Sunday, May 24, 2026
39.1 C
New Delhi

Volkswagen aims to make majority of its cars in China on new architecture by 2030

The companys goal is to build most of its cars in China on the software-driven new architecture called CEA by 2030.
The companys goal is to build most of its cars in China on the software-driven new architecture called CEA by 2030.

Volkswagen plans by 2030 to build most of ‍the vehicles it offers in ​China on its new electronic architecture platform developed with EV maker ⁠Xpeng, the company said.

The move is part of its efforts to win back the world’s largest auto market.

The architecture enables it to develop cars up to 30 per cent faster and 40 per cent ‌cheaper when compared ‌with using the German-developed MEB platform, thanks to centralised control units and increased in-house component production, company officials ‌said.

The company’s goal is to build “most of its cars” in China on the software-driven new architecture called China Electronic Architecture (CEA) by 2030, said Liu Ran, a spokesperson for Volkswagen Group China Technology, during a tour of a sprawling manufacturing hub in Hefei, eastern China.

The company has faced stiff competition in ​China, losing its top position to local rivals like BYD and Geely , ‌which have in ‍recent years rolled out new models – with smart features – at ‍a far faster pace.

In 2024, Volkswagen was overtaken by ‌BYD and last year, it slipped to third place with a 17.4 per cent drop in fourth-quarter sales.

Employees at the Hefei hub, which includes a CEA lab that employs about 850 engineers – mostly Chinese – said they had been given autonomy to make decisions as part of a shift and expressed hope that Volkswagen’s reputation in China for quality assurance and reliability could give it an ‍edge.

“We have completely optimised our system to accelerate and deliver according to Chinese speed and also according to Chinese customer wishes,” ‍said Finn Cemmasson, ⁠who leads a ⁠team of those working on the validation of the architecture’s integration with in-vehicle hardware.

Volkswagen has started production of its first China-built vehicle, the electric SUV called “ID. UNYX 07” on the CEA at the end of last year and plans to produce four more models this year, Volkswagen said.

Next year, it will add about 10 more models on the architecture, with some combustion-engine cars, it said.

Volkswagen’s collaboration with China’s Xpeng on the architecture ended last year, with development now handled by Volkswagen, Cemmasson said.

  • Published On Feb 5, 2026 at 02:39 PM IST

Join the community of 2M+ industry professionals.

Subscribe to Newsletter to get latest insights & analysis in your inbox.

All about ETAuto industry right on your smartphone!

Go to Source

Hot this week

‘Perhaps Iran will join Abraham Accords’: Trump says won’t rush deal, Iran talks proceeding constructively

Trump insisted that US would not rush into a final agreement with Tehran amid growing expectations of a possible deal. Read More

Falta repoll result 2026: BJP’s Debangshu Panda wins with nearly 1.5 lakh votes, TMC’s Jahangir Khan restricted to 7k

Falta assembly constituency Bharatiya Janata Party candidate Debangshu Panda won the repoll in Falta by a massive margin of 1,09,021 votes, defeating Communist Party of India (Marxist) candidate Sambhu Nath Kurmi. Read More

NTA Postpones May 28 CUET-UG Exam Over Eid Holiday Change, New Date To Be Out Soon

NTA said the tests planned for both shifts on May 28 stand postponed in view of the updated holiday issued by the Government of India. Read More

India–US Boost Strategic Ties in Hyderabad House Talks on Trade, Defence & Security Cooperation

In a pivotal meeting at Hyderabad House, India and the U.S. advanced their strategic partnership, focusing on trade, defense, and counter-terrorism. External Affairs Minister Dr. S. J. Shankar and U.S. Read More

India–US Boost Strategic Ties in Hyderabad House Talks on Trade, Defence & Security Cooperation

In a pivotal meeting at Hyderabad House, India and the U.S. advanced their strategic partnership, focusing on trade, defense, and counter-terrorism. External Affairs Minister Dr. S. J. Shankar and U.S. Read More

Topics

‘Perhaps Iran will join Abraham Accords’: Trump says won’t rush deal, Iran talks proceeding constructively

Trump insisted that US would not rush into a final agreement with Tehran amid growing expectations of a possible deal. Read More

Falta repoll result 2026: BJP’s Debangshu Panda wins with nearly 1.5 lakh votes, TMC’s Jahangir Khan restricted to 7k

Falta assembly constituency Bharatiya Janata Party candidate Debangshu Panda won the repoll in Falta by a massive margin of 1,09,021 votes, defeating Communist Party of India (Marxist) candidate Sambhu Nath Kurmi. Read More

NTA Postpones May 28 CUET-UG Exam Over Eid Holiday Change, New Date To Be Out Soon

NTA said the tests planned for both shifts on May 28 stand postponed in view of the updated holiday issued by the Government of India. Read More

India–US Boost Strategic Ties in Hyderabad House Talks on Trade, Defence & Security Cooperation

In a pivotal meeting at Hyderabad House, India and the U.S. advanced their strategic partnership, focusing on trade, defense, and counter-terrorism. External Affairs Minister Dr. S. J. Shankar and U.S. Read More

India–US Boost Strategic Ties in Hyderabad House Talks on Trade, Defence & Security Cooperation

In a pivotal meeting at Hyderabad House, India and the U.S. advanced their strategic partnership, focusing on trade, defense, and counter-terrorism. External Affairs Minister Dr. S. J. Shankar and U.S. Read More

Brendan Wayne talks about ‘The Mandalorian and Grogu’

‘The Mandalorian and Grogu’ star Brendan Wayne is following in his grandfather John Wayne’s footsteps with his ‘Star Wars’ character. Read More

‘Will Break Naval Blockade’: Iran Threantens Withdrawal From NPT If ‘Enemy’ Attacks On Hormuz

Iran warns it may quit NPT and break any naval blockade if the Strait of Hormuz is attacked, as Trump touts a near Iran peace deal and talks continue over sanctions and blockades. Read More

Congress Vs Congress: Manickam Tagore Slams Karnataka Govt’s Move On Mekedatu Reservoir

Congress MP Manickam Tagore opposed Karnataka’s move to implement the Mekedatu reservoir project, calling it a “direct assault” on Tamil Nadu’s riparian rights. Read More

Related Articles