Friday, May 22, 2026
42.1 C
New Delhi

King Charles III’s scandal-hit brother Andrew to lose Prince title, move out of Royal Lodge

London, Oct 31 (PTI): Andrew, the younger brother of Britain’s King Charles III, is to lose his title of Prince and move out of the Royal Lodge on the Windsor Castle estate, Buckingham Palace has said in a statement.

The announcement on Thursday comes days after Andrew voluntarily relinquished the title of Duke of York and all other royal honours after a “discussion” with the monarch, amid “continued accusations” around his association with American sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.

However, the controversy refused to die down as British MPs took the unusual step of debating the matter of Andrew’s token rent for royal lodgings.

“His Majesty has today initiated a formal process to remove the Style, Titles and Honours of Prince Andrew,” reads the Buckingham Palace statement.

“Prince Andrew will now be known as Andrew Mountbatten Windsor. His lease on Royal Lodge has, to date, provided him with legal protection to continue in residence. Formal notice has now been served to surrender the lease and he will move to alternative private accommodation,” it states.

The palace notes that the “censures” are deemed necessary, notwithstanding the fact that Andrew continues to deny the allegations against him.

“Their Majesties wish to make clear that their thoughts and utmost sympathies have been, and will remain with, the victims and survivors of any and all forms of abuse,” the statement concludes.

The scandal-hit 65-year-old had already stopped using the “His Royal Highness (HRH)” title, having stepped back as a working royal earlier.

Earlier this month, he announced that all his other titles will also become inactive, even as he continued to “vigorously” deny all accusations against him.

As a son of the late Queen Elizabeth II, he was expected to retain the title of “Prince” in accordance with Letters Patent issued in 1917 by King George V, which were updated by his mother in 2012.

“In discussion with the King, and my immediate and wider family, we have concluded the continued accusations about me distract from the work of His Majesty [Charles] and the royal family,” Prince Andrew said in a statement issued by Buckingham Palace on October 18.

“I have decided, as I always have, to put my duty to my family and country first. I stand by my decision five years ago to stand back from public life.

“With His Majesty’s agreement, we feel I must now go a step further. I will therefore no longer use my title or the honours which have been conferred upon me. As I have said previously, I vigorously deny the accusations against me,” he said at the time.

Andrew’s ex-wife and close friend, Sarah Ferguson, will also no longer use her title of the Duchess of York but the titles of their daughters, Princess Beatrice and Eugiene, remain unaffected.

The decision comes amid renewed pressure on Andrew over reports of his relationship with the convicted paedophile financier Epstein and also links with an alleged Chinese spy.

A memoir titled ‘Nobody’s Girl’ by Virginia Giuffre, who had sued the senior royal back in August 2021 over an alleged sexual assault and died in April, threw up further allegations when it was released posthumously recently. PTI AK SCY SCY

(This story is published as part of the auto-generated syndicate wire feed. No editing has been done in the headline or the body by ABP Live.)

Go to Source

Hot this week

India reports over 300 suspected heatstroke cases amid extreme heat

A brutal heatwave sweeping across India has triggered hundreds of medical emergencies, with Andhra Pradesh alone recording 325 suspected heatstroke cases. Read More

India, Cyprus ink six MoUs, unveil defence and trade roadmap

India and Cyprus also agreed to establish a Consular Dialogue, while Cyprus joined the Indo-Pacific Oceans Initiative under the pillar of “Trade, Connectivity and Maritime Transport” Go to Source Read More

Oil, Quad and Trump’s shadow: Top US official Marco Rubio in India tomorrow – What to expect

Trump flanked by US VP Vance and Marco Rubio US Secretary of State Marco Rubio will arrive in India on Saturday for his first official visit to the country, carrying with him a packed agenda centred on energy cooperation, trade, stra Read More

Woman Dies After Consuming Poison In Greater Noida, Family Alleges Harassment By Husband, In-Laws

Police on Friday said she had been subjected to physical and mental harassment by her husband and in-laws. Read More

Karnataka High Court Sets Aside KIADB Order In Rs 1,125-Crore Lam Research Land Matter

The dispute relates to around 78 acres of land originally allotted by KIADB to Embassy East Business Park Ltd (previously Concord India Pvt Ltd) for development of IT, ITES infra Go to Source Read More

Topics

India reports over 300 suspected heatstroke cases amid extreme heat

A brutal heatwave sweeping across India has triggered hundreds of medical emergencies, with Andhra Pradesh alone recording 325 suspected heatstroke cases. Read More

India, Cyprus ink six MoUs, unveil defence and trade roadmap

India and Cyprus also agreed to establish a Consular Dialogue, while Cyprus joined the Indo-Pacific Oceans Initiative under the pillar of “Trade, Connectivity and Maritime Transport” Go to Source Read More

Oil, Quad and Trump’s shadow: Top US official Marco Rubio in India tomorrow – What to expect

Trump flanked by US VP Vance and Marco Rubio US Secretary of State Marco Rubio will arrive in India on Saturday for his first official visit to the country, carrying with him a packed agenda centred on energy cooperation, trade, stra Read More

Woman Dies After Consuming Poison In Greater Noida, Family Alleges Harassment By Husband, In-Laws

Police on Friday said she had been subjected to physical and mental harassment by her husband and in-laws. Read More

Karnataka High Court Sets Aside KIADB Order In Rs 1,125-Crore Lam Research Land Matter

The dispute relates to around 78 acres of land originally allotted by KIADB to Embassy East Business Park Ltd (previously Concord India Pvt Ltd) for development of IT, ITES infra Go to Source Read More

‘Great Responsibility On Shoulder’: Malaysia PM Congratulates Friend Vijay On Victory In Tamil Nadu

Malaysian PM Anwar Ibrahim calls Tamil Nadu CM Vijay, congratulates him on assembly win, wishes him strength to lead, says he will visit India in September for the BRICS Summit Go to Source Read More

Seventeen Firms Doubled Revenue In Q4 FY26: The Story Behind The Numbers

Show Quick Read Key points generated by AI, verified by newsroom Seventeen companies with over Rs 10,000 crore market cap doubled Q4 FY26 revenue. Read More

Bruce Dern on Quentin Tarantino and Brad Pitt

Veteran star Bruce Dern recently opened up about his time working on the 2019 film, ‘Once Upon A Time In Hollywood. Read More

Related Articles