Sunday, May 24, 2026
39.1 C
New Delhi

Gaza future: Netanyahu accepts Trump’s invitation to ‘Board of Peace’

Gaza future: Netanyahu accepts Donald Trump’s invitation to ‘Board of Peace’; how Israel's participation plays out

File photo: Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu with US President Donald Trump (Picture credit: AP)

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Wednesday said he had agreed to join US President Donald Trump’s proposed “Board of Peace”, marking a shift from his earlier criticism of the body overseeing the Gaza ceasefire.The decision comes after Netanyahu’s office had objected to the composition of the Gaza executive committee, saying it was not coordinated with Israel and ran “contrary to its policy”, without detailing specific concerns. The committee includes Turkey, a key regional rival of Israel, which had drawn criticism from Netanyahu’s aides earlier.The board, chaired by Trump, was initially envisioned as a small group of world leaders overseeing the Gaza ceasefire plan. However, its scope has since expanded, with Trump extending invitations to dozens of countries and suggesting the body could broker global conflicts in the future.As per news agency AP, Netanyahu’s move could create political friction at home. Far-right allies in his coalition, including finance minister Bezalel Smotrich, have criticised the board and called for Israel to take unilateral responsibility for Gaza’s future. Trump’s announcement comes as he travels to the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, where he is expected to provide more details on the board. When asked earlier this week whether the board could replace the United Nations, Trump said, “It might,” while also adding that the UN should continue because “the potential is so great”, a remark that has sparked controversy.France has publicly pushed back against the idea. French foreign minister Jean-Noel Barrot said Paris supports Trump’s peace plan but opposes creating an organisation that would replace the UN.

Who has joined — and who is yet to decide

According to AP, countries that have agreed to join the board include the United Arab Emirates, Morocco, Vietnam, Belarus, Hungary, Kazakhstan and Argentina, along with Israel. Others, including the United Kingdom, Egypt, Russia, Turkey and the European Union’s executive arm, have said they received invitations but have not yet responded.Prime Minister Modi has also received an invitation.Under the ceasefire deal, the Gaza executive committee will oversee the second phase of the agreement, including deploying an international security force, disarming Hamas and rebuilding Gaza, while supervising a committee of Palestinian technocrats to manage day-to-day affairs. Go to Source

Hot this week

‘Will Break Naval Blockade’: Iran Threantens Withdrawal From NPT If ‘Enemy’ Attacks On Hormuz

Iran warns it may quit NPT and break any naval blockade if the Strait of Hormuz is attacked, as Trump touts a near Iran peace deal and talks continue over sanctions and blockades. Read More

Congress Vs Congress: Manickam Tagore Slams Karnataka Govt’s Move On Mekedatu Reservoir

Congress MP Manickam Tagore opposed Karnataka’s move to implement the Mekedatu reservoir project, calling it a “direct assault” on Tamil Nadu’s riparian rights. Read More

11 Drown In River Near Karnataka’s Bhatkal, Siddaramaiah Announces Rs 5 Lakh Ex Gratia

The group had gone to the beach to collect shellfish when the tragedy occurred. CM Siddaramaiah, President Murmu and VP CP Radhakrishnan condoled the deaths. Read More

Erika Jayne settles USD 25 million bankruptcy lawsuit

Erika Jayne had been making headlines over a bankruptcy lawsuit, with one of the first trial hearings scheduled to take place in the coming days. Read More

Big B’s Sunday darshan outside Jalsa turns chaotic after fan faints

Megastar Amitabh Bachchan’s weekly Sunday darshan outside his Mumbai residence, Jalsa, witnessed a tense moment this weekend after a fan reportedly fainted amid the huge crowd gathered to see the actor. Read More

Topics

‘Will Break Naval Blockade’: Iran Threantens Withdrawal From NPT If ‘Enemy’ Attacks On Hormuz

Iran warns it may quit NPT and break any naval blockade if the Strait of Hormuz is attacked, as Trump touts a near Iran peace deal and talks continue over sanctions and blockades. Read More

Congress Vs Congress: Manickam Tagore Slams Karnataka Govt’s Move On Mekedatu Reservoir

Congress MP Manickam Tagore opposed Karnataka’s move to implement the Mekedatu reservoir project, calling it a “direct assault” on Tamil Nadu’s riparian rights. Read More

11 Drown In River Near Karnataka’s Bhatkal, Siddaramaiah Announces Rs 5 Lakh Ex Gratia

The group had gone to the beach to collect shellfish when the tragedy occurred. CM Siddaramaiah, President Murmu and VP CP Radhakrishnan condoled the deaths. Read More

Erika Jayne settles USD 25 million bankruptcy lawsuit

Erika Jayne had been making headlines over a bankruptcy lawsuit, with one of the first trial hearings scheduled to take place in the coming days. Read More

Big B’s Sunday darshan outside Jalsa turns chaotic after fan faints

Megastar Amitabh Bachchan’s weekly Sunday darshan outside his Mumbai residence, Jalsa, witnessed a tense moment this weekend after a fan reportedly fainted amid the huge crowd gathered to see the actor. Read More

Man City vs Aston Villa LIVE Score: Pep Guardiola makes final appearance at Etihad as Manchester City manager

Man City vs Aston Villa LIVE Score: Pep Guardiola had already confirmed his departure from Manchester City at the end of the ongoing season, and will be managing the seven-time Premier League champions one last time when they host Aston Villa at the Read More

Promised to return for dinner, never came back: Indian-origin man killed in NZ highway crash

Ramandeep Dhillon and his family often spent time outdoors An Indian-origin father of one has died after a tragic two-vehicle crash while working a late evening Uber shift in New Zealand, leaving his family devastated. Read More

India sends emergency medical aid to Africa amid growing Ebola outbreak concerns

WHO and Africa CDC have declared the Ebola situation in parts of Central and East Africa a major public health emergency, prompting heightened surveillance and travel advisories. Read More

Related Articles