Tuesday, February 17, 2026
19.1 C
New Delhi

‘Virtual Gang Rape’: Italian Facebook Group Sharing Women’s Intimate Images Sparks Outrage

Curated By :

Last Updated:

Earlier this year, Meta faced criticism for relaxing some of its content moderation policies, a move aimed at appeasing the Trump administration.

Click to add News18 as a preferred source on Google
font

The scandal also resurfaced public memory of the French case of Gisèle Pelicot

The scandal also resurfaced public memory of the French case of Gisèle Pelicot

A Facebook group has triggered nationwide outrage in Italy after it was discovered sharing intimate images of women without their consent. The page, titled “Mia Moglie” (My Wife), had amassed more than 32,000 members, according to The Financial Times. The Meta-owned platform has since shut the group down following public outcry over its exploitative content.

According to reports, members of the group had been posting explicit photos of their partners, or impersonating women by sharing fabricated intimate images, without obtaining consent. The group had been active since 2019, but Meta told The Financial Times that it remained dormant until May 2025. In the last three months, however, it began hosting explicit content, directly violating Meta’s policies on adult sexual exploitation.

Recommended Stories

A Meta spokesperson confirmed on Wednesday that the group was removed for “violating our Adult Sexual Exploitation policies.”

Earlier this year, Meta faced criticism for relaxing some of its content moderation policies, a move aimed at appeasing the Trump administration. The decision was made despite repeated calls from civil rights organisations to increase oversight of harmful and exploitative online content.

The controversy surrounding the Mia Moglie group has sparked widespread anger across Italy, raising serious concerns about digital gender-based violence and online privacy. It also comes amid growing criticism of how social media platforms handle abusive content, particularly that which targets women.

Beyond the digital realm, the incident has intensified focus on gender dynamics in Italian society. According to Vox, the scandal highlights the prevalence of misogyny online, particularly hate directed at women’s appearances. In response, opposition lawmakers have increased pressure on the right-wing government led by Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni to take stronger action.

The Five Star Movement condemned the incident and called on the government to fight “an unacceptable patriarchal mentality that reduces women to objects and instruments of possession.”

Similarly, Roberta Mori from the Democratic Party called the Facebook group “another example of structural digital violence rooted in the same patriarchal culture of domination.”

The scandal also resurfaced public memory of the French case of Gisèle Pelicot, who was raped for years by her husband and his male friends, illustrating disturbing parallels in digital and physical abuse.

Feminist influencer Carolina Capria helped bring attention to the issue by publicly denouncing the group in a viral Instagram post on Tuesday. Capria told The Financial Times that such actions amounted to “virtual gang rape.” Her post prompted thousands of users to report the group to authorities.

Italy’s Postal Police, the national cybercrime unit, received around 2,800 complaints, some from alleged victims themselves. Authorities are now investigating potential criminal offences, including revenge porn, privacy violations, aggravated defamation, and child pornography. If convicted, perpetrators could face up to six years in prison.

The Italian law allows individuals affected by revenge porn a period of six months to file formal charges.

News world ‘Virtual Gang Rape’: Italian Facebook Group Sharing Women’s Intimate Images Sparks Outrage
Disclaimer: Comments reflect users’ views, not News18’s. Please keep discussions respectful and constructive. Abusive, defamatory, or illegal comments will be removed. News18 may disable any comment at its discretion. By posting, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

Loading comments…

Read More

Go to Source

Hot this week

Dallas becoming ‘Dallaspuram’: Indian festival video from Texas resurfaces amid H-1B visa row, MAGA responds

A viral social media post claiming Dallas is being turned into “Dallaspuram” has stirred a row over immigration and H1B visas after old festival footage resurfaced online. Read More

Did Kai Cenat unfollow Ray on Instagram? Social media move sparks fan speculation online

Kai Cenat (Image Via Getty) Rumors about Kai Cenat and Ray started spreading fast after social media posts claimed the popular streamer had unfollowed his friend and removed him from the Clover Boyz group. Read More

Amid Nuclear Talks, Iran Signals Openness To Verification As US Military Build-Up Heightens Tensions

Tehran’s verification signal comes as negotiators agree on guiding principles while Washington increases military pressure in the region. Read More

Top Trump aide Tricia McLaughlin to leave DHS — Has Trump’s immigration crackdown gone too far?

One of the most outspoken faces of Donald Trump’s immigration crackdown is stepping down, raising questions about internal rift in the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). Read More

NGT nod thwarted Gandhis’ bid to stall Nicobar plan: BJP

Great Nicobar project NEW DELHI: BJP on Tuesday sharply criticised Sonia Gandhi and Rahul Gandhi over their opposition to the Great Nicobar island infrastructure project, accusing them of going to great lengths to derail it. Read More

Topics

Dallas becoming ‘Dallaspuram’: Indian festival video from Texas resurfaces amid H-1B visa row, MAGA responds

A viral social media post claiming Dallas is being turned into “Dallaspuram” has stirred a row over immigration and H1B visas after old festival footage resurfaced online. Read More

Did Kai Cenat unfollow Ray on Instagram? Social media move sparks fan speculation online

Kai Cenat (Image Via Getty) Rumors about Kai Cenat and Ray started spreading fast after social media posts claimed the popular streamer had unfollowed his friend and removed him from the Clover Boyz group. Read More

Amid Nuclear Talks, Iran Signals Openness To Verification As US Military Build-Up Heightens Tensions

Tehran’s verification signal comes as negotiators agree on guiding principles while Washington increases military pressure in the region. Read More

Top Trump aide Tricia McLaughlin to leave DHS — Has Trump’s immigration crackdown gone too far?

One of the most outspoken faces of Donald Trump’s immigration crackdown is stepping down, raising questions about internal rift in the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). Read More

NGT nod thwarted Gandhis’ bid to stall Nicobar plan: BJP

Great Nicobar project NEW DELHI: BJP on Tuesday sharply criticised Sonia Gandhi and Rahul Gandhi over their opposition to the Great Nicobar island infrastructure project, accusing them of going to great lengths to derail it. Read More

Maharashtra ATS busts soccer club front for radicalisation

Maharashtra ATS NAGPUR: Maharashtra Anti-Terrorist Squad (ATS) Sunday raided 21 locations across multiple districts and busted an alleged radicalisation network operating under the garb of a soccer club. Read More

Macron extends invite to Modi to attend G7 summit

French President Emmanuel Macron is in Mumbai for talks with Prime Minister Narendra Modi. Defence, artificial intelligence, and critical minerals are key topics. Read More

‘Raise India-made component’ in Rafale deal: Rajnath to France

Bengaluru: Defence minister Rajnath Singh with French counterpart Catherine Vautrin during the 6th India-France Annual Defence Dialogue, in Bengaluru. Read More

Related Articles