Monday, May 18, 2026
33.1 C
New Delhi

Iran unrest: Governor’s office attacked as protests turn violent; video

Iran unrest: Governor’s office attacked as protests turn violent; video

(Photos taken from X)

Iranian authorities say a government building was attacked in the southern city of Fasa amid a wave of protests driven by mounting economic pressure, while officials insist the unrest remains limited and under control.According to the justice ministry’s Mizan news agency, several people damaged parts of the provincial governor’s office on Wednesday. Hamed Ostovar, head of Fasa’s judiciary, said “a portion of the governor’s office door and its glass were destroyed in an attack by a number of people”, adding that four suspects were arrested after police intervened. He said three police officers were injured and rejected reports circulating online that a protester had been killed, calling such claims “a rumour”. The incident comes after several days of protests sparked by anger over soaring prices, currency depreciation and economic stagnation. Demonstrations began on Sunday in Tehran’s largest mobile phone market, where shopkeepers shut their businesses in protest, before spreading to students at universities in the capital and other cities, including Isfahan, Yazd and Zanjan. While protests have continued, they have remained relatively small and largely confined to central Tehran. Prosecutor General Mohammad Movahedi-Azad said economic protests were “legitimate” but warned that any attempt to create insecurity or damage public property would face a “decisive” legal response. His comments followed online messages from Israel’s Mossad intelligence agency encouraging Iranians to take to the streets, which Iranian officials cited as evidence of foreign interference.Iran’s economy has been under severe strain for years due to US and international sanctions linked to its nuclear programme. The rial has lost more than a third of its value over the past year, pushing up import costs and squeezing retailers. Inflation officially stood above 50 per cent in December.In Tehran, security forces were deployed around key intersections and universities, with water cannon vehicles seen on major streets. Authorities also announced a last-minute bank and school holiday, citing cold weather and energy savings. President Masoud Pezeshkian said he had asked officials to engage in dialogue with protesters over their “legitimate demands”, while warning against efforts to exploit the unrest.

Go to Source

Hot this week

Riot Games removes Arcane song “Remember Me” featuring D4vd amid first-degree murder case

Getty Images Riot Games has reportedly removed the Arcane soundtrack song “Remember Me” from some of its official music platforms following the criminal case involving D4vd. Read More

Trump says he called off new Iran attack at request of Gulf states

The US president says he is holding off on a US attack planned for Tuesday as “serious negotiations are now taking place”. Read More

Topics

Riot Games removes Arcane song “Remember Me” featuring D4vd amid first-degree murder case

Getty Images Riot Games has reportedly removed the Arcane soundtrack song “Remember Me” from some of its official music platforms following the criminal case involving D4vd. Read More

Trump says he called off new Iran attack at request of Gulf states

The US president says he is holding off on a US attack planned for Tuesday as “serious negotiations are now taking place”. Read More

Judicial panel submits report on judge Varma

. NEW DELHI: The three-member committee headed by SC judge Aravind Kumar, which was looking into allegations of corruption against Allahabad HC judge Yashwant Varma, submitted its report to LS Speaker Om Birla Monday. Read More

West Bengal Govt Grants ED Sanction To Prosecute Ex-RG Kar Principal Sandip Ghosh

West Bengal govt allows ED to prosecute former RG Kar principal Sandip Ghosh over alleged financial irregularities and money laundering linked to the Abhaya rape murder case. Read More

Trump holds off strikes on Iran planned for Tuesday at Arab leaders’ request

Washington, May 19 (PTI): US President Donald Trump has said he was holding up fresh strikes at Iran at the request of Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the UAE. Read More

Related Articles