Friday, February 20, 2026
15.1 C
New Delhi

Won’t travel abroad without SC’s nod, says Anil Ambani

Won't travel abroad without SC's nod, says Anil Ambani

Anil Ambani (File photo)

New Delhi: ADAG head Anil Ambani undertook before Supreme Court Thursday that he would not leave the country without its permission to blunt the argument that he may flee India to avoid consequences of the ongoing probe into the alleged siphoning of Rs 40,000 crore from bank loans to ADAG companies. “I state on oath that I have not left India since July 2025, since the inception of the present investigations, and presently, have no plans or intention to travel outside India,” Ambani said. His counsel Mukul Rohatgi also pointed to the many ‘lookout circulars’ secured to prevent Ambani from leaving India.On Feb 4, retired IAS officer EAS Sarma, through counsel Prashant Bhushan, told a bench led by CJI Surya Kant that given the spread and size of the alleged fraud involving ADAG companies, Ambani, who is the principal accused, may leave the country like many others.Following through Rohatgi’s assurance, the ADAG chief said in the affidavit, “It is further undertaken that in the event any requirement of foreign travel arises, I shall seek prior leave and permission of SC before undertaking any such travel.” He also said he has been fully cooperating with CBI and ED in their investigation.He said he has been summoned to appear before ED on Feb 26. “I undertake to appear and join the investigation on the said date. I further undertake to fully cooperate with authorities, while ensuring procedural clarity and preventing any suggestion of evasion or selective presentation of facts by the petitioner (Sarma),” said the 66-year-old industrialist who appeared before ED once – on Aug 5 last year – but has since avoided doing so despite summons (Feb 18).The top court had asked CBI to register separate FIRs for each of the alleged instances of siphoning of money from bank loans, and had said that it would continue to monitor the probes of both CBI and ED.The court had asked them to file fresh status reports in four weeks.

Go to Source

Hot this week

Indian Navy ‘likely’ to commission third indigenous nuclear-powered submarine soon to boost its deterrence

India’s sea-based nuclear deterrent is expected to be strengthened soon as the country is likely to commission its third indigenous Arihant-class nuclear-powered ballistic missile submarine (SSBN), INS Aridhaman (designated S4) by April and May. Read More

Iran holds more drills with Russia

This image provided Thursday Feb. 19, 2026 by the Iranian military and dated Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2025, shows navy ships conducting operations during a join drill by Iranian and Russian forces in the Indian Ocean. Read More

‘I Like Women; Not Young, Handsome Men’: Trump’s Off-Script Remarks At Board Of Peace Draw Chuckles

S President Donald Trump on Thursday inaugurated his new Board of Peace, as he drew chuckles with his off-script remarks aimed at Paraguayan President Santiago Pena. Read More

UK Deputy PM David Lammy Mentions Kolkata Ancestry, Jokes About ‘India’s Son-In-Law’ Rishi Sunak

David Lammy spoke about his long-standing friendship with Rishi Sunak and their ability to work together despite political differences. Read More

500 Years Ago: How Bihar’s Farid Khan First Became ‘Sher Khan’ And Then ‘Sher Shah Suri’

Sher Shah Suri, who ruled from 1540-1545, achieved remarkable feats. Read More

Topics

Indian Navy ‘likely’ to commission third indigenous nuclear-powered submarine soon to boost its deterrence

India’s sea-based nuclear deterrent is expected to be strengthened soon as the country is likely to commission its third indigenous Arihant-class nuclear-powered ballistic missile submarine (SSBN), INS Aridhaman (designated S4) by April and May. Read More

Iran holds more drills with Russia

This image provided Thursday Feb. 19, 2026 by the Iranian military and dated Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2025, shows navy ships conducting operations during a join drill by Iranian and Russian forces in the Indian Ocean. Read More

‘I Like Women; Not Young, Handsome Men’: Trump’s Off-Script Remarks At Board Of Peace Draw Chuckles

S President Donald Trump on Thursday inaugurated his new Board of Peace, as he drew chuckles with his off-script remarks aimed at Paraguayan President Santiago Pena. Read More

UK Deputy PM David Lammy Mentions Kolkata Ancestry, Jokes About ‘India’s Son-In-Law’ Rishi Sunak

David Lammy spoke about his long-standing friendship with Rishi Sunak and their ability to work together despite political differences. Read More

Bagalkote Violence: Tensions Erupt During Shivaji Jayanti Procession, Prohibitory Orders Imposed

Authorities have imposed prohibitory orders in Bagalkote, Navanagar and Vidyagiri till February 24. Read More

Amrit Bharat Express To Offer Comfortable Travel From UP, Andhra, Bihar At Affordable Fares

The Amrit Bharat Express between Panvel and Alipurduar will run regularly with Vande Bharat-like facilities, 22 coaches, and direct connectivity to multiple states Go to Source Read More

Former Prince Andrew Released Hours After Arrest As Epstein-Linked Probe Intensifies

Show Quick Read Key points generated by AI, verified by newsroom Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly known as Prince Andrew, was released late Thursday after spending several hours in police custody over allegations of misconduct connect Read More

Related Articles