Monday, May 18, 2026
33.1 C
New Delhi

Mayoral shake-up: NYC mayor Eric Adams ends reelection bid; clears way for three-way race

Mayoral shake-up: NYC mayor Eric Adams ends reelection bid; clears way for three-way race

Eric Adams (AP)

New York City mayor Eric Adams has ended his reelection bid, paving the way for a three-way race between Queens Assemblyman Zohran Mamdani, former Governor Andrew Cuomo, and Guardian Angels founder Curtis Sliwa to lead the nation’s largest city.Adams, who assumed office in January 2022, announced his withdrawal through a video posted on social media on Sunday, though his name will still remain on the November ballot. “It has been my honor to be your mayor,” he said. Speculation about Adams’ political future had intensified in recent months, with most polls showing him in single digits, trailing Mamdani, Cuomo, and Sliwa. He was also facing a corruption scandal and criticism over his ties to the Trump administration, as cited by CBS News. On September 5, reports emerged that the Trump administration was considering Adams for the role of US ambassador to Saudi Arabia. Adams responded that he had not received a formal offer and remained committed to serving as New York City’s mayor.Earlier in 2025, the Justice Department, under Trump, intervened to drop federal corruption charges against Adams, which alleged he solicited and accepted illegal gifts and campaign contributions from wealthy foreign donors, including the Turkish government, as reported by USA Today. The mayor previously dismissed speculation that he might abandon his reelection campaign. He also emphasised that he is the only one who can defeat Mandani. “I am in this race. And I am the only one who can beat Mamdani,” Adams said.Trump commented on the broader mayoral race earlier, suggesting that Cuomo would stand a better chance against Zohran Mamdani in a head-to-head contest. However, he noted that with multiple candidates in the race, defeating Mamdani would be difficult.Trump has previously expressed opposition to Mamdani, 33, becoming mayor of New York City, and said he would prefer that Cuomo and Republican Curtis Sliwa step aside to allow a direct matchup against Mamdani.

Go to Source

Hot this week

Trump Says ‘Very Good Chance’ Of Nuclear Deal, After Delaying Strikes On Iran

Donald Trump says there is a very good chance of a US Iran nuclear deal, reveals he delayed a planned military strike after Gulf leaders urged more time for negotiations. Read More

AIADMK veteran Semmalai quits, ex-DMK min PTR takes a break

CHENNAI: Signs of unrest within Dravidian majors after the recent Tamil Nadu assembly poll debacle intensified Monday, even as DMK president MK Stalin and AIADMK chief Edappadi K Palaniswami (EPS) assured cadres the two parties woul Read More

India now Naxal-free: HM

Home minister Amit Shah on Monday said the Union govt would do whatever it takes for the region to recoup the loss of over five decades worth of development in three to five years. Read More

Anti-Naxal security camps turn ‘seva deras’ in Bastar

JAGDALPUR: With Left-wing extremism (LWE) crushed, the camps set up by the security forces in the remote Bastar region to run anti-Naxal operations are being repurposed to serve the local population with doorstep delivery of a range o Read More

On Prabhakaran death anniv, Vijay backs SL Tamils’ rights

CHENNAI: Tamil Nadu chief minister C Joseph Vijay on Monday expressed solidarity with the global Tamil diaspora on the occasion of Mullivaikkal Remembrance Day. Read More

Topics

Trump Says ‘Very Good Chance’ Of Nuclear Deal, After Delaying Strikes On Iran

Donald Trump says there is a very good chance of a US Iran nuclear deal, reveals he delayed a planned military strike after Gulf leaders urged more time for negotiations. Read More

AIADMK veteran Semmalai quits, ex-DMK min PTR takes a break

CHENNAI: Signs of unrest within Dravidian majors after the recent Tamil Nadu assembly poll debacle intensified Monday, even as DMK president MK Stalin and AIADMK chief Edappadi K Palaniswami (EPS) assured cadres the two parties woul Read More

India now Naxal-free: HM

Home minister Amit Shah on Monday said the Union govt would do whatever it takes for the region to recoup the loss of over five decades worth of development in three to five years. Read More

Anti-Naxal security camps turn ‘seva deras’ in Bastar

JAGDALPUR: With Left-wing extremism (LWE) crushed, the camps set up by the security forces in the remote Bastar region to run anti-Naxal operations are being repurposed to serve the local population with doorstep delivery of a range o Read More

On Prabhakaran death anniv, Vijay backs SL Tamils’ rights

CHENNAI: Tamil Nadu chief minister C Joseph Vijay on Monday expressed solidarity with the global Tamil diaspora on the occasion of Mullivaikkal Remembrance Day. Read More

Ex-min faces FIR over Messi’s Kolkata event

Based on a complaint by Lionel Messi’s India tour organiser, Satadru Dutta, an FIR was filed on Monday against Bengal’s former sports minister Aroop Biswas, ex-DGP Rajeev Kumar, New Alipore councillor Juin Biswas, and IAS officer Sant Read More

Govinda’s security gets into altercation with fan; actor apologises

Govinda just proved to fans why he is the ultimate “Hero No. 1”.The actor has gone viral on social media after a video of him stepping in to save the day has gone viral online. Read More

US pharma co denied patent on hepatitis C combo therapy

. NEW DELHI: The Indian Patent Office has refused to grant a patent to US pharmaceutical firm AbbVie on its Hepatitis C combination therapy glecaprevir/pibrentasvir, marketed globally as Mavyret. Read More

Related Articles