Saturday, May 23, 2026
34.1 C
New Delhi

Russian strikes on Odesa region injure 6, including children

Russian strikes on Odesa region injure 6, including children

Russia drone attack

Russian drones blasted apartment buildings and the power grid in the southern Ukraine city of Odesa in an overnight attack that injured six people, including a toddler and two other children, officials said Wednesday. The attack came as Russian President Vladimir Putin expressed confidence in his country’s eventual victory in the nearly four-year war against its neighbor. Four apartment buildings were damaged in the Odesa bombardment, according to regional military administration head Oleh Kiper. The DTEK power provider said two of its energy facilities suffered significant damage. The company said 10 substations that distribute electricity in the Odesa region have been damaged in December alone. Russia has this year escalated its long-range attacks on urban areas of Ukraine. In recent months, as Russia’s invasion of its neighbor approaches its four-year milestone in February, it has also intensified its targeting of energy infrastructure, seeking to deny Ukrainians heat and running water in the bitter winter months. Between January and November, more than 2,300 Ukrainian civilians were killed and more than 11,000 were injured, the United Nations said earlier this month. That was 26% higher than in the same period in 2024 and 70% higher than in 2023, it said. Russia’s sustained drone and missile attacks have taken place against backdrop of renewed diplomatic efforts to stop the fighting. U.S. President Donald Trump hosted Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy at his Florida resort on Sunday and announced that a settlement is “closer than ever before.” The Ukrainian leader is due to hold talks next week with the heads of European governments supporting his efforts to secure acceptable terms. Putin is convinced of victory in Ukraine Despite the progress in peace negotiations, which he didn’t mention, Putin reaffirmed his belief in Russia’s eventual success in its invasion of Ukraine as he gave his traditional New Year’s address to the nation Wednesday. He gave special praise to Russian troops deployed in Ukraine, describing them as heroes “fighting for your native land, truth and justice.” “We believe in you and our victory,” Putin said, as cited by Russian state news agency Tass. Putin delivered his recorded 3-1/2 minute speech against the backdrop of a snowy Kremlin, a tradition broken only in 2022 – the year the invasion began – when the Russian leader gave his address flanked by men and women in military fatigues. Russia claim Putin’s residence was attacked The ongoing long-range attacks, meantime, are inflaming tensions. The overnight Odesa strikes “are further evidence of the enemy’s terror tactics, which deliberately target civilian infrastructure,” Kiper, the regional head, said. Moscow has alleged that Ukraine attempted to attack Putin’s residence in northwestern Russia with 91 long-range drones late Sunday and early Monday. Ukrainian officials deny the claim and say it’s a ruse to derail progress in the peace negotiations. Maj. Gen. Alexander Romanenkov of the Russian air force claimed Wednesday that the drones took off from Ukraine’s Sumy and Chernihiv regions. At a briefing where no questions were allowed, he presented a map showing the drone flight routes before they were downed by Russian air defenses over the Bryansk, Tver, Smolensk and Novgorod regions. It was not possible to independently verify the reports. The European Union’s foreign policy chief, Kaja Kallas, on Wednesday called the Russian allegations “a deliberate distraction” from the peace talks. “No one should accept unfounded claims from the aggressor who has indiscriminately targeted Ukraine’s infrastructure and civilians since the start of the war,” Kallas posted on X. Ukraine weapons fund receives billions of dollars Zelenskyy said Wednesday that Romania and Croatia are the latest countries to join a fund that buys weapons for Ukraine from the United States. The financial arrangement, known as the Prioritized Ukraine Requirements List, or PURL, pools contributions from NATO members, except the United States, to purchase American weapons, munitions and equipment. Since it was established in August, 24 countries are now contributing to the fund, according to Zelenskyy. The fund has so far received $4.3 billion, with almost $1.5 billion coming in December alone, he said on social media. Ukraine’s air force said Wednesday that Russia fired 127 drones at the country during the night, with 101 of them intercepted by air defenses. Meanwhile, the Russian Defense Ministry said that 86 Ukrainian drones were shot down overnight over Russian regions, the Black Sea and the illegally annexed Crimea peninsula. The Ukrainian attack started a fire at an oil refinery in Russia’s southern Krasnodar region, but it was quickly put out, local authorities said. Go to Source

Hot this week

US, Iran move closer to 60-day ceasefire extension: What’s in the deal

The United States and Iran are moving closer towards extending their fragile ceasefire by another 60 days, with mediators working on an interim agreement that could create the framework for wider negotiations on Tehran’s nuclear progra Read More

Is United States on verge of a Maduro-like military intervention in Cuba?

The United States under President Donald Trump is intensifying pressure on Cuba in ways that analysts say increasingly resemble Washington’s approach towards Venezuela before the dramatic January operation that removed Venezuelan Presi Read More

‘Reprehensible Actions’: France Bans Israeli Security Minister Ben Gvir From Country

France bans Israeli minister Itamar Ben-Gvir from entering, citing reprehensible actions against a Gaza aid flotilla, Ben-Gvir condemns the move amid rising Israel Europe tensions Go to Source Read More

‘No Power Can Stop’: India To Become Biggest Exporter Of Arms In 25-30 Years, Says Rajnath Singh

Rajnath Singh inaugurates Shirdi ammunition plant, says India can become top defence exporter in 25 to 30 years, targets 50 percent private sector role in defence manufacturing Go to Source Read More

Quote of the day by Reese Witherspoon

More often than not we always take life as something that needs to be perfect. Read More

Topics

US, Iran move closer to 60-day ceasefire extension: What’s in the deal

The United States and Iran are moving closer towards extending their fragile ceasefire by another 60 days, with mediators working on an interim agreement that could create the framework for wider negotiations on Tehran’s nuclear progra Read More

Is United States on verge of a Maduro-like military intervention in Cuba?

The United States under President Donald Trump is intensifying pressure on Cuba in ways that analysts say increasingly resemble Washington’s approach towards Venezuela before the dramatic January operation that removed Venezuelan Presi Read More

‘Reprehensible Actions’: France Bans Israeli Security Minister Ben Gvir From Country

France bans Israeli minister Itamar Ben-Gvir from entering, citing reprehensible actions against a Gaza aid flotilla, Ben-Gvir condemns the move amid rising Israel Europe tensions Go to Source Read More

‘No Power Can Stop’: India To Become Biggest Exporter Of Arms In 25-30 Years, Says Rajnath Singh

Rajnath Singh inaugurates Shirdi ammunition plant, says India can become top defence exporter in 25 to 30 years, targets 50 percent private sector role in defence manufacturing Go to Source Read More

Quote of the day by Reese Witherspoon

More often than not we always take life as something that needs to be perfect. Read More

‘Foreigners Are Not Safe’: Fear Grows As Xenophobic Attacks Rise In South Africa

As attacks on migrants resurface in parts of South Africa, critics are questioning whether the government’s response to xenophobia is working. Read More

Supreme Court To Hear Suo Motu Case On Twisha Sharma Death Amid Questions Over Probe

Show Quick Read Key points generated by AI, verified by newsroom Supreme Court to review actor’s death amid investigation concerns. Family alleges dowry harassment; husband denies, claims suicide. Read More

Who Is Samarth Singh, The Lawyer At The Centre Of Twisha Sharma Death Investigation?

A Bhopal court on Saturday sent Samarth Singh, the husband of model and actor Twisha Sharma, to seven days of police custody in connection with her death case. Read More

Related Articles