Friday, May 22, 2026
35.1 C
New Delhi

CJI Gavai Slams Centre For ‘Tactics’, Says Govt Seems Keen To Avoid His Bench In Tribunal Reforms Case

Show Quick Read

Key points generated by AI, verified by newsroom

In a sharp rebuke on Monday, the Supreme Court criticised the Union government for making a sudden, mid-hearing request to transfer petitions challenging the Tribunal Reforms Act to a five-judge Constitution bench. The Act lays down uniform service conditions for chairpersons and members of various tribunals across the country.

A bench headed by Chief Justice of India B R Gavai, which had already heard arguments from the petitioners, expressed astonishment at the government’s move. The court noted that the request came only after Attorney General R Venkataramani, who had earlier sought an adjournment to attend an international arbitration, returned to continue the hearing.

“We do not expect the Union of India to take such a stand and play tactics with the court,” CJI Gavai remarked, visibly displeased. “The petitioners’ counsel were heard fully on merits. At no point did the Attorney General indicate that the Centre would later seek reference to a five-judge bench.”

The CJI, who is due to retire in 20 days, went on to say that the timing of the application was “shocking”. He added, “We will reject this application with an observation that the Union government appears to be attempting to avoid the present bench.”

‘Didn’t Expect a Midnight Application,’ Says CJI

The court’s strong words followed the government’s filing of the plea late Sunday night, hours before the scheduled hearing. The Attorney General clarified that neither he nor the government intended to delay proceedings, arguing that the case raised substantial questions of constitutional law that warranted consideration by a larger bench.

However, the bench was unconvinced. “We did not expect the Union government to indulge in such tactics, especially by filing an application at midnight,” CJI Gavai said. “After the petitioners have been fully heard, the government cannot now seek reference to a larger bench.”

He added that if, upon evaluating the arguments, the court found substantial constitutional questions at stake, it would itself decide whether to refer the matter to a five-judge bench.

Following the exchange, the court proceeded to hear the Attorney General’s defence of the Tribunal Reforms Act, which aims to bring uniformity to service conditions across tribunals. The matter was then adjourned to 7 November for further hearing.

Centre’s Argument

In its application, the government maintained that the petitions raise critical questions concerning the interpretation of the Constitution, necessitating a larger bench under Article 145(3).

The Centre also sought clarity on whether the Supreme Court can issue a mandamus, a judicial directive, compelling the government or Parliament to legislate in a particular way. It argued that such directions could breach the doctrine of separation of powers, a cornerstone of the Indian Constitution.

The government further contended that Parliament’s legislative powers should not be constrained by directions issued in prior judgments.

Go to Source

Hot this week

Centre sets up panel to unclog port bottlenecks

NEW DELHI: Govt has stepped in to unclog piling up of containers at India’s busiest container port, Jawaharlal Nehru Port Authority (JNPA) (Mumbai), and has set up a panel of top officials to remove bottlenecks at all the 12 maj Read More

Jennifer Garner and Ben Affleck REUNITE; twin on lunch date- PICS

Jennifer Garner and Ben Affleck raised eyebrows with their latest spotting. Not only were the Hollywood exes spotted together on a day out, but the two were seen twinning from head to toe in matching outfits. Read More

SC to hear PIL against CBSE’s 3-language policy

NEW DELHI: Supreme Court on Friday agreed to hear a PIL by parents and teachers in NCR and Chennai challenging the validity of CBSE’s recent policy mandating three languages, two of which must be Indian for Class 9 and said it Read More

Tom Hardy FIRED from ‘Mobland’ Season 3

Hollywood star Tom Hardy will reportedly not return for a potential third season of the hit gangster drama ‘MobLand’, following reports that the actor has allegedly been ‘fired’ afer wrapping up season 2. Read More

Bobby reveals how Dharmendra reacted after Animal success

Bobby Deol recently reflected on the massive success of Animal and how the film completely changed the perception surrounding his career. Read More

Topics

Centre sets up panel to unclog port bottlenecks

NEW DELHI: Govt has stepped in to unclog piling up of containers at India’s busiest container port, Jawaharlal Nehru Port Authority (JNPA) (Mumbai), and has set up a panel of top officials to remove bottlenecks at all the 12 maj Read More

Jennifer Garner and Ben Affleck REUNITE; twin on lunch date- PICS

Jennifer Garner and Ben Affleck raised eyebrows with their latest spotting. Not only were the Hollywood exes spotted together on a day out, but the two were seen twinning from head to toe in matching outfits. Read More

SC to hear PIL against CBSE’s 3-language policy

NEW DELHI: Supreme Court on Friday agreed to hear a PIL by parents and teachers in NCR and Chennai challenging the validity of CBSE’s recent policy mandating three languages, two of which must be Indian for Class 9 and said it Read More

Tom Hardy FIRED from ‘Mobland’ Season 3

Hollywood star Tom Hardy will reportedly not return for a potential third season of the hit gangster drama ‘MobLand’, following reports that the actor has allegedly been ‘fired’ afer wrapping up season 2. Read More

Bobby reveals how Dharmendra reacted after Animal success

Bobby Deol recently reflected on the massive success of Animal and how the film completely changed the perception surrounding his career. Read More

Major Abhilasha Barak of India to receive 2025 UN Military Gender Advocate of the Year Award

United Nations, May 23 (PTI): Indian peacekeeper serving with the UN mission in Lebanon, Major Abhilasha Barak, has been named the recipient of a prestigious military gender advocate award by the world body. Read More

Why quota for kids of well-off parents, asks SC

NEW DELHI: Supreme Court on Friday raised a question on why children of economically and educationally advanced families within backward classes be allowed to avail the benefit of reservation under OBC category. Read More

Aaradhya makes red carpet debut with Aishwarya at Cannes event- WATCH

Pic: Instagram Aaradhya Bachchan finally made her red carpet debut alongside her mother and actress, Aishwarya Rai Bachchan at an event hosted at the Cannes Film Festival on Friday evening. Read More

Related Articles