Sunday, May 24, 2026
32.1 C
New Delhi

‘I’ve studied assassinations’: Trump on why White House dinner shooting keeps happening to him

'I've studied assassinations': Trump on why White House dinner shooting keeps happening to him

US President Donald Trump said he has “studied assassinations” and suggested that leaders who make the biggest impact are often targeted, after a shooting scare disrupted the White House Correspondents’ Dinner in Washington on Saturday night.Trump made the remarks while speaking to reporters after a shooter rushed the media gala venue, triggering panic and a major security response.“I ask respectfully, why do you think this keeps happening to you?” a reporter asked Trump after the chaotic incident.Trump responded by linking the attacks to what he described as his influence as president.“Well, you know, I’ve studied assassinations,” Trump said. “And I must tell you the most impactful people, the people that do the most — you take a look at Abraham Lincoln… the people that make the biggest impact, they’re the ones that they go after.”“I hate to say I’m honored by that, but I’ve done a lot,” Trump added. “We’ve changed this country, and there are a lot of people that are not happy about that. So I think that’s the answer.”Trump, who survived an assassination attempt during an election rally in 2024, also reflected on the personal risks of political life.“I lead a pretty normal life, considering, you know, it’s a dangerous life,” he said. “A lot of other people, you know, you read stories where they become basket cases. To be honest, I’m not a basket case.”Despite his often combative relationship with the media, Trump adopted a softer tone toward journalists after the incident and said the atmosphere following the scare was marked by unity.He said there was “a tremendous amount of love and coming together” after the shooting disrupted the event.Trump also said he had prepared what he described as the “most inappropriate speech ever made” for the dinner, but joked that he would now be “very boring” when the event is rescheduled.The president also used the moment to criticise the security of the Washington Hilton, where the correspondents’ dinner was held, and renewed his push for the new ballroom under construction at the White House.Trump said the hotel was “not particularly secure” and that the incident demonstrated the need for the planned $400 million White House ballroom.

Go to Source

Hot this week

‘He got arrogant’: Magnus Carlsen slammed for stepping away from World Championship cycle

Former world champion has criticised Magnus Carlsen for stepping away from the World Chess Championship cycle, calling it arrogance and saying the Norwegian star made a mistake after dominating classical chess for years. Read More

White House gunfire scare: Footage shows journalists running for shelter

Tension gripped the White House complex on Sunday after series of gunfire were heard near the presidential compound, forcing journalists to rush into secure shelter areas while heavily armed law enforcement personnel sealed off parts Read More

SpaceX’s Starship flight hits most targets in pre-IPO test

STARBASE: SpaceX completed a largely successful test flight of its next-generation Starship rocket on Friday, deploying a clutch of mock satellites and executing a controlled splashdown in the Indian Ocean in a high-stakes debut of th Read More

Two people shot in Secret Service gun encounter near the White House, suspect taken to hospital

Two people were shot during an encounter with Secret Service near the White House on Saturday, sparking concerns about the safety of US President Donald Trump. Read More

Iran Israel War Live Updates: Trump says US-Iran agreement is ‘largely negotiated’, details to be announced soon

Iran Israel War Live Updates: US President Donald Trump said a deal with Iran had been “largely negotiated,” with the proposal including opening the crucial Strait of Hormuz, though the agreement was “subject to finalisation. Read More

Topics

‘He got arrogant’: Magnus Carlsen slammed for stepping away from World Championship cycle

Former world champion has criticised Magnus Carlsen for stepping away from the World Chess Championship cycle, calling it arrogance and saying the Norwegian star made a mistake after dominating classical chess for years. Read More

White House gunfire scare: Footage shows journalists running for shelter

Tension gripped the White House complex on Sunday after series of gunfire were heard near the presidential compound, forcing journalists to rush into secure shelter areas while heavily armed law enforcement personnel sealed off parts Read More

SpaceX’s Starship flight hits most targets in pre-IPO test

STARBASE: SpaceX completed a largely successful test flight of its next-generation Starship rocket on Friday, deploying a clutch of mock satellites and executing a controlled splashdown in the Indian Ocean in a high-stakes debut of th Read More

Two people shot in Secret Service gun encounter near the White House, suspect taken to hospital

Two people were shot during an encounter with Secret Service near the White House on Saturday, sparking concerns about the safety of US President Donald Trump. Read More

Iran Israel War Live Updates: Trump says US-Iran agreement is ‘largely negotiated’, details to be announced soon

Iran Israel War Live Updates: US President Donald Trump said a deal with Iran had been “largely negotiated,” with the proposal including opening the crucial Strait of Hormuz, though the agreement was “subject to finalisation. Read More

Heavenly, Dramatic And Unmissable: Aishwarya Rai Bachchan’s Stunning Cannes 2026 Red Carpet Looks

From regal whites to dramatic silhouettes, Aishwarya Rai Bachchan once again turned Cannes 2026 into her personal runway and left the internet completely mesmerised. Read More

Site, web accounts blocked, says Cockroach Janta Party founder

NEW DELHI: Cockroach Janta Party (CJP), the online satirical movement, claimed another setback on Saturday after founder Abhijeet Dipke said the outfit’s official website had been taken down by the Centre, days after its main X Read More

217 Indians joined Russian army, 49 dead, Centre tells SC

Russian army soldiers (Image credit: AP) NEW DELHI: Union govt has told SC that as many as 217 Indians had joined Russian forces, of which 49 died and six are missing in action in the ongoing Russia-Ukraine war. Read More

Related Articles