Sunday, May 24, 2026
43.1 C
New Delhi

IPL 2026 Opening Ceremony Cancelled: Here’s Real Reason

The 19th season of Indian Premier League is set to begin on Saturday, March 28, with Royal Challengers Bengaluru taking on Sunrisers Hyderabad at the M. Chinnaswamy Stadium from 7:30 PM. While opening ceremonies have been a hallmark of the IPL since its inception, the tradition will not continue this year.

The IPL opening ceremony was previously called off in 2019 following the Pulwama attack, and later editions were affected by COVID-19 pandemic. It eventually returned, with last year’s IPL opener in Kolkata featuring performances by stars like Shah Rukh Khan, Shreya Ghoshal, Disha Patani, and Karan Aujla.

However, according to Devajit Saikia, the opening ceremony for IPL 2026 has once again been cancelled. There will be no grand opening event, but the Board of Control for Cricket in India is planning a closing ceremony instead.

Why Was It Cancelled?

The decision is linked to a tragic incident that occurred last year at the Chinnaswamy Stadium. After RCB clinched their maiden IPL title, a celebration was held at the venue without adequate planning, drawing massive crowds due to free entry. The situation spiraled out of control, leading to a stampede outside the stadium that claimed 11 lives.

As a mark of respect to the victims, BCCI has decided not to hold an IPL opening ceremony this season.

The IPL 2026 league stage will run from March 28 to May 24, featuring 70 matches across 12 venues.

This isn’t the first time the Indian Premier League has begun without an opening ceremony. In its 18-year history, the league has skipped the ceremony on four previous occasions due to security concerns, national tragedies, and the COVID-19 pandemic.

IPL Seasons Without Opening Ceremonies

The 2020 and 2021 editions were held under strict pandemic protocols, with players undergoing regular testing and remaining in bio-secure bubbles. Given the circumstances, no opening ceremonies were held in either season, prioritizing player safety.

Earlier, in 2019, the ceremony was cancelled following the Pulwama attack, in which around 40 soldiers lost their lives. The funds allocated for the event were instead donated to the families of the victims.

The 2022 season also proceeded without an opening ceremony as lingering COVID-19 concerns continued to impact large gatherings.

Go to Source

Hot this week

‘Missile destroyed a building near my parents’ house this morning’: Marta Kostyuk stuns French Open crowd after win

Ukraine’s Marta Kostyuk overcame emotional turmoil to defeat Russia’s Oksana Selekhmeteva in the first round of the French Open after a missile strike near her parents’ home in Kyiv. The 15th seed extended her clay winning streak to 12 matches. Read More

Trump turnaround: Open the straits, close the war

TOI correspondent from Washington: “Iran never won a war, but never lost a negotiation,” U.S President Donald Trump said in January 2020 during his first term. Read More

Rubio acknowledges ‘friction points’ in US immigration overhaul after India raises visa concerns

Jaishankar raises concerns over visa and mobility challenges faced by Indian professionals as Washington defends sweeping immigration and green card policy changes. Read More

Who was Nasire Best, White House shooter identified himself as Jesus & had prior Secret Service encounters?

Reports said Best had a documented history of mental health issues and had previously come to the attention of the US Secret Service. Read More

Dhaka Deploys AI To Tackle Traffic Chaos, Cops Say They’re Getting Results

Dhaka launches AI traffic enforcement using cameras to detect violations. Early results show improved driver compliance and 300 vehicles prosecuted so far. Read More

Topics

‘Missile destroyed a building near my parents’ house this morning’: Marta Kostyuk stuns French Open crowd after win

Ukraine’s Marta Kostyuk overcame emotional turmoil to defeat Russia’s Oksana Selekhmeteva in the first round of the French Open after a missile strike near her parents’ home in Kyiv. The 15th seed extended her clay winning streak to 12 matches. Read More

Trump turnaround: Open the straits, close the war

TOI correspondent from Washington: “Iran never won a war, but never lost a negotiation,” U.S President Donald Trump said in January 2020 during his first term. Read More

Rubio acknowledges ‘friction points’ in US immigration overhaul after India raises visa concerns

Jaishankar raises concerns over visa and mobility challenges faced by Indian professionals as Washington defends sweeping immigration and green card policy changes. Read More

Who was Nasire Best, White House shooter identified himself as Jesus & had prior Secret Service encounters?

Reports said Best had a documented history of mental health issues and had previously come to the attention of the US Secret Service. Read More

Dhaka Deploys AI To Tackle Traffic Chaos, Cops Say They’re Getting Results

Dhaka launches AI traffic enforcement using cameras to detect violations. Early results show improved driver compliance and 300 vehicles prosecuted so far. Read More

After Modi’s Push For Domestic Tourism, Here Are 8 Places Seeing A Surge

Modi’s Vocal for Local push is driving a shift from foreign trips to premium domestic tourism, boosting bookings in Lakshadweep, Puducherry, Jodhpur and other places Go to Source Author: News18 Read More

Education ministry directs deployment of IIT Madras, IIT Kanpur experts to fix CBSE post-result portal glitches

Photo credit: ANI NEW DELHI: The ministry of education on Sunday said it has directed IIT Madras and IIT Kanpur to assist the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) in resolving technical issues on its post-result services port Read More

London To Paris: Delhi Gymkhana’s 61 Affiliated Clubs Across 15 Countries

Founded in 1913 as the Imperial Delhi Gymkhana Club, it stands as one of India’s oldest and most iconic social and sporting landmarks Go to Source Read More

Related Articles