Saturday, May 23, 2026
39.1 C
New Delhi

From Vaping Row To Middle-Finger Drama: IPL 2026’s Five Biggest Controversies

Indian Premier League 2026 began nearly two months ago and is now heading toward its grand finale, scheduled to take place in Ahmedabad on May 31.

Throughout the season, fans witnessed record-breaking performances, massive totals, and thrilling run chases. But alongside the cricketing action, IPL 2026 also generated headlines for several controversial incidents.

Here’s a look at five of the biggest controversies of the season so far.

Riyan Parag’s vaping controversy

During the April 28 clash between Rajasthan Royals and Punjab Kings, cameras briefly focused on the Rajasthan dressing room, where skipper Riyan Parag was allegedly seen using an e-cigarette. Since smoking and vaping are prohibited during IPL matches, the incident sparked major debate. Parag was later fined 25 percent of his match fee and received one demerit point.

Angkrish Raghuvanshi’s controversial run-out

A heated controversy erupted during the match between Kolkata Knight Riders and Lucknow Super Giants when Angkrish Raghuvanshi was adjudged run-out. While attempting to return to his crease after being sent back by his partner, a throw struck his leg before the fielding side appealed. The third umpire ruled him out, stating that he had changed his running line while trying to get back. The decision led to animated discussions on the field and divided opinions among fans and experts.

Jason Holder’s disputed catch

Another talking point emerged when Jason Holder completed a catch to dismiss Rajat Patidar. While the batter was given out, many supporters of Royal Challengers Bangalore questioned whether Holder had fully controlled the catch. Some fans argued that the ball may have brushed the ground during the attempt, making the dismissal highly controversial.

Tim David fined for middle-finger gesture

During the high-voltage clash between RCB and Mumbai Indians, Tim David was caught on camera making a middle-finger gesture toward the Mumbai dugout. The clip quickly went viral across social media platforms. The BCCI deemed the act inappropriate and penalised David with a 30 percent fine on his match fee along with two demerit points.

Rajasthan Royals dugout phone controversy

A separate controversy involving Rajasthan Royals surfaced when team manager Romi Bhinder was allegedly seen using a mobile phone inside the dugout – something prohibited under IPL regulations. The matter gained further attention after an image of youngster Vaibhav Suryavanshi looking at the phone circulated widely online. While team officials are allowed to keep phones in the dressing room, carrying them into the dugout is not permitted.

Go to Source

Hot this week

No place for women in Trump’s Cabinet? Tulsi Gabbard is the latest casualty

Tulsi Gabbard on Friday (May 22) said she is resigning as the US Director of National Intelligence, citing her husband’s recent diagnosis of an extremely rare bone cancer. She is the fourth Trump Cabinet member to depart this year — all were women. Read More

Iran mocks Trump with viral Bangladeshi buffalo video amid tensions with US

Iran mocked US President Donald Trump online by sharing a viral video of a Bangladeshi albino buffalo said to resemble him amid continuing tensions between Tehran and Washington Go to Source Read More

‘Take him home to mummy’: Trump mocks protesters and revives familiar attacks during New York rally

US President Donald Trump mixed economic messaging with attacks on Democrats, Biden and cultural issues during a rally in New York that was briefly disrupted by protesters, as he sought to energise Republican supporters ahead of the upcoming midterm Read More

‘Call Me Tyrant Or Dictator, But Not Dumb’: Trump Defends Mental Fitness

Trump’s remarks come amid continuing political debate in the United States over the age and mental fitness of senior leaders. Read More

Youth employment push: PM Modi distributes over 51,000 appointment letters at 19th Rozgar Mela

Image credit: ANI NEW DELHI: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Saturday distributed more than 51,000 appointment letters to newly inducted recruits at the 19th Rozgar Mela via video conferencing, as part of the government’s broad Read More

Topics

No place for women in Trump’s Cabinet? Tulsi Gabbard is the latest casualty

Tulsi Gabbard on Friday (May 22) said she is resigning as the US Director of National Intelligence, citing her husband’s recent diagnosis of an extremely rare bone cancer. She is the fourth Trump Cabinet member to depart this year — all were women. Read More

Iran mocks Trump with viral Bangladeshi buffalo video amid tensions with US

Iran mocked US President Donald Trump online by sharing a viral video of a Bangladeshi albino buffalo said to resemble him amid continuing tensions between Tehran and Washington Go to Source Read More

‘Take him home to mummy’: Trump mocks protesters and revives familiar attacks during New York rally

US President Donald Trump mixed economic messaging with attacks on Democrats, Biden and cultural issues during a rally in New York that was briefly disrupted by protesters, as he sought to energise Republican supporters ahead of the upcoming midterm Read More

‘Call Me Tyrant Or Dictator, But Not Dumb’: Trump Defends Mental Fitness

Trump’s remarks come amid continuing political debate in the United States over the age and mental fitness of senior leaders. Read More

Youth employment push: PM Modi distributes over 51,000 appointment letters at 19th Rozgar Mela

Image credit: ANI NEW DELHI: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Saturday distributed more than 51,000 appointment letters to newly inducted recruits at the 19th Rozgar Mela via video conferencing, as part of the government’s broad Read More

‘World Excited About India’s Youth, Wants To Join Nation’s Growth Journey’: PM Modi

PM Modi also underlined the growing importance of clean energy, green hydrogen, sustainable manufacturing and critical minerals in the global economy. Read More

10-Year-Old Girl Kidnapped, Murdered In Coimbatore While Going To Grocery Store; Family Stages Protest

The accused, identified as Karthik of Nagapattinam, 33, is a resident of Pallapalayam near Sulur. Read More

Ministries Get ‘Report Cards’ At PM Modi Meet; Best, Worst Performers Reviewed

Reports said the ministries of consumer affairs, coal, power and health performed strongly across various categories assessed during the review. Read More

Related Articles