Sunday, February 22, 2026
18.1 C
New Delhi

‘Justice delayed does not mean…’: How Indian-origin Ganesh Shenoy was extradited to US, 20 years after he fled to Mumbai following fatal car crash

'Justice delayed does not mean...': How Indian-origin Ganesh Shenoy was extradited to US, 20 years after he fled to Mumbai following fatal car crash

Ganesh Shenoy has been brought back to the US from India to face the consequence of a car crash that he allegedly caused in 2005 killing one in New York’s Hicksville.

54-year-old Ganesh Shenoy was extradited to the US from India after two decades of legal battle as Shenoy fled to Mumvai in 2005, soon after he allegedly caused a deadly car crash in Hicksville in which a Long Island father was killed. Between 2005 and 2025, Shenoy was legally fighting extradition to the US, but ultimately, he exhausted all his options and was sent back to the US to face trial. On September 26, he was arraigned before Judge Helene Gugerty on an indictment charge of Manslaughter in the Second Degree. Shenoy pleaded not guilty and was remanded. If convicted, he could face up to five to 15 years in prison.

What happened in 2005?

On April 11, 2005, Shenoy drove through a red light at the intersection of Levittown Parkway and Old Country Road in Hicksville at a high rate of speed and crashed into a Cadillac driven by 44-year-old Philip Mastropolo, who was heading to work. The crash took place at 6 am. Shenot was allegedly driving twice the speed limit at the time of the crash. From the impact of the crash, Mastropolo’s car skidded 65 feet into the front of a Freightliner box truck that was stopped at the red light on the other side of the intersection.Mastropolo was pronounced dead at the scene and Shenoy was taken to a nearby hospital, but he refused treatment and left the hospital. Shenoy initially lied to investigators and told them that he had a green light. Though his Indian passport and his New York State Driver’s License were seized by the police, 14 days after the crash, Shenoy reportedly boarded a plane at John F Kennedy International Airport and headed to Mumbai. Since then, he never returned to the US.

How was Shenoy extradited?

According to Nassau County District Attorney Anne Donnelly, the extradition, the first from India to Nassau County since 2017, became possible because of the cooperation between the US Department of Justice, US Marshals Service and the US Embassy in India. “Justice delayed does not mean justice denied,” Donnelly said in a statement. “For nearly two decades, this defendant evaded accountability while a family grieved. Thanks to international cooperation, we can now ensure that he faces the consequences of his alleged actions.”“After decades of evading law enforcement and dodging prosecution, my office finally returned this defendant to the United States to answer for the tragic death of a husband and father of two more than 20 years ago,” said DA Donnelly. “Just two weeks after Ganesh Shenoy allegedly sped through a red light, rammed into 44-year-old Philip Mastropolo’s car and killed him, the defendant fled to India and never looked back. For decades, Philip’s family has lived with the pain of his loss and the knowledge that the man responsible for his death was half a world away. But not anymore. Ganesh Shenoy will be held responsible for his alleged actions, and my office will get justice for Philip and his family.”

Go to Source

Hot this week

Danish military evacuates US submarine crew amid tensions over Trump’s Greenland takeover push

In a humanitarian gesture amid simmering geopolitical tensions, Denmark’s military evacuated a crew member from a US submarine near Greenland for urgent medical treatment, even as US President Donald Trump’s proposal to send a hospita Read More

Mexico mayhem after El Mencho killed: Leaked message claims cartel threatens violence against civilians, sets deadline

As several states in Mexico erupted in unprecedented chaos as the Jalisco New Generation Cartel, CJNG, retaliated the death of their boss El Mencho, a leaked message claimed that the cartel has ordered its cadre to be prepared for an a Read More

UK MP seeks treason probe into Prince Andrew over Epstein links, govt eyes removal from royal succession

A senior Conservative MP has called for a possible treason investigation into Prince Andrew after his arrest over alleged links with disgraced financier Jeffrey Epstein, as the UK government signalled it is considering removing him fr Read More

Was Trump behind Mexican druglord El Mencho’s death? MAGA ally claims ‘US-supported operation’

A controversial claim has surfaced on social media suggesting that the United States was directly involved in the killing of one of Mexico’s most powerful drug lords, though officials have not confirmed this. Read More

Mexico’s most wanted drug lord ‘El Mencho’ killed in military operation

Nemesio Oseguera Cervantes, known as “El Mencho”, is head of one of Mexico’s most powerful drug cartels. Read More

Topics

Danish military evacuates US submarine crew amid tensions over Trump’s Greenland takeover push

In a humanitarian gesture amid simmering geopolitical tensions, Denmark’s military evacuated a crew member from a US submarine near Greenland for urgent medical treatment, even as US President Donald Trump’s proposal to send a hospita Read More

Mexico mayhem after El Mencho killed: Leaked message claims cartel threatens violence against civilians, sets deadline

As several states in Mexico erupted in unprecedented chaos as the Jalisco New Generation Cartel, CJNG, retaliated the death of their boss El Mencho, a leaked message claimed that the cartel has ordered its cadre to be prepared for an a Read More

UK MP seeks treason probe into Prince Andrew over Epstein links, govt eyes removal from royal succession

A senior Conservative MP has called for a possible treason investigation into Prince Andrew after his arrest over alleged links with disgraced financier Jeffrey Epstein, as the UK government signalled it is considering removing him fr Read More

Was Trump behind Mexican druglord El Mencho’s death? MAGA ally claims ‘US-supported operation’

A controversial claim has surfaced on social media suggesting that the United States was directly involved in the killing of one of Mexico’s most powerful drug lords, though officials have not confirmed this. Read More

Mexico’s most wanted drug lord ‘El Mencho’ killed in military operation

Nemesio Oseguera Cervantes, known as “El Mencho”, is head of one of Mexico’s most powerful drug cartels. Read More

Iran: Nuclear talks withTrump’s envoy to resume this week

Vehicles drive by the Azadi (Freedom) monument in Tehran, Iran (AP Photo) DUBAI: The next round of talks between the United States and Iran will be Thursday in Geneva, Oman’s foreign minister said Sunday, shortly after Tehran& Read More

Who killed Mexican drug lord El Mencho? Air Canada suspends operation in Puerto Vallarta; tourists asked to stay inside resorts

Hours after drug lord Nemesio Rubén Oseguera Cervantes, also known as El Mencho, was killed, massive chaos broke out in several Mexican states. Read More

Related Articles