Friday, May 22, 2026
35.1 C
New Delhi

‘Not criminally responsible’: Man with schizophrenia who killed British tourist declared unfit for trial

Man with schizophrenia not criminally responsible for killing British tourist in Australia

A man who fatally stabbed a British tourist in a regional Australian town has been found not criminally responsible due to mental illness. Royce Mallett, a 30-year-old father of two from County Durham, was attacked in the car park of a motel in Albury, New South Wales, on July 8, 2024.Court proceedings revealed that Mallett had just entered his car outside the Hume Inn when David Summers-Smith approached and, without saying a word, reached through the window and stabbed him once in the chest with a steak knife.Despite efforts by bystanders and paramedics, Mallett died shortly after the attack.

Court finds ‘act proven but not criminally responsible’

During the trial, Summers-Smith pleaded not guilty on the grounds of mental impairment. Justice Dina Yehia ruled that while he did commit the act, he could not be held criminally responsible because of his condition.In her judgment, the court accepted that Summers-Smith, who has schizophrenia, was experiencing a severe psychotic episode at the time and was unable to understand that his actions were wrong. The verdict was recorded as “act proven but not criminally responsible.”He has now been ordered to be held indefinitely in a mental health facility, with his condition to be periodically reviewed by the Mental Health Review Tribunal.

History of schizophrenia and substance use

The court heard that the 29-year-old had a long history of schizophrenia, with symptoms that had not responded effectively to treatment. He was under a community treatment order at the time of the incident.Psychiatrists testified that he was experiencing delusions and paranoia and lacked insight into his illness. In the lead-up to the attack, he had also been self-medicating with crystal methamphetamine (“ice”) and cannabis, which may have worsened his psychotic state.

Family’s grief and unanswered questions

Victim impact statements highlighted the devastating toll on Mallett’s family. His partner, Caitlin O’Keeffe, said she now faces raising their two children alone, adding that the loss would affect “every future moment that he should have been part of.”Mallett’s father described losing not just a son but his “best friend,” saying he now struggles to find joy or motivation in daily life.The family also questioned how Summers-Smith, given his treatment-resistant schizophrenia, had been allowed to remain in the community.Summers-Smith will remain in secure psychiatric care, with authorities monitoring any signs of recovery. The tribunal has the authority to revise his detention order depending on his mental health progress.Justice Yehia noted that the single act of violence was “both catastrophic and tragic,” leaving lasting consequences for all involved. Go to Source

Hot this week

India, Cyprus upgrade ties, sign pact to counter terror

NEW DELHI: India and Cyprus upgraded their ties to a strategic partnership, launched a roadmap for defence cooperation and signed an MoU for establishing a joint working group on counterterrorism as PM Narendra Modi hosted President N Read More

Will bring back Sunali’s hubby, Centre tells SC

NEW DELHI: After bringing back a pregnant woman, Sunali, and her 8-yr-old son, the Centre Friday told the Supreme Court that it would bring back in 10 days four others, including her husband, from Bangladesh where they were deported b Read More

Rajya Sabha polls for 24 seats on June 18; Mallikarjun Kharge, HD Deve Gowda set to retire

New Delhi: Congress is set to go unrepresented from Gujarat in Rajya Sabha for the first time as Election Commission announced polls for 24 seats in the House on June 18. Read More

India scores high on breastfeeding code: WHO

Countries substantially aligned with the International Code of Marketing of Breast-milk Substitutes report exclusive breastfeeding rates of 54%, compared with 24% in countries with no legal measures. Read More

SC lifts life ban on 3 professors in NCERT textbook row

NEW DELHI: Accepting the explanation of three academics – Prof Michel Danino, Suparna Diwakar and Alok Prasanna Kumar, the Supreme Court Friday lifted the life ban on their association with academic exercises in govt-run univer Read More

Topics

India, Cyprus upgrade ties, sign pact to counter terror

NEW DELHI: India and Cyprus upgraded their ties to a strategic partnership, launched a roadmap for defence cooperation and signed an MoU for establishing a joint working group on counterterrorism as PM Narendra Modi hosted President N Read More

Will bring back Sunali’s hubby, Centre tells SC

NEW DELHI: After bringing back a pregnant woman, Sunali, and her 8-yr-old son, the Centre Friday told the Supreme Court that it would bring back in 10 days four others, including her husband, from Bangladesh where they were deported b Read More

Rajya Sabha polls for 24 seats on June 18; Mallikarjun Kharge, HD Deve Gowda set to retire

New Delhi: Congress is set to go unrepresented from Gujarat in Rajya Sabha for the first time as Election Commission announced polls for 24 seats in the House on June 18. Read More

India scores high on breastfeeding code: WHO

Countries substantially aligned with the International Code of Marketing of Breast-milk Substitutes report exclusive breastfeeding rates of 54%, compared with 24% in countries with no legal measures. Read More

SC lifts life ban on 3 professors in NCERT textbook row

NEW DELHI: Accepting the explanation of three academics – Prof Michel Danino, Suparna Diwakar and Alok Prasanna Kumar, the Supreme Court Friday lifted the life ban on their association with academic exercises in govt-run univer Read More

US state secretary Marco Rubio to meet PM Modi today, hold bilateral with EAM tomorrow

NEW DELHI: US secretary of state Marco Rubio will call on PM Narendra Modi on Saturday, ahead of his bilateral meeting with counterpart S Jaishankar on Sunday and the Quad foreign ministers’ meeting on Tuesday. Read More

Hearing-impaired boy from West Bengal reunited with family after 2 years

Lucknow, May 22 (PTI): A 13-year-old hearing-impaired boy, who was missing from his home in West Bengal for nearly two years, was reunited with his family on Friday, through the efforts of a government shelter home here, an official statement said. Read More

‘Go home’ for Green Card rule: Immigration attorney Rahul Reddy explains what H-1B visa holders should do now

Immigration attorney Rahul Reddy explains what H-1B visa holders applying for Green Cards should do. Read More

Related Articles