputs from Kyiv’s Western allies pointed to preparations for a large-scale Russian assault involving advanced long-range weapon systems. Read More

Hyderabad Lawyer Dies After Being Hit By SUV, Asaduddin Owaisi Demands Probe

AIMIM chief Asaduddin Owaisi condemns lawyer Khaza Moizuddin’s death in Hyderabad SUV attack, alleges targeting over waqf cases. Read More

‘Just a normal Friday for an Iranian’: US founder says her wedding in Turkiye got called off

Iranian-origin founder Kiana Ehsani reacts to the new Green Card rule. Iranian-origin US founder Kiana Ehsani reacted to the new Green Card rules and shared a heartbreaking update on her life. Read More

‘No Deal Without Cash’: Asim Munir Leaves Tehran Empty-Handed As Iran Demands US Compensation | Exclusive Details

The insistence on financial compensation aligns directly with Iran’s controversial establishment of the Persian Gulf Strait Authority (PGSA) Go to Source Read More

Will Trump Resume Strikes Against Iran? US President To Reveal Major Decision Within 24 Hours

Trump says he would review Iran’s peace proposal, may decide by Sunday on resuming military action, calling chances of a deal “50/50. Read More

SC takes suo motu cognisance of Twisha Sharma death case; CJI-led bench to hear matter Monday

NEW DELHI: The Supreme Court on Saturday took suo motu cognisance of the Twisha Sharma death case. A bench headed by Chief Justice of India Surya Kant is likely to consider the matter on Monday, news agency ANI reported. Read More

Related Articles