Friday, February 20, 2026
17.1 C
New Delhi

‘Didn’t Seem Like A Natural Exit’: Ex-India Batter Weighs In On Kohli, Rohit’s Test Retirement

The discussion around the sudden Test retirements of Virat Kohli and Rohit Sharma has resurfaced, with fresh scrutiny over how and when two of India’s biggest modern-day cricketers stepped away from the longest format.

This time, former India batsman and T20 World Cup winner Robin Uthappa has weighed in, openly questioning whether the exits felt organic.

Kohli and Rohit both called time on their Test careers earlier this year, shortly after India endured a difficult phase that included a home series defeat against New Zealand and a disappointing Border-Gavaskar Trophy campaign in Australia.

While retirement decisions are deeply personal, the sequence of events surrounding their announcements has continued to fuel debate among fans and former players alike.

Questions Raised On Kohli-Rohit’s Test Retirements

Addressing the issue on his YouTube channel, Robin Uthappa offered a candid assessment of the situation. He admitted that the manner of the retirements did not sit comfortably with him, even while stopping short of suggesting coercion.

I don’t know if it was a forced surrender, but it definitely didn’t seem like a natural exit. What the truth is, they themselves will have to share in their own time, but I don’t think it was natural,

Uthappa’s remarks have added further weight to the ongoing conversation, particularly because they echo sentiments already being discussed within cricketing fan circles.

The pressure on India’s senior players had been building following a string of underwhelming results. After the Australia tour, both Kohli and Rohit were asked to turn out in the Ranji Trophy, a move seen as an effort to regain rhythm and confidence.

The duo did feature in domestic cricket, which led many to believe they were still keen on continuing in the Test setup.

However, the situation took a sudden turn during the Indian Premier League. Rohit Sharma announced his retirement from Test cricket via an Instagram story, catching many by surprise.

Just days later, Virat Kohli also used social media to confirm the end of his red-ball career. The timing, particularly with an England tour looming, left supporters and analysts questioning whether the decisions were entirely planned or influenced by external factors.

Go to Source

Hot this week

Trump announces new 10% global tariff after Supreme Court ruling: What are Sections 122, 232 and 301? Explained

US President Donald Trump said he would sign new orders aimed at restoring tariffs using alternative legal authorities after the Supreme Court struck down a large portion of his previous measures. Read More

Bianca Dias dies at 20 days after cosmetic surgery

Brazilian content creator Bianca Dias passed away on Thursday, February 19, at the age of 20, leaving her family, friends and followers in shock. Read More

No change in trade deal with India; it is on: Trump after SC verdict

New York/Washington, Feb 20 (PTI): In the wake of the US Supreme Court’s decision on tariffs, President Donald Trump said there is no change in the trade deal with India and emphasised that the “India deal is on”. Read More

After Anoushka’s denial, Rishab shares proof of guru-shishya bond

Musician Anoushka Shankar recently denied claims that sitarist Rishab Rikhiram Sharma was a disciple of her father, the legendary Pandit Ravi Shankar. Read More

US-sanctioned Iran-linked oil tanker spent 8 days in Pak maritime boundary: FIR

Asphalt Star tanker NEW DELHI/MUMBAI: One of the three US-sanctioned Iran-linked oil tankers seized by the Indian Coast Guard (ICG) on Feb 6 off the country’s coast had spent days inside Pakistan’s maritime boundary with its Read More

Topics

Trump announces new 10% global tariff after Supreme Court ruling: What are Sections 122, 232 and 301? Explained

US President Donald Trump said he would sign new orders aimed at restoring tariffs using alternative legal authorities after the Supreme Court struck down a large portion of his previous measures. Read More

Bianca Dias dies at 20 days after cosmetic surgery

Brazilian content creator Bianca Dias passed away on Thursday, February 19, at the age of 20, leaving her family, friends and followers in shock. Read More

No change in trade deal with India; it is on: Trump after SC verdict

New York/Washington, Feb 20 (PTI): In the wake of the US Supreme Court’s decision on tariffs, President Donald Trump said there is no change in the trade deal with India and emphasised that the “India deal is on”. Read More

After Anoushka’s denial, Rishab shares proof of guru-shishya bond

Musician Anoushka Shankar recently denied claims that sitarist Rishab Rikhiram Sharma was a disciple of her father, the legendary Pandit Ravi Shankar. Read More

US-sanctioned Iran-linked oil tanker spent 8 days in Pak maritime boundary: FIR

Asphalt Star tanker NEW DELHI/MUMBAI: One of the three US-sanctioned Iran-linked oil tankers seized by the Indian Coast Guard (ICG) on Feb 6 off the country’s coast had spent days inside Pakistan’s maritime boundary with its Read More

Army chief charts ways to expand defence cooperation during Australia visit

Army chief Gen General Upendra Dwivedi called on Vice Admiral Justin Jones, Chief of Joint Operations, Australian Defence Force, at the Joint Operations Command. Read More

Explained: 5 reasons why NYT op-ed is saying it’s ‘India’s century’

For years, 21st-century geopolitics has been framed as a heavyweight bout between Washington and Beijing. Read More

‘Grave error of judgement’: EU parliamentary groups condemn commissioner’s attendance at Trump’s ‘Board of Peace’

Social democratic, liberal, and green lawmakers call the decision “a grave error of judgement,” warning that the move risks legitimising the initiative and undermining UN authority, while the Commission defends Suica’s presence. Read More

Related Articles