Tuesday, May 19, 2026
41.1 C
New Delhi

ABC Pulls ‘Jimmy Kimmel Live’ Off Air ‘Indefinitely’ Over Charlie Kirk Shooting Remarks

Jimmy Kimmel’s late-night talk show has been pulled from ABC’s lineup “indefinitely” following a storm of criticism over his comments about the killing of conservative activist Charlie Kirk.

The network confirmed the suspension on Tuesday, describing the move as a preemption—an industry term for taking a program off the schedule. The decision halts one of America’s most prominent late-night shows at a time when President Donald Trump has been escalating legal and political battles with media outlets he accuses of harboring bias against him.

“Jimmy Kimmel Live will be preempted indefinitely,” an ABC spokesperson told AFP, using the broadcasting term for replacing or removing a show from its lineup.

A Shooting That Shook Conservatives

Kirk, a prominent Trump ally and founder of Turning Point USA, was shot dead last week while speaking at a Utah university. Authorities said 22-year-old Tyler Robinson fired a single round from a rooftop, striking Kirk in the neck. Robinson was arrested at the scene and later charged with murder.

On Monday, Kimmel addressed the tragedy during his monologue, drawing sharp criticism for how he framed the political reaction to the attack.

“We had some new lows over the weekend with the MAGA gang desperately trying to characterize this kid who murdered Charlie Kirk as anything other than one of them and doing everything they can to score political points from it,” Kimmel said.

“MAGA” is shorthand for Trump’s “Make America Great Again” movement.

Growing Fallout and Station Pushback

The White House announced this week it plans to investigate what it calls a left-wing “domestic terror movement” in response to Kirk’s killing, sparking concerns that the effort could chill political dissent.

ABC’s suspension of Kimmel’s program came soon after Nexstar, one of the nation’s largest operators of ABC affiliate stations, said it would no longer air the show “for the foreseeable future.”

Andrew Alford, Nexstar’s president of broadcasting, released a statement criticizing the comedian’s remarks.

“Mr. Kimmel’s comments about the death of Mr. Kirk are offensive and insensitive at a critical time in our national political discourse,” Alford said. “We do not believe they reflect the values of the communities we serve. Continuing to give Mr. Kimmel a platform is not in the public interest right now.”

Kimmel has yet to publicly address the controversy, and representatives for the host did not respond to requests for comment.

Trump’s Remarks Over The Cancellation

The president celebrated ABC’s move in a social media post, mocking Kimmel’s ratings and urging NBC to cancel its remaining late-night hosts, Jimmy Fallon and Seth Meyers.

<iframe src=”https://truthsocial.com/@realDonaldTrump/115222372625104790/embed” class=”truthsocial-embed” style=”max-width: 100%; border: 0″ width=”600″ allowfullscreen=”allowfullscreen”></iframe><script src=”https://truthsocial.com/embed.js” async=”async”></script>

Trump’s statement underscored how Kimmel’s suspension has become entangled with the broader political fight over media bias.

Media Under Pressure as Trump Turns Up the Heat

The network’s decision comes amid heightened tensions between the Trump administration and the press. Since returning to the White House, Trump has frequently targeted journalists critical of his leadership, limiting access and pursuing costly defamation cases.

Just this week, the president filed a $15 billion lawsuit against The New York Times, accusing the paper of waging a “decades-long” smear campaign against him marked by “actual malice.”

Although the US Constitution offers strong protections for journalists, Trump has secured major settlements from other networks, including ABC and CBS, in previous defamation disputes. Those payouts, reportedly earmarked for his future presidential library, were seen as efforts by corporate parents to avoid further conflict with the administration.

Go to Source

Hot this week

Neymar’s Brazil return raises stakes for a 2026 World Cup full of farewell storylines

Neymar’s much-awaited return to the Brazil football team has turned the 2026 World Cup into a battle of legacies. Read More

World’s longest hiccup case ever recorded: The man who hiccupped more than 430 million times over 68 years

Hiccups may not affect the majority of people because it is usually considered just another temporary inconvenience. They usually go away in a matter of minutes and might leave nothing but some slight frustration and awkward laughter. Read More

Two-faced Pakistan? Why is Islamabad, a mediator in Iran war, sending troops to Saudi Arabia?

Is Pakistan playing a double game in the Iran war? That’s the question many are asking after it has been reported that Islamabad has secretly deployed 8,000 troops, a squadron of fighter jets and an air defence system to Saudi Arabia. Read More

Indian-origin MSP Q Manivannan sparks row for promoting taxpayer-funded reparations for Palestine

Manivannan, who represents the Edinburgh & Lothians East regional list, backed the Art Workers for Palestine Scotland manifesto ahead of the local elections Go to Source Read More

Hungary’s PM Magyar visits Poland & Austria to restore ties with Europe

Hungarian Prime Minister Peter Magyar has embarked on a high-stakes visit to Poland, signaling a definitive break from the pro-Moscow policies of his predecessor, Viktor Orban. Read More

Topics

Neymar’s Brazil return raises stakes for a 2026 World Cup full of farewell storylines

Neymar’s much-awaited return to the Brazil football team has turned the 2026 World Cup into a battle of legacies. Read More

World’s longest hiccup case ever recorded: The man who hiccupped more than 430 million times over 68 years

Hiccups may not affect the majority of people because it is usually considered just another temporary inconvenience. They usually go away in a matter of minutes and might leave nothing but some slight frustration and awkward laughter. Read More

Two-faced Pakistan? Why is Islamabad, a mediator in Iran war, sending troops to Saudi Arabia?

Is Pakistan playing a double game in the Iran war? That’s the question many are asking after it has been reported that Islamabad has secretly deployed 8,000 troops, a squadron of fighter jets and an air defence system to Saudi Arabia. Read More

Indian-origin MSP Q Manivannan sparks row for promoting taxpayer-funded reparations for Palestine

Manivannan, who represents the Edinburgh & Lothians East regional list, backed the Art Workers for Palestine Scotland manifesto ahead of the local elections Go to Source Read More

Hungary’s PM Magyar visits Poland & Austria to restore ties with Europe

Hungarian Prime Minister Peter Magyar has embarked on a high-stakes visit to Poland, signaling a definitive break from the pro-Moscow policies of his predecessor, Viktor Orban. Read More

Xi Jinping Told Donald Trump That Vladimir Putin Might Regret The Ukraine Invasion: Report

Russia and China had declared a “no-limits partnership” shortly before Moscow launched its invasion of Ukraine in February 2022. Read More

Quote Of The Day By Albert Einstein: “Two things are infinite: the universe and…

Albert Einstein reflects that while the universe may be finite, human stupidity seems endless, using humor to warn that ignorance and poor judgment can undermine progress Go to Source Author: News18 Read More

A Lifetime’s Collection Gifted To The Nation: The Story Behind Salar Jung Museum As It Turns 75

The museum’s treasures were collected by Nawab Mir Yousuf Ali Khan, Salar Jung III, a former Prime Minister under the Nizam who gave up politics in 1914. Read More

Related Articles