Thursday, May 21, 2026
43.1 C
New Delhi

Trump’s Golden Dome missile shield faces budget squeeze despite Pentagon push

Trump’s Golden Dome missile shield faces budget squeeze despite Pentagon push

Representative AI image

President Donald Trump’s ambitious Golden Dome homeland missile defense initiative is facing growing doubts over funding, congressional support and technical feasibility, even as top Pentagon officials insist the project is moving ahead, according to a report by Politico.Senior Pentagon officials gathered Thursday at Fort Story, Virginia, to showcase progress on the program, which aims to build a nationwide shield against threats ranging from intercontinental ballistic missiles to drones. But behind the public optimism, the project faces steep financial and political obstacles.The Golden Dome system is expected to cost anywhere between $185 billion and $3 trillion, while the Pentagon is seeking $17 billion through budget reconciliation next year and only $400 million through the normal appropriations process, Politico reported.That strategy is already drawing resistance from Republicans in Congress, who appear reluctant to rely on reconciliation ahead of crucial midterm elections.House Appropriations defense subcommittee chair Ken Calvert told Politico, “Is [reconciliation] the most efficient, effective way to spend money? In my mind, no.”The Golden Dome concept is designed to protect the United States from multiple threats using a network of existing and next-generation systems linked by artificial intelligence capable of sharing battlefield data in real time. Key components are expected to be operational by 2028 to meet Trump’s timeline.Leading the effort for the Pentagon, Gen. Mike Guetlein defended the program’s viability.“To the skeptics, let me say this,” Guetlein said. “Golden Dome is achievable. It is not a single point failure.” He added the project is intended to “strengthen global stability by creating profound doubt in the adversary’s mind. They will not win.”However, Guetlein acknowledged that many technologies involved remain classified and declined to provide a detailed spending breakdown.“I cannot tell you exactly where the money’s going,” he said, adding that the system would combine land, air and space-based assets. “We’re actually buying hardware. We are not doing prototypes.”Politico reported that one early component is already undergoing domestic testing. The Army’s Long-Range Persistent Surveillance system, installed at Fort Story, uses a 360-degree sensor array to detect cruise missiles, drones and aircraft.Lawmakers, however, have voiced frustration over the lack of detailed consultation from the administration.Representative George Whitesides said communication had not yet “reached the level of detailed spending plans.”“I’m okay with not pouring a ton of money out the door without having a pretty cohesive view of what it should do,” he said.Questions have also emerged over affordability. Guetlein recently warned lawmakers that space-based interceptors, considered a centerpiece of the shield, may be dropped if costs become excessive.“We are so focused on affordability.” Guetlein told the House Armed Services strategic forces subcommittee. “If we cannot do it affordably, we will not go into production.”Golden Dome received around $23 billion last year through a summer reconciliation package, but Politico said those funds were delayed, frustrating defense contractors seeking contracts.Jeff Hanke, president of space systems at L3Harris Technologies, said industry had hoped the process would move faster.“We just have to continue to work with them, share with them, help them go as fast as they can go.”The White House plans to shift Golden Dome into the base federal budget after 2027 through a dedicated “Golden Dome for America Fund,” with projected allocations rising to $14.7 billion in 2028, $15 billion in 2029, $16 billion in 2030, and $15.8 billion in 2031, Politico reported.For now, the future of Trump’s signature defense project depends heavily on a Republican-controlled Congress that remains cautious about another reconciliation battle. Acting Pentagon comptroller Jules Hurst said alternative options are already being considered.“We’ll go back to the White House and we’ll work with Congress to come up with a new strategy if the White House and Congress decide reconciliation is not the right [path],” Hurst said. Go to Source

Hot this week

Inter Kashi vs East Bengal LIVE Score: Red and Golds eye ISL 2026 title on dramatic final day

ISL 2026 title race, Inter Kashi vs East Bengal LIVE Score: With the ISL 2025-26 title race going down to the final day, East Bengal enter the match against Inter Kashi knowing that a win could take them very close to lifting the trophy. Read More

British radio Caroline apologises for accidental King Charles III death broadcast

King Charles A British radio station has apologised after mistakenly broadcasting that King Charles III had died due to what it described as a computer error, according to The Guardian. Read More

After Trump’s Beijing Trip, Xi May Now Visit North Korea Soon To Act As Mediator

South Korean presidential office, Cheong Wa Dae, said that Xi is highly likely to visit North Korea later this month or in early June. Read More

What Extreme Heat Does To The Body And How To Stay Safe

Rising temperatures across India are increasing the risk of dehydration and heat exhaustion among outdoor workers. Read More

GK: Which Is The Oldest Fruit In The World?

The fruit was cultivated by humans around 11,200-11,400 years ago. Read More

Topics

Inter Kashi vs East Bengal LIVE Score: Red and Golds eye ISL 2026 title on dramatic final day

ISL 2026 title race, Inter Kashi vs East Bengal LIVE Score: With the ISL 2025-26 title race going down to the final day, East Bengal enter the match against Inter Kashi knowing that a win could take them very close to lifting the trophy. Read More

British radio Caroline apologises for accidental King Charles III death broadcast

King Charles A British radio station has apologised after mistakenly broadcasting that King Charles III had died due to what it described as a computer error, according to The Guardian. Read More

After Trump’s Beijing Trip, Xi May Now Visit North Korea Soon To Act As Mediator

South Korean presidential office, Cheong Wa Dae, said that Xi is highly likely to visit North Korea later this month or in early June. Read More

What Extreme Heat Does To The Body And How To Stay Safe

Rising temperatures across India are increasing the risk of dehydration and heat exhaustion among outdoor workers. Read More

GK: Which Is The Oldest Fruit In The World?

The fruit was cultivated by humans around 11,200-11,400 years ago. Read More

TUI ends sponsorship of Channel 4’s Married at First Sight

“What we always try to avoid is being really specific about, ‘You can do this and you can’t do that’, because fundamentally the responsibility is with Channel 4 and its production company, or with ITV or BBC or whoever is prod Read More

IMD Extends Heatwave Warnings Till May 27 As Temperatures Continue To Soar

Intense heatwaves have swept most northern states, including Delhi, with temperatures now 3-6℃ above normal both day and night, leaving no time for the body to cool down Go to Source Read More

Sagittarius Horoscope Tomorrow, May 22, 2026: Financial Growth And Emotional Balance May Define This Phase

Sagittarius Horoscope: Hello, adventurous Sagittarius! Your boundless optimism, love for exploration, and thirst for knowledge make you the eternal seeker of the zodiac. Read More

Related Articles