Friday, February 20, 2026
24.1 C
New Delhi

Controversial boxer Imane Khelif refutes retirement rumours, but skips World Championships as sex test is made mandatory

Paris Olympics gold medallist Imane Khelif has refuted the rumours of her retirement, but she will not be taking part in the World Boxing Championships 2025, which has made a sex test mandatory for women’s boxers.

Paris Olympics gold medallist boxer, Imane Khelif, who has often found herself in the middle of controversy regarding her gender, has refuted retirement rumours that started after an interview given by her former manager. Kehlif’s former manager, Nasser Yesfah, sparked her retirement rumours after he stated in an interview that the Algerian boxer has “left the world of boxing.”

Yesfah later clarified that he was talking about Khelif leaving the Nice Azur club, but the retirement rumours had already started spreading like wildfire.

STORY CONTINUES BELOW THIS AD

Khelif slams rumours about her retirement

Taking note of the social media chatter, the 26-year-old boxer accused Yesfah of betraying her trust and Alegria’s, as she clarified that she refuted the retirement news.

“It is based solely on statements made by a person who no longer represents me in any way, and whom I consider to have betrayed my trust and my country with his false and malicious statements,” Khelif wrote on social media.

“I have never announced my retirement from boxing. I remain committed to my sporting career, training regularly and maintaining my physical fitness between Algeria and Qatar in preparation for upcoming events.”

However, Khelif has not fought officially since winning the women’s 66 kg boxing gold at the Paris Olympics after her participation sparked a gender row. Khelif was disqualified from the International Boxing Association (IBA) organised 2023 World Championships after she allegedly failed to meet gender-eligibility criteria.

The International Olympic Committee, however, allowed her to take part in the Paris Olympics based on her passport and residency as a woman in Algeria, while it also suspended the world boxing body IBA for corruption and lack of transparency.

Kehlif was expected to take part in the World Championships in Liverpool next month, but she has not registered her name for the event. The new governing body, World Boxing, had this week said that women boxers will have to undergo mandatory sex testing, as part of its new eligibility policy.

STORY CONTINUES BELOW THIS AD

Khelif pulls out of World C’ships where sex test is made mandatory

The 26-year-old has repeatedly said she was born a woman and in March said she would defend her title at the 2028 Los Angeles Games.

Also Read | Imane Khelif, Olympic gold medallist, identified as ‘man’ with internal testicles in leaked report

The boxer in the women’s category will have to undergo a PCR (polymerase chain reaction) or functional medical equivalent genetic screening test to confirm their eligibility. These tests can be conducted by nasal/mouth swab, saliva or blood.

Athletes who will be considered male at birth, as identified by the presence of Y chromosome material (the SRY gene) or with a difference of sexual development (DSD) involving male androgenization, will be eligible to compete in the men’s category.

While Khelif has pulled out, Taiwan’s Lin Yu-ting, who was also at the centre of the gender-eligibility dispute at the Paris Games, is set to take part in the World Championships.

“Lin Yu-ting just returned from training in South Korea and we are waiting for notification from the Taiwan boxing governing body for sign-up details while preparing for the 2025 Boxing World Championships,” her coach Tseng Tzu-chiang told Reuters.

STORY CONTINUES BELOW THIS AD

“She has not considered withdrawing from the competition because of the new gender tests. We will submit all the relevant documents requested by the organisers, as part of normal procedures.”

Kehlif has repeatedly in the past said that she was born a woman and that she would defend her Olympic gold medal at the 2028 Los Angeles Games.

End of Article

Go to Source

Hot this week

India vs Pakistan T20 World Cup Match, Despite ‘Boycott Drama’, Sets Historic Viewership Records

Show Quick Read Key points generated by AI, verified by newsroom The pre-tournament “boycott drama” surrounding India vs Pakistan clash at the T20 World Cup 2026 appears to have inadvertently fueled a massive surge in global i Read More

Deep Dive | India’s AI Moment: The $200-Billion AI Bet That Could Redefine Global Tech Power

Show Quick Read Key points generated by AI, verified by newsroom By Vipul Prakash The AI Impact Summit 2026 in New Delhi represents a major geopolitical and strategic shift regarding the technological landscape globally. Read More

13 minutes that changed global connectivity: Remembering India as birthplace of international airmail in 1911

Exactly 115 years ago, on a crisp February morning, 23yearold Frenchman Henri Pequet climbed into the open cockpit of a fragile Humber biplane. Read More

F-35s, F-22s and more: The airpower US is deploying to West Asia amid rising Iran tensions

The US is deploying advanced fighter jets, aircraft carriers and missile defences across West Asia as tensions with Iran rise and nuclear talks stall in Geneva. Read More

India-US trade deal in last lap, Goyal says pact likely to get operational in April

Piyush Goyal said an interim trade agreement between India and the US is likely to be signed in March and implemented in April, alongside new trade pacts with the United Kingdom and Oman. Read More

Topics

India vs Pakistan T20 World Cup Match, Despite ‘Boycott Drama’, Sets Historic Viewership Records

Show Quick Read Key points generated by AI, verified by newsroom The pre-tournament “boycott drama” surrounding India vs Pakistan clash at the T20 World Cup 2026 appears to have inadvertently fueled a massive surge in global i Read More

Deep Dive | India’s AI Moment: The $200-Billion AI Bet That Could Redefine Global Tech Power

Show Quick Read Key points generated by AI, verified by newsroom By Vipul Prakash The AI Impact Summit 2026 in New Delhi represents a major geopolitical and strategic shift regarding the technological landscape globally. Read More

13 minutes that changed global connectivity: Remembering India as birthplace of international airmail in 1911

Exactly 115 years ago, on a crisp February morning, 23yearold Frenchman Henri Pequet climbed into the open cockpit of a fragile Humber biplane. Read More

F-35s, F-22s and more: The airpower US is deploying to West Asia amid rising Iran tensions

The US is deploying advanced fighter jets, aircraft carriers and missile defences across West Asia as tensions with Iran rise and nuclear talks stall in Geneva. Read More

India-US trade deal in last lap, Goyal says pact likely to get operational in April

Piyush Goyal said an interim trade agreement between India and the US is likely to be signed in March and implemented in April, alongside new trade pacts with the United Kingdom and Oman. Read More

Turkey detains Germany’s DW’s journalist for ‘insulting’ Erdogan

Turkish authorities have detained a veteran correspondent of German statebacked international broadcaster Deutsche Welle in Ankara, accusing him of “disseminating misleading information” and “insulting the president”. Read More

India’s Legendary Iftar Food Streets You Must Visit This Ramadan

From Mumbai’s smoky grills to Lucknow’s Awadhi delicacies, explore the flavours, traditions, and festive energy that make these culinary hubs unforgettable. Read More

Kerala elections: Won’t contest upcoming polls, says MLA K Babu

MLA K Babu KOCHI: Senior Congress leader and Tripunithura MLA K Babu on Thursday announced his decision to step down from electoral politics, confirming he will not contest the upcoming assembly elections. Read More

Related Articles