Tuesday, February 17, 2026
18.1 C
New Delhi

Your Next Smartphone Will Have THIS Govt App Pre-Installed… And You Can’t Remove It

India’s telecom ministry has asked every smartphone company to preload all new phones with a government-owned cybersecurity app called Sanchar Saathi. This order has been sent privately to phone makers, and it is expected to create a big clash with Apple because Apple normally does not allow any government or third-party apps to be pre-installed before a phone is sold. 

India is one of the biggest mobile markets in the world with over 1.2 billion subscribers, and the government says the app has already helped recover more than 700,000 lost phones.

Telecom Cybersecurity Order For Smartphone Makers

According to the November 28 order, big companies like Apple, Samsung, Vivo, Oppo, and Xiaomi now have 90 days to make sure that the Sanchar Saathi app is pre-installed on all new smartphones. The order also mentions that users will not be able to disable the app. 

Reuters reported that for devices already in the supply chain, the phone makers will have to add the app through a software update. The telecom ministry has not commented on the issue. Apple, Samsung, and Xiaomi have also not given any response yet.

Industry sources say the order was issued without consulting smartphone companies, which has raised worries within the industry. Apple has strict internal rules that do not allow any app, especially government or third-party, to be installed before a device is sold, so this directive goes against Apple’s policy. 

This is not the first time Apple and the Indian telecom regulator have disagreed. They have had earlier arguments over a government anti-spam app as well.

What Can The Sanchar Saathi App Do?

The government says this step is important because duplicate or fake IMEI numbers are being used for scams, phone theft, and misuse of telecom networks. IMEI is a 14- to 17-digit number that is unique for every phone and helps block stolen phones from accessing networks. 

The Sanchar Saathi app lets users verify IMEI numbers, report suspicious calls, and block stolen devices. The government says the app has more than 5 million downloads and has helped block over 3.7 million lost or stolen phones. 

More than 30 million fake connections have also been terminated. The government believes this app supports cybersecurity and helps the police trace stolen devices and reduce the circulation of counterfeit phones.

Go to Source

Hot this week

Blackstone founder Stephen Schwarzman plans to donate his entire $48 billion fortune to a major philanthropic foundation

Stephen Schwarzman, the co-founder and chief executive of global investment firm Blackstone, is preparing to transfer most of his estimated $48 billion personal fortune into a philanthropic foundation, according to documents reviewed Read More

‘It’s on private property built by Hindus’: Indian-Americans slam MAGA influencer over Hanuman statue in Texas

A Texas-based conservative activist stirred a row after questioning the presence of a 90-foot-tall statue of Lord Hanuman at the Shri Ashtalakshmi Temple in Sugar Land, Texas. Read More

Development not at cost of health, environment, says SC

Supreme Court NEW DELHI: The Supreme Court has ruled that development isn’t an absolute goal and that the right to a clean environment, which is part of the right to life, cannot be traded off with economic benefits. Read More

Neena Gupta says she married Vivek Mehra out of ‘compulsion’

Veteran actress Neena Gupta has made a candid admission about her marriage to chartered accountant Vivek Mehra, revealing that it was not driven by romance but by circumstance. Read More

Shia LaBeouf ARRESTED at Mardi Gras – WATCH

FILE – Shia LaBeouf appears at the premiere of “The Phoenician Scheme” at the 78th international film festival in Cannes, southern France, on May 18, 2025. Read More

Topics

Blackstone founder Stephen Schwarzman plans to donate his entire $48 billion fortune to a major philanthropic foundation

Stephen Schwarzman, the co-founder and chief executive of global investment firm Blackstone, is preparing to transfer most of his estimated $48 billion personal fortune into a philanthropic foundation, according to documents reviewed Read More

‘It’s on private property built by Hindus’: Indian-Americans slam MAGA influencer over Hanuman statue in Texas

A Texas-based conservative activist stirred a row after questioning the presence of a 90-foot-tall statue of Lord Hanuman at the Shri Ashtalakshmi Temple in Sugar Land, Texas. Read More

Development not at cost of health, environment, says SC

Supreme Court NEW DELHI: The Supreme Court has ruled that development isn’t an absolute goal and that the right to a clean environment, which is part of the right to life, cannot be traded off with economic benefits. Read More

Neena Gupta says she married Vivek Mehra out of ‘compulsion’

Veteran actress Neena Gupta has made a candid admission about her marriage to chartered accountant Vivek Mehra, revealing that it was not driven by romance but by circumstance. Read More

Shia LaBeouf ARRESTED at Mardi Gras – WATCH

FILE – Shia LaBeouf appears at the premiere of “The Phoenician Scheme” at the 78th international film festival in Cannes, southern France, on May 18, 2025. Read More

Before politics tore them apart: How Jesse Jackson and Donald Trump really knew each other

Donald Trump has paid tribute to the Rev Jesse Jackson following the civil rights leader’s death, describing him as a longtime associate and inspiration. Read More

Glove DNA Yields No Hits In Database As Search For Missing NBC Anchor’s Mother Enters Day 17

DNA from gloves found near Nancy Guthrie’s Arizona home did not match any CODIS profiles. Search for the missing 84-year-old continues, with Savannah Guthrie urging public help. Read More

Tina Ambani skips ED summons, 2nd in a month

Tina Ambani (File photo) NEW DELHI: Tina Ambani, the wife of Anil Ambani of Reliance group, skipped her second date with the Enforcement Directorate (ED) on Tuesday. Read More

Related Articles