Thursday, February 19, 2026
23.1 C
New Delhi

From prince to just Andrew, why King Charles III stripped off brother’s royal titles

From prince to just Andrew, why King Charles III stripped off brother's royal titles

File photo

“Prince Andrew will now be known as Andrew Mountbatten Windsor,” Buckingham Palace said last year. His elder brother King Charles III’s decision to strip him off the royal titles came in the wake of scandal surrounding his ties to Jeffrey Epstein. It began with a photograph. In March 2001, he was pictured in London with Virginia Giuffre — then known as Virginia Roberts — and Ghislaine Maxwell, in an image allegedly taken by convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein. At the time, the photo drew little public attention. That would change years later, as Epstein’s criminal history resurfaced and allegations against powerful associates intensified.

-

Image credit: Nina (@ShakeLS X account) Scrutiny deepened in December 2010 when Andrew was photographed walking with Epstein in New York’s Central Park, shortly after Epstein’s release from prison following a sexual offence conviction. The image triggered backlash in Britain. In 2011, the Daily Mail published an interview with Giuffre alongside the 2001 photograph. Although the article stopped short of directly accusing Andrew of misconduct, it propelled allegations into mainstream. Days later, Andrew allegedly emailed Epstein saying “we’re in this together” and “we’ll play some more soon,” referencing the negative press — messages that would later resurface in court filings, ABC news reported. The controversy escalated in January 2015, when allegations that Andrew had sex with a minor were made public as part of a US lawsuit involving Epstein. That same month, the Daily Mail identified Giuffre as the alleged victim and detailed the claims. Andrew repeatedly denied wrongdoing. Matters intensified again in July 2019 when Epstein was arrested on sex trafficking charges. After Epstein was found dead in his jail cell in August 2019, attention shifted sharply to his high-profile connections.

Andrew decides to step back from public duties

In November 2019, Andrew sought to quell the storm with a lengthy television interview on the BBC, denying the sexual abuse allegations, questioning the authenticity of the 2001 photograph and asserting that he had cut ties with Epstein in December 2010. The interview was widely criticized. Within days, Andrew announced he would step back from public duties “for the foreseeable future,” acknowledging that his association with Epstein had become “a major disruption” to the royal family.

Ex-prince stripped off military titles, royal patronages

Legal pressure mounted in September 2021 when Giuffre filed a civil sexual assault lawsuit against Andrew in the United States. Although British police said in October 2021 they would take no further action after reviewing available evidence, a US judge in January 2022 rejected Andrew’s attempt to dismiss the civil case. Shortly afterward, he was stripped of his honorary military titles and royal patronages, though he retained his status as a prince and the Duke of York.In 2022 he agreed to pay Giuffre millions of dollars to settle her civil sexual assault lawsuit against him. The fallout continued in subsequent years. In 2024, reports emerged that Andrew would have to personally fund the upkeep of the 30-room Royal Lodge if he wished to remain there. Later disclosures in 2025 of court documents revealing an email stating “we’re in this together” — believed by British media to have been sent by Andrew — reignited scrutiny.

Giuffre dies

The death of Virginia Giuffre in April 2025, described by her family as a “fierce warrior in the fight against sexual abuse and sex trafficking,” closed a tragic chapter but did little to quiet debate over Andrew’s conduct and the monarchy’s handling of the scandal. Taken together, the sequence of allegations, legal battles and public missteps gradually eroded Andrew’s official role within the royal family.Andrew was arrested on Thursday, his 66th birthday, on suspicion of misconduct in public office as part of an investigation linked to his association with Jeffrey Epstein. He is believed to be the first senior member of the modern British royal family to be taken into police custody. Born in 1960, Andrew was the second son of Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip, while his older brother Charles was heir to the throne. Like many younger royal sons before him, Andrew followed a traditional path into military service, only to be stripped off those titles later. While he remains a prince by birth, the Epstein saga effectively ended his public career — a dramatic fall precipitated not by a single event, but by years of mounting controversy.The ongoing police inquiry comes after newly released files connected to Jeffrey Epstein indicating that Andrew may have shared official government documents with the financier during his time as a trade envoy. He has not been charged with any offence and has consistently denied any wrongdoing in relation to his ties to Epstein.

-

Undated photo, released and redacted by the US DoJ as part of Epstein files. Andrew leaning over an unidentified person (Image credit: AP) Go to Source

Hot this week

Two Indian Workers Thrashed, Targeted In Racial Attack In Israel; Accused Held

Two Indian workers faced racial abuse and were thrashed in Ashkelon city near the Gaza border. Officials confirmed on Thursday that the perpetrators have been arrested. Read More

Want To Add Vegetarian Protein To Your Meals? Try This Creamy Soya Gravy Recipe

This easy recipe for a continental soya gravy is creamy and cheesy, and adds 24 grams of protein to your meals. Read More

London fashion week opens with tribute to one of its greats

London Fashion Week, better known for nurturing new talent than for its big-name shows, kicks off on Thursday with a tribute to one of its stalwarts Paul Costelloe. Read More

Sabarimala Ghee Case: HC Pulls Up Temple Authorities Over Poor Record-Keeping, 33 Named Accused

The court said that it was shocking to see the careless and casual way in which records were kept and the revenue from the sale of sacred offerings was accounted for. Read More

Israeli government installed security equipment, controlled access to Epstein’s Manhattan apartment used by ex-PM Barak

An investigation published by Drop Site News reported that the Israeli govt installed security equipment and controlled access to a Manhattan apartment building which was managed by the late sex offender Jeffrey Epstein. Read More

Topics

Two Indian Workers Thrashed, Targeted In Racial Attack In Israel; Accused Held

Two Indian workers faced racial abuse and were thrashed in Ashkelon city near the Gaza border. Officials confirmed on Thursday that the perpetrators have been arrested. Read More

Want To Add Vegetarian Protein To Your Meals? Try This Creamy Soya Gravy Recipe

This easy recipe for a continental soya gravy is creamy and cheesy, and adds 24 grams of protein to your meals. Read More

London fashion week opens with tribute to one of its greats

London Fashion Week, better known for nurturing new talent than for its big-name shows, kicks off on Thursday with a tribute to one of its stalwarts Paul Costelloe. Read More

Sabarimala Ghee Case: HC Pulls Up Temple Authorities Over Poor Record-Keeping, 33 Named Accused

The court said that it was shocking to see the careless and casual way in which records were kept and the revenue from the sale of sacred offerings was accounted for. Read More

Israeli government installed security equipment, controlled access to Epstein’s Manhattan apartment used by ex-PM Barak

An investigation published by Drop Site News reported that the Israeli govt installed security equipment and controlled access to a Manhattan apartment building which was managed by the late sex offender Jeffrey Epstein. Read More

‘Yes, Frisco has changed’: Indian-origin woman speaks up at US city council meeting amid racial attack, targeting of H-1Bs

The latest council meeting (February 17) of Frisco, a Texas city, again turned into a charade of blaming India for the changing landscape of the city, with speakers calling out H-1Bs and Indian takeover. Read More

Macron calls India’s Rafale co-production ‘legitimate,’ urges Europe to strengthen defence industries

Macron on Thursday praised India’s push for localised Rafale production under ‘Make in India’ and highlighted long-term strategic and economic gains, while urging European countries to consolidate their defence sectors to remain globally competitive Read More

Meloni criticises judicial rulings as Italy prepares for legal reforms’ referendum

Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni has accused the judiciary of “absurd” interference following court rulings that compensated a migrant charity and a convicted individual. Read More

Related Articles