Sunday, February 22, 2026
20.1 C
New Delhi

Israel Begins Gaza City Offensive, Approves New West Bank Settlements

Israel has moved into the initial stage of is planned Gaza City assault, intensifying military operations in the enclave while simultaneous approving thousands of new housing units in the occupied West Bank. The dual moves have heightened international concerns and reignited debate over the future of a Palestinian state.

ALSO READ: Israel Clears Military Plan To Seize Gaza City, 60,000 Reservists Called Up Amid Ceasefire Push

IDF Begins Ground Advance

Military spokesperson Brig. Gen. Effie Defrin confirmed that Israeli forces have entered the outskirts of Gaza City, marking the beginning of a new phase in the conflict. Troops are preparing to push deeper, with instructions to relocate civilians toward southern Gaza. Officials say the aim is to weaken Hamas and prevent it from regrouping

Defense Minister Israel Katz authorised the mobilisation of 60,000 reservists, while another 20,000 will have their service extended. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has directed that timelines for defeating Hamas be accelerated, calling the takeover plan critical to Israel’s security.

At the same time, Israel’s government approved 3,400 new settlement homes in the West Bank. Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich described the decision as proof that the idea of a Palestinian state is being erased. Rights groups and Palestinian leaders have warned that the expansion could make a two-state solution nearly impossible.

Ceasefire Talks In Doubt

The assault comes as Arab mediators floated a new ceasefire proposal close to terms Israel had previously accepted. However, Israel’s push into Gaza has cast doubt on whether negotiations can move forward. Egyptian officials said the deal included a 60-day truce and the phased release of hostages, but Israel has yet to formally respond.

The humanitarian crisis in Gaza is worsening. Aid agencies warn famine is near, with widespread displacement across the enclave. Residents describe having nowhere left to flee as bombardments continue. The UN has condemned Israel’s plan to seize Gaza City, warning of mass civilian casualties and destruction of essential infrastructure.

Global Reaction And Rising Tensions

Hamas has accused Israel of carrying out war crimes by escalating its assault on Gaza City. Meanwhile, Arab states have rejected taking part in post-war governance unless Palestinians themselves agree on a solution. Growing protests inside Israel are also pressuring the government, as citizens demand a halt to the war and protection for remaining hostages.

Go to Source

Hot this week

Moscow closes all international airports amid wave of Ukrainian drone attacks

All four international airports in the Russian capital were temporarily closed on Sunday after air defence systems shot down 11 Ukrainian drones approaching the city within an hour. Read More

Powerful earthquake strikes off Malaysia’s coast

A powerful earthquake measuring 7.1 on the Richter scale struck off Malaysia’s Sabah state on Borneo island, according to the US geological survey. Read More

‘Drop the items!’ Tense final warning before agents shot armed intruder at Trump’s Mar-a-Lago resort

An armed man identified as Austin Tucker Martin, 21, was shot dead on Sunday after entering the inner security perimeter of US President Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago resort early Sunday, authorities said, after law enforcement ordered him t Read More

Man with shotgun, fuel can tries to enter Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago resort, shot dead

The US secret service on Sunday said an armed man was shot and killed after entering the secure perimeter of Mar-a-Lago, President Donald Trump’s private resort in Palm Beach, Florida, AP reported. Read More

‘H1B lottery is 1/3 ratio’: Indian-origin CEO urges parents not to send children to US after 30-year-old’s death

Indian-origin entrepreneur Vijay Thirumalai has sparked a fierce buzz online after reacting to the death of 30-year-old Indian national Sasikanth Reddy Donthireddy in the United States. Read More

Topics

Moscow closes all international airports amid wave of Ukrainian drone attacks

All four international airports in the Russian capital were temporarily closed on Sunday after air defence systems shot down 11 Ukrainian drones approaching the city within an hour. Read More

Powerful earthquake strikes off Malaysia’s coast

A powerful earthquake measuring 7.1 on the Richter scale struck off Malaysia’s Sabah state on Borneo island, according to the US geological survey. Read More

‘Drop the items!’ Tense final warning before agents shot armed intruder at Trump’s Mar-a-Lago resort

An armed man identified as Austin Tucker Martin, 21, was shot dead on Sunday after entering the inner security perimeter of US President Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago resort early Sunday, authorities said, after law enforcement ordered him t Read More

Man with shotgun, fuel can tries to enter Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago resort, shot dead

The US secret service on Sunday said an armed man was shot and killed after entering the secure perimeter of Mar-a-Lago, President Donald Trump’s private resort in Palm Beach, Florida, AP reported. Read More

‘H1B lottery is 1/3 ratio’: Indian-origin CEO urges parents not to send children to US after 30-year-old’s death

Indian-origin entrepreneur Vijay Thirumalai has sparked a fierce buzz online after reacting to the death of 30-year-old Indian national Sasikanth Reddy Donthireddy in the United States. Read More

Latest US-Iran Talks To Be Held On February 26 In Geneva: Oman

Oman Foreign Minister Badr Albusaidi announced US-Iran nuclear talks will resume Thursday, aiming for a deal on sanctions relief. Read More

Armed man killed after entering secure perimeter of Trump’s residence, Secret Service says

Months later, a US Secret Service agent spotted a rifle sticking out of bushes at Trump International Golf Club in West Palm Beach. The man, later identified as Ryan Routh, fled but was caught. Read More

3 terrorists killed in Kishtwar gunfight

. JAMMU: Security forces killed three terrorists during a gunfight in Kishtwar district of J&K, tightening a weeks-long hunt through dense forests and steep terrain, officials said Sunday. Read More

Related Articles