Sunday, February 22, 2026
19.1 C
New Delhi

‘We couldn’t afford it’: Jannik Sinner reveals why he planned to quit tennis at age 23

Jannik Sinner revealed he once planned to quit tennis by age 23 due to a promise he made to his parents. Now at 24, the Italian has already won three Grand Slams, reached World No.1, and is set to defend his US Open crown.

Jannik Sinner has revealed that his tennis journey could have ended much earlier if things did not go his way. Speaking ahead of the US Open 2025, the Italian said he had a plan to quit tennis if he was not ranked inside the top 200 by the age of 23 or 24. Sinner turned 24 recently and has already won three Grand Slams and achieved a World No. 1 ranking.

STORY CONTINUES BELOW THIS AD

Sinner explained that his family could not afford the high costs of traveling to tournaments and paying for a coach, which is why he had planned to quit tennis. However, Sinner started earning money when he was just 18, which gave him confidence and belief to continue. So far, Sinner has earned $46,279,987 (over Rs 400 crore) in prize money alone.

“I told my parents when I left home that if I wasn’t in the top 200 at 23 or 24, I would quit, because we couldn’t afford it with the money we had. Traveling to tournaments costs a lot. If you have a coach, it’s even more so. I was very lucky because I started earning money at 18, and that’s when I felt more confident . When you’re young, you just talk about a dream. You don’t even really believe it,” Sinner said at the press conference ahead of US Open.

“Sometimes I said, ‘I want to become world No 1, or win a Grand Slam’. But those were just dreams. The position I’m in today was way beyond my dreams . Now it’s different. Now I understand my potential. I understand that if I play well, I can win tournaments. The perspective is different. But if you ask me when I was young, my dream was just to break into the top 100. That would have been my happiness. Everything that came after that is a huge bonus,” he added.

Two of Sinner’s three Grand Slam wins have come this year, with titles at the Australian Open and Wimbledon. In between those triumphs, he faced a three-month suspension after accidentally taking a banned substance. Sinner will start his US Open title defence against Vit Kopriva of the Czech Republic on August 25.  

STORY CONTINUES BELOW THIS AD

End of Article

Go to Source

Hot this week

Five Police Personnel Killed As Speeding Trailer Rams Bolero In Odisha

Police have detained the trailer driver for questioning and launched an investigation to determine the exact cause of the crash. Read More

India Playing XI vs South Africa: Not Abhishek Sharma – Surprise Exclusion On Cards

India Playing XI for India vs South Africa Super 8 match:The cricketing world shifts its focus to the majestic Narendra Modi Stadium today as ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2026 enters its most intense phase. Read More

Kuwait intensifies nationwide security crackdown: Drugs, crime, illegal businesses targeted

Kuwait’s Crime Surge: What’s Behind the Intensified Security Crackdown? Read More

‘They bombed innocent civilians’: Afghanistan vows response after Pak strikes kill dozens, hit madrasa during Ramzan

Pakistan launched intelligence-based airstrikes on militant camps inside Afghanistan, citing conclusive evidence linking TTP fighters to recent suicide attacks and warning it will act to protect national security Go to Source Read More

US CEO Says She’ll Miss ‘Fruit That Tastes Like Fruit’ After Delhi Visit, Sparks Online Debate

Sara Hooker, co-founder and chief executive of Adaptation, attended the summit and later shared her thoughts about the city on X. Read More

Topics

Five Police Personnel Killed As Speeding Trailer Rams Bolero In Odisha

Police have detained the trailer driver for questioning and launched an investigation to determine the exact cause of the crash. Read More

India Playing XI vs South Africa: Not Abhishek Sharma – Surprise Exclusion On Cards

India Playing XI for India vs South Africa Super 8 match:The cricketing world shifts its focus to the majestic Narendra Modi Stadium today as ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2026 enters its most intense phase. Read More

Kuwait intensifies nationwide security crackdown: Drugs, crime, illegal businesses targeted

Kuwait’s Crime Surge: What’s Behind the Intensified Security Crackdown? Read More

‘They bombed innocent civilians’: Afghanistan vows response after Pak strikes kill dozens, hit madrasa during Ramzan

Pakistan launched intelligence-based airstrikes on militant camps inside Afghanistan, citing conclusive evidence linking TTP fighters to recent suicide attacks and warning it will act to protect national security Go to Source Read More

US CEO Says She’ll Miss ‘Fruit That Tastes Like Fruit’ After Delhi Visit, Sparks Online Debate

Sara Hooker, co-founder and chief executive of Adaptation, attended the summit and later shared her thoughts about the city on X. Read More

T20 World Cup 2026: Super 8 Schedule For February 22 & Live Streaming Details

T20 World Cup 2026 Super 8 Schedule, Live Streaming for February 22: ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2026 moves into a critical double-header today, Sunday, February 22, as the Super 8 stage intensifies. Read More

Iranian Students Take To The Streets In Bold Anti-Government Protests

Iranian students took to the streets of major universities on Saturday, clashing with counter-protesters and chanting bold anti-government slogans, signaling renewed unrest against the country’s clerical leadership. Read More

ISL crisis averted after Kerala Blasters locked out of home ground hours before Mumbai City clash

Kerala Blasters FC avoided a last-minute stadium crisis ahead of their ISL clash against Mumbai City FC on Sunday. Read More

Related Articles