Sunday, May 24, 2026
39.1 C
New Delhi

Iran War Updates: Trump Announces 2-Week Ceasefire Linked To Hormuz Reopening, Talks Gain Momentum

Show Quick Read

Key points generated by AI, verified by newsroom

Trump Announces Ceasefire Iran: In a significant development amid escalating tensions in West Asia, Donald Trump announced a temporary halt to a planned military offensive against Iran, offering a two-week window for diplomatic resolution. The decision comes as part of a potential ceasefire framework tied to the reopening of the strategically vital Strait of Hormuz.

The announcement was made through a social media post just over an hour before a previously set deadline for military action, marking a sudden shift from confrontation to conditional diplomacy.

Trump Agrees To Two-Week Ceasefire Over Hormuz Reopening

“I have decided to hold off on bombing and launching attacks against Iran for two weeks,” Trump wrote, indicating a pause in hostilities. He linked this decision directly to Tehran’s willingness to restore access through the Strait of Hormuz, a key global oil transit route.

He said: “This decision is contingent upon the Islamic Republic of Iran agreeing to the COMPLETE, IMMEDIATE, and SECURE reopening of the Strait of Hormuz. This will amount to a two-sided CEASEFIRE. The justification for this pause is that all military objectives have already been achieved, and we are well advanced in reaching a definitive Agreement for lasting PEACE with Iran and stability in the Middle East. Iran has submitted a ten-point plan, which we believe provides a workable foundation for negotiations.”

Pakistan’s Mediation Plays Key Role

Trump revealed that the decision followed discussions with Shehbaz Sharif and Asim Munir. He acknowledged their role in urging restraint and delaying the use of force.

In his message, Trump explained that after discussions with Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif and Field Marshal Asim Munir of Pakistan, and at their request that he delay the destructive force scheduled to be deployed tonight against Iran, and agrees to suspend the assault.

Progress Toward Broader Peace Agreement

Trump expressed optimism about ongoing negotiations, stating that most contentious issues between the United States and Iran have already been addressed. He suggested that the two-week pause would provide sufficient time to finalize a comprehensive agreement.

Further, Trump said that nearly all major points of disagreement between the United States and Iran have already been resolved, but this two-week interval will allow the Agreement to be finalized and signed. As President of the United States, and in representation of the nations of the Middle East, it is an honor to see this long-standing conflict nearing resolution.

The proposed agreement, anchored in Iran’s reported ten-point plan, is being viewed as a potential breakthrough in easing one of the region’s most persistent geopolitical rivalries.

Go to Source

Hot this week

‘Will Break Naval Blockade’: Iran Threantens Withdrawal From NPT If ‘Enemy’ Attacks On Hormuz

Iran warns it may quit NPT and break any naval blockade if the Strait of Hormuz is attacked, as Trump touts a near Iran peace deal and talks continue over sanctions and blockades. Read More

Congress Vs Congress: Manickam Tagore Slams Karnataka Govt’s Move On Mekedatu Reservoir

Congress MP Manickam Tagore opposed Karnataka’s move to implement the Mekedatu reservoir project, calling it a “direct assault” on Tamil Nadu’s riparian rights. Read More

11 Drown In River Near Karnataka’s Bhatkal, Siddaramaiah Announces Rs 5 Lakh Ex Gratia

The group had gone to the beach to collect shellfish when the tragedy occurred. CM Siddaramaiah, President Murmu and VP CP Radhakrishnan condoled the deaths. Read More

Erika Jayne settles USD 25 million bankruptcy lawsuit

Erika Jayne had been making headlines over a bankruptcy lawsuit, with one of the first trial hearings scheduled to take place in the coming days. Read More

Big B’s Sunday darshan outside Jalsa turns chaotic after fan faints

Megastar Amitabh Bachchan’s weekly Sunday darshan outside his Mumbai residence, Jalsa, witnessed a tense moment this weekend after a fan reportedly fainted amid the huge crowd gathered to see the actor. Read More

Topics

‘Will Break Naval Blockade’: Iran Threantens Withdrawal From NPT If ‘Enemy’ Attacks On Hormuz

Iran warns it may quit NPT and break any naval blockade if the Strait of Hormuz is attacked, as Trump touts a near Iran peace deal and talks continue over sanctions and blockades. Read More

Congress Vs Congress: Manickam Tagore Slams Karnataka Govt’s Move On Mekedatu Reservoir

Congress MP Manickam Tagore opposed Karnataka’s move to implement the Mekedatu reservoir project, calling it a “direct assault” on Tamil Nadu’s riparian rights. Read More

11 Drown In River Near Karnataka’s Bhatkal, Siddaramaiah Announces Rs 5 Lakh Ex Gratia

The group had gone to the beach to collect shellfish when the tragedy occurred. CM Siddaramaiah, President Murmu and VP CP Radhakrishnan condoled the deaths. Read More

Erika Jayne settles USD 25 million bankruptcy lawsuit

Erika Jayne had been making headlines over a bankruptcy lawsuit, with one of the first trial hearings scheduled to take place in the coming days. Read More

Big B’s Sunday darshan outside Jalsa turns chaotic after fan faints

Megastar Amitabh Bachchan’s weekly Sunday darshan outside his Mumbai residence, Jalsa, witnessed a tense moment this weekend after a fan reportedly fainted amid the huge crowd gathered to see the actor. Read More

Man City vs Aston Villa LIVE Score: Pep Guardiola makes final appearance at Etihad as Manchester City manager

Man City vs Aston Villa LIVE Score: Pep Guardiola had already confirmed his departure from Manchester City at the end of the ongoing season, and will be managing the seven-time Premier League champions one last time when they host Aston Villa at the Read More

Promised to return for dinner, never came back: Indian-origin man killed in NZ highway crash

Ramandeep Dhillon and his family often spent time outdoors An Indian-origin father of one has died after a tragic two-vehicle crash while working a late evening Uber shift in New Zealand, leaving his family devastated. Read More

India sends emergency medical aid to Africa amid growing Ebola outbreak concerns

WHO and Africa CDC have declared the Ebola situation in parts of Central and East Africa a major public health emergency, prompting heightened surveillance and travel advisories. Read More

Related Articles