Saturday, May 23, 2026
32.1 C
New Delhi

‘This is not a leaving speech’: Tim Davie rallies a shaken BBC as he prepares to step down

‘This is not a leaving speech’: Tim Davie rallies a shaken BBC as he prepares to step down

As Tim Davie is forced to step aside, the outgoing BBC director general left his staff with a firm message: “fight for our journalism,” he told employees on Tuesday, only days after Donald Trump threatened to sue the corporation for $1 billion over a Panorama programme.Speaking during a 40-minute internal call, Davie acknowledged the mounting pressure of the past week but tried to reassure staff that BBC would get through the crisis.Davie resigned on Sunday along with BBC News chief Deborah Turness. He admitted the corporation had made “some mistakes that have cost us” but said he remained “fiercely proud” of the organisation and the work its journalists do every day. He told the meeting that long-term arrangements for the news division would be confirmed soon and that the BBC Board was now in “succession mode” as it begins the process of finding his replacement.

How an ‘editorial breach’ cost BBC

This entire drama comes after a leaked internal memo accused Panorama of misleading viewers by splicing together two separate parts of Trump’s January 6, 2021, speech, creating the impression he had issued a direct call for violent action. Trump’s legal team has demanded a full retraction and “appropriate compensation” by Friday.Davie did not directly address the threat of legal action during the call, but he accepted there had been an “editorial breach” and said “responsibility had to be taken.” He also identified three reasons for his decision to step down: the relentlessness of the role, the upcoming Charter renewal and the pressures created by the Panorama controversy. “We did make a mistake,” he told staff, while repeating that he would not change anything about his time leading the corporation. “I have no regrets.”

‘We will get through it’: Davie

In his comments, Davie stressed that the BBC was in a strong position heading into Charter renewal in 2027. He insisted the government remained supportive of public institutions and said the BBC had “a very strong case” for its future. “These times are difficult for the BBC, but we will get through it,” he added.BBC chair Samir Shah joined Davie on the call and confirmed that no timeline had been set for Davie’s departure. Shah also apologised publicly on Monday for Panorama’s “error of judgement,” saying the spliced edit “did give the impression of a direct call for violent action.” Both he and Davie struck a determined and optimistic tone, with Shah repeating that BBC journalists should continue their work despite political pressures at home and abroad.

Trump’s demand ‘totally meaningless’

Furthermore, media experts have downplayed the MAGA chief’s demand. George Freeman, executive director of the Media Law Resource Center in New York, called the $1 billion threat “totally meaningless.” He said Trump has a long record of issuing libel threats that never become actual lawsuits and described such letters as attempts “to threaten and to scare media he doesn’t like.”

Panorama row ‘understandably contributed’ to Davie’s departure

Before the staff meeting, Davie told reporters outside the BBC’s London headquarters that he was “very proud of the journalists in this building” and that he was there “to lead and support them” through a difficult moment. He said the Panorama dispute was not the sole reason for his departure, but that it “understandably contributed” to his decision. He reminded staff that the BBC has weathered scandals before and said he believed it would “thrive” in the years ahead.

Moving on in an ‘orderly transition’

During the call, Davie also spoke about what comes next for the corporation and stressed that the BBC must “steer the course” and continue its work. He told staff, “This is not a leaving speech,” and made clear he will remain in post until an “orderly transition” is agreed with the Board. Addressing newsroom leadership after the resignation of Deborah Turness, he said her deputy Jonathan Munro “will be in charge and, at the moment, is in charge editorially in the newsroom. I think everyone’s clear about that.” Davie urged staff to focus on their jobs and support one another, saying, “We need to get on with our business and do our work. We need to look after each other, get through it, give everyone on the outside a clear message which is ‘look, it’s been difficult, two people have left, we move on.’” Go to Source

Hot this week

217 Indians joined Russian army, 49 dead, Centre tells SC

Russian army soldiers (Image credit: AP) NEW DELHI: Union govt has told SC that as many as 217 Indians had joined Russian forces, of which 49 died and six are missing in action in the ongoing Russia-Ukraine war. Read More

Crack down on fake education institutions, HC tells Centre

NEW DELHI: Delhi HC has asked the Centre to act against the mushrooming of fake higher education institutions, noting that they harm the prospects of genuine students. Read More

Only 6 states now have fertility rate above replacement level

India’s total fertility rate (TFR), or the average number of children a woman would have, has fallen even further to 1.9 from 2.1, according to the latest sample registration system (SRS) report of 2024. Read More

Ex-bureaucrats write to CJI over remarks on green litigants

NEW DELHI: In an open letter addressed to Chief Justice of India Surya Kant, over 70 retired civil servants have expressed concern over his recent remarks on environmental litigants during the hearing of an appeal against a National G Read More

PM Modi’s strength not just in policy, but also in trust he builds: Shivraj Singh Chouhan

NEW DELHI: Union minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan in his memoir, ‘Apnapan’, on his 35-year-long association with Narendra Modi has said the PM’s strength is not confined merely to his policies and programmes, but is po Read More

Topics

217 Indians joined Russian army, 49 dead, Centre tells SC

Russian army soldiers (Image credit: AP) NEW DELHI: Union govt has told SC that as many as 217 Indians had joined Russian forces, of which 49 died and six are missing in action in the ongoing Russia-Ukraine war. Read More

Crack down on fake education institutions, HC tells Centre

NEW DELHI: Delhi HC has asked the Centre to act against the mushrooming of fake higher education institutions, noting that they harm the prospects of genuine students. Read More

Only 6 states now have fertility rate above replacement level

India’s total fertility rate (TFR), or the average number of children a woman would have, has fallen even further to 1.9 from 2.1, according to the latest sample registration system (SRS) report of 2024. Read More

Ex-bureaucrats write to CJI over remarks on green litigants

NEW DELHI: In an open letter addressed to Chief Justice of India Surya Kant, over 70 retired civil servants have expressed concern over his recent remarks on environmental litigants during the hearing of an appeal against a National G Read More

PM Modi’s strength not just in policy, but also in trust he builds: Shivraj Singh Chouhan

NEW DELHI: Union minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan in his memoir, ‘Apnapan’, on his 35-year-long association with Narendra Modi has said the PM’s strength is not confined merely to his policies and programmes, but is po Read More

5-nation tour pacts to drive job growth: PM Modi

NEW DELHI: PM Narendra Modi said on Saturday that agreements yielded by his recent five-nation tour will unlock “new doors of new economy” for the youth, emphasising that India’s presence in fields of clean energy, c Read More

Punjab: Three injured after ruckus in Kapurthala jail as police use teargas, cane charge

Chandigarh, May 24 (PTI): After inmates ran amok in the Kapurthala jail due to a clash, authorities lobbed teargas shells and resorted to cane charge to restore order, officials said on Sunday. Read More

Major General among 3 Army officers survive Cheetah copter crash in Leh; selfie of May 20 accident goes viral

NEW DELHI: Three Indian Army officers had a narrow escape after their helicopter crashed in the mountainous Tangste near Leh in Ladakh. Read More

Related Articles