Sunday, May 24, 2026
33.1 C
New Delhi

White House shooting: 21-year-old Nasire Best, who identified himself as Jesus Christ, shot dead

White House shooting: 21-year-old Nasire Best, who identified himself as Jesus Christ, shot dead

Naseer Best (Image/X)

A gunman who allegedly believed he was Jesus Christ was identified as the suspect in the shooting outside the White House and was later killed by US Secret Service personnel during exchange of gunfire near the presidential complex on Saturday evening.Nasire Best, 21 years old, allegedly opened fire at a security checkpoint outside the White House, triggering panic in the area and a massive federal security response. According to New York Post, Best was seen pacing suspiciously near 17th Street Northwest before pulling out a revolver and firing multiple rounds toward officers stationed near the checkpoint.Secret Service personnel immediately returned fire, killing the suspect on the spot. At least one bystander was seriously injured during the exchange, according to sources cited by The New York Post and CBS News. No Secret Service personnel were reported injured. The shooting took place while US President Donald Trump was inside the White House amid ongoing diplomatic discussions related to Iran and a proposed peace framework involving multiple Middle Eastern nations.

Previous encounters with Secret Service

According to preliminary information, investigators believe Best was a mentally troubled individual who had prior encounters with law enforcement and federal security agencies. Sources said he was previously known to the Secret Service for repeatedly loitering around restricted White House entry points and had allegedly violated an earlier court order instructing him to stay away from the area.Also Read | Gunshots reported near White House during Donald Trump’s Iran talksCourt records from an earlier incident reportedly showed that Best had made bizarre statements while being detained by authorities.”[Best] claimed he was Jesus Christ and that he wanted to get arrested,” court records stated.Authorities said Best had previously been involuntarily committed in June 2025 after obstructing vehicular traffic near 15th Street and E Street Northwest. After claiming he was ‘God’, he was reportedly detained by the Secret Service and committed to the Psychiatric Institute of Washington for mental evaluation, CNN reported.In July 2025, Best was arrested again after allegedly attempting to enter a White House complex driveway by bypassing a restricted pedestrian control point through an exit turnstile lane. Following the incident, a judge reportedly ordered him to stay away from White House grounds.Investigators also reportedly discovered multiple disturbing social media posts linked to Best during earlier investigations. According to sources, he allegedly claimed online that he was ‘the real’ Osama bin Laden.However, law enforcement sources said authorities had never previously encountered Best behaving violently or carrying a weapon before Saturday’s shooting.Also read: White House shooting scare latest updates: US secret service kills suspect near security checkpoint

FBI launches investigation

The FBI later confirmed that federal agencies had launched a joint investigation into the shooting.”FBI is on the scene and supporting Secret Service responding to shots fired near White House grounds – we will update the public as we’re able,” FBI Director Kash Patel posted on X.

Panic and lockdown at White House

The sound of the gunfire caused chaos among journalists stationed near the White House. ABC News correspondent Selina Wang said reporters were forced to run for cover after hearing what sounded like ‘dozens of gunshots’.”I was in the middle of taping on my iPhone for a social video from the White House North Lawn when we heard the shots. It sounded like dozens of gunshots. We were told to sprint to the press briefing room where we are holding now,” Wang wrote on X. Members of the White House press corps were rushed into the briefing room as Secret Service agents shouted ‘get down’ and warned of ‘shots fired’. Journalists, photographers and producers were ordered to shelter in place while armed Secret Service personnel secured the North Lawn area.The White House complex remained under lockdown for roughly 40 minutes before restrictions were lifted shortly after 6:45 p.m. ET.

Trump was in Oval Office during shooting

The shooting occurred less than two hours after President Donald Trump posted on Truth Social that he was inside the Oval Office working on a possible peace agreement involving Iran, Israel and several Middle Eastern countries.In his post, Trump said discussions had taken place with leaders from Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Pakistan, Türkiye, Egypt, Jordan and Bahrain regarding a ‘Memorandum of Understanding pertaining to PEACE’.Trump had cancelled a planned weekend trip to his golf club in New Jersey and remained in Washington during the negotiations.Saturday’s incident marks the latest in a string of violent security scares near Trump and the White House in recent months.The shooting came less than a month after another armed suspect allegedly opened fire near the White House Correspondents’ Dinner while Trump was in attendance. Go to Source

Hot this week

Dozens feared trapped after under-construction building collapses in Philippines

A nine-storey building under construction collapsed in Angeles City in the Philippines on Sunday, with 30 to 40 people feared trapped beneath the rubble. Read More

Japan’s New Travel Card For Tourists Makes Train, Bus Travel And Payments Easier—Check Details

Japan’s new prepaid tourist travel card makes train, bus travel and cashless payments easier for international visitors, and stays valid for up to 28 days. Read More

Doval, Rubio Set For Crucial Talks Amid West Asia Tensions; Regional Security In Focus | Exclusive

Ajit Doval is set to hold talks with Marco Rubio amid rising tensions in West Asia, with security concerns, and counter-terror cooperation expected to dominate the agenda. Read More

Rajasthan Moves To Cut Costs: No Govt-Funded Foreign Travel, Orders Carpooling And EV Adoption

It also instructed that “officers and employees travelling towards the same destination shall give priority to car pooling (Car Pooling) in government/contract/private vehicles. Read More

Boney Kapoor unveils vision for International Film city

FB Producer Boney Kapoor heaped praise on Prime Minister Narendra Modi during an event in New Delhi, describing him as an “achiever” who has guided the country through several challenging periods. Read More

Topics

Dozens feared trapped after under-construction building collapses in Philippines

A nine-storey building under construction collapsed in Angeles City in the Philippines on Sunday, with 30 to 40 people feared trapped beneath the rubble. Read More

Japan’s New Travel Card For Tourists Makes Train, Bus Travel And Payments Easier—Check Details

Japan’s new prepaid tourist travel card makes train, bus travel and cashless payments easier for international visitors, and stays valid for up to 28 days. Read More

Doval, Rubio Set For Crucial Talks Amid West Asia Tensions; Regional Security In Focus | Exclusive

Ajit Doval is set to hold talks with Marco Rubio amid rising tensions in West Asia, with security concerns, and counter-terror cooperation expected to dominate the agenda. Read More

Rajasthan Moves To Cut Costs: No Govt-Funded Foreign Travel, Orders Carpooling And EV Adoption

It also instructed that “officers and employees travelling towards the same destination shall give priority to car pooling (Car Pooling) in government/contract/private vehicles. Read More

Boney Kapoor unveils vision for International Film city

FB Producer Boney Kapoor heaped praise on Prime Minister Narendra Modi during an event in New Delhi, describing him as an “achiever” who has guided the country through several challenging periods. Read More

Ram Charan apologises to Bumrah

Picture Credit Tollywood star Ram Charan is gearing up for his upcoming action drama movie, ‘Peddi’ directed by Buchi Baub Sana. Read More

Vashu SLAMS ‘Hai Jawani Toh Ishq’ producer Ramesh Taurani

Vashu Bhagnani has publicly rejected claims by ‘Hai Jawani Toh Ishq Hona Hai’ producer Ramesh Taurani that the ongoing legal dispute over a song allegedly lifted from ‘Biwi No. 1’ has been resolved. Read More

Idris Elba denies James Bond rumours

Idris Elba, best known for his acclaimed roles in ‘Luther’ and ‘The Wire’, is setting the record straight on one of Hollywood’s most persistent rumours. Read More

Related Articles