Monday, May 18, 2026
37.1 C
New Delhi

Shooter Among 3 Dead, Children Injured In Shooting At US’s Minneapolis Catholic School

A shooting at Annunciation Catholic School in Minneapolis left at least five children injured on Wednesday, during the very first week of the new academic session, according to authorities and hospital officials. Minnesota Governor Tim Walz described the violence as “horrific”.

Three people have died while 20 are injured, a US Justice Department official said. The shooter was among those killed, the official told news agency Reuters.

The Minneapolis city government confirmed that the shooter was “contained” following the incident and assured that there was no longer any “active threat” to residents.

Governor Walz said in a post on X that he had been updated on the situation. “I’m praying for our kids and teachers whose first week of school was marred by this horrific act of violence,” he wrote.

US President Donald Trump wrote on Truth Social, “I have been fully briefed on the tragic shooting in Minneapolis, Minnesota. The FBI quickly responded and they are on the scene. The White House will continue to monitor this terrible situation. Please join me in praying for everyone involved!”

Children treated in trauma centres

Children’s Minnesota, a major paediatric trauma hospital, reported that five children had been admitted for medical attention. Hennepin Healthcare, which runs the state’s largest emergency department, stated it was also caring for patients linked to the shooting, AP reported.

As law enforcement, including the FBI and other federal agencies, secured the scene and ambulances transported the wounded, President Donald Trump noted in a Truth Social post that he had been briefed on the “tragic shooting” and said the White House would continue monitoring the developments.

Families directed to reunification zone

Authorities evacuated the school, and families were instructed to gather at a designated “reunification zone” to collect their children. Annunciation Catholic School, founded in 1923 and catering to pre-kindergarten through eighth grade, had been scheduled to hold an all-school Mass at 8:15 a.m. on Wednesday, as listed on its website. The academic year had only commenced on Monday.

Recent social media updates from the school showed students engaged in back-to-school activities — smiling for photos, showcasing summer art, playing together and enjoying ice pops.

At a Democratic officials’ meeting elsewhere in Minneapolis, Democratic National Committee Chair Ken Martin referred to the incident, noting that there was an “unknown amount of victims.”

Minneapolis reels from consecutive shootings

The school tragedy came amid a spate of shootings in Minneapolis within a 24-hour span. On Tuesday afternoon, gunfire outside a city high school killed one person and left six others injured. Hours later, two more individuals were killed in separate incidents.

Wednesday’s school shooting also followed a wave of hoax emergency calls about alleged shootings on more than a dozen U.S. college campuses. These false alarms, sometimes accompanied by recorded gunfire sounds, prompted universities to issue urgent alerts advising students to “run, hide, fight,” spreading fear at the start of the academic year.

Go to Source

Hot this week

YouTuber Markiplier reveals when fans can watch Iron Lung at home after box office success

Getty Images YouTuber Markiplier has finally shared when fans will be able to watch his horror movie Iron Lung at home after its successful run in theaters. Read More

’20 students got visas denied in front of me’: Indian man reveals the ‘most dreaded’ question officer asks during interview

Ahmedabad’s Hari Krishna Trivedi reveals F-1 visa interview details at Mumbai consulate. Read More

Salman says mom got worried after his ‘alone and lonely’ post

Salman Khan recently left fans worried after sharing a cryptic note on loneliness on social media. The superstar’s post quickly went viral, with many netizens speculating if something was bothering him personally. Read More

Woman falls off terrace at in-laws’ house in Greater Noida; family alleges dowry harassment

Noida, May 18 (PTI): A 24-year-old woman died allegedly after falling from the terrace of her three-storey matrimonial house in Uttar Pradesh’s Gautam Buddh Nagar district amid harassment by her in-laws over dowry, police here said on Monday. Read More

Cash recovery row: Inquiry committee submits report on Justice Yashwant Varma to LS speaker

New Delhi, May 18 (PTI): The Judges Inquiry Committee investigating allegations against Justice Yashwant Varma — against whom impeachment proceedings were initiated over the alleged discovery of unaccounted cash from his official residence  Read More

Topics

YouTuber Markiplier reveals when fans can watch Iron Lung at home after box office success

Getty Images YouTuber Markiplier has finally shared when fans will be able to watch his horror movie Iron Lung at home after its successful run in theaters. Read More

Salman says mom got worried after his ‘alone and lonely’ post

Salman Khan recently left fans worried after sharing a cryptic note on loneliness on social media. The superstar’s post quickly went viral, with many netizens speculating if something was bothering him personally. Read More

Woman falls off terrace at in-laws’ house in Greater Noida; family alleges dowry harassment

Noida, May 18 (PTI): A 24-year-old woman died allegedly after falling from the terrace of her three-storey matrimonial house in Uttar Pradesh’s Gautam Buddh Nagar district amid harassment by her in-laws over dowry, police here said on Monday. Read More

Cash recovery row: Inquiry committee submits report on Justice Yashwant Varma to LS speaker

New Delhi, May 18 (PTI): The Judges Inquiry Committee investigating allegations against Justice Yashwant Varma — against whom impeachment proceedings were initiated over the alleged discovery of unaccounted cash from his official residence  Read More

GM Aravindh Chithambaram becomes first Indian chess player to qualify for 2026 Esports World Cup

Indian Grandmaster Aravindh Chitambaram, representing Mumbai-based esports organisation S8UL, secured his place at the Esports World Cup by winning the DreamHack Atlanta. Read More

Vinesh Phogat denied last-minute reprieve for Asian Games Trials by High Court: ‘How can we grant relief’

The Delhi High Court on Monday denied immediate relief to Vinesh Phogat, who sought permission to compete in the Asian Games selection trials later this month. Read More

Deepika Kumari, Atanu Das left out as India’s Asian Games archery squad undergoes major overhaul

Deepika Kumari and Atanu Das have been left out of India’s squads for the upcoming Asian Games as well as World Cup Stages 3 and 4 after failing to make the cut at the selection trials. Read More

Related Articles